GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Machine Shop Talk & AG Parts Machining

3D-Printing: Calibrated Turret Bonnets – to switch them on the fly

(1/2) > >>

JungleShooter:
3D-Printing:  Calibrated Turret Bonnets – to switch them on the fly for a faster shot

I’m just coming from a thread where you all display your awesome 3-D creations!
https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=143205.0

I do some graphic design, but have no experience with CAD nor 3D printers. 
But seeing what’s possible my mind went in overdrive....

And I was wondering:
How useful would it be to have a scope with a set of distance+pellet calibrated turret bonnets? (3D printed)

What I mean is a customizable turret similar to that of the MTC Viper Pro scope – but better, faster! 
The Viper Pro has the option of inserting a customized turret tapes, so that the shooter does not need to dial moa or mils or clicks.
He/she simply sets the turret directly to the range for the shot (in yards or meters). Eliminates one big step in the process.

However, with the Viper Pro when you want to change the pellet you have to fiddle extensively with changing the turret tape. Not really practical on a hunt.

So, how about if we had 3D-printed calibrated turret bonnets = something the shape of a turret cap, but not to cover the numbers, simply a piece of plastic that conveniently attaches to a regular turret – and that has a calibrated turret tape permanently attached (in yards, meters, miles, light years, whatevery you prefer).

User Scenario:
On a walking hunt I expect close shots out to 30 yards. This is a good range for a Polymag in my .22, and so I capped my turret with a turret bonnet that I calibrated for this 16 grain pellet.
But then I spot a quarry in a treetop at 100y. With the wind blowing pretty strong, the Polymag's 0.024BC isn't that great.
I'd rather send a JSB Monster with 0.039BC after that bird.
But the clicks for this 25gr pellet will be vastly different than for the 16gr.
No prob. I simply pluck off the Polymag turret bonnet, and stick on the Monster turret bonnet. I have calibrated the respective turret tapes for each pellet.
I dial the turret directly to 100y as displayed on the turret tape of the bonnet. Shoot!

What do you think?

There's more:
I’m really liking the Falcon (UK) scopes.*
And their new turret design seem to almost scream at the shooter: “Please, attach something to me!!”
The photos below show the 6 holes on the top, where the bonnet could easily be connected with the turret with 6 stubby rods, just push it down, set....

So, any comments and ideas, any takers?  :)

*Falcon (UK) scopes with this particular style turret
S30  5-30x56
T50  10-50x60
S18i  3-18x50
M18+  4-18x44
http://www.falconoptics.com
(International shipping from the UK $32, no taxes to be paid in the UK)
https://www.ebay.co.uk/usr/falconoptics?_trksid=p2047675.l2559
Seller in the US:
https://www.swfa.com/optics/riflescopes.html?brand=Falcon
(SWFA sometimes does not have all the models, but go to Ebay.co.uk or order directly from the manufacturer)

BSJ:
If you're using a printed tape on your knob, you could have the numbers in two different colors. One for one pellet and another for the second.

I myself would not switch knobs mid hunt...

JungleShooter:
Yeah, that would be another design idea!:

A very tall turret – to give enough space for the numbers for half a dozen pellets!
Or for several different power settings in case of a power-adjustable PCP.

Scotchmo:
Or, instead of the distance on the turret, you can have the scope wheel show the number of clicks/holdover needed for each pellet.

My current wheel has a number of columns with only the one "HOLD" column dedicated to a specific pellet. I could easily add the data for other pellets instead of having wind and bracketing data.

With the capabilities of 3D printers, it is easier than ever to go from idea to model. It gets your mind thinking/trying all kinds of possibilities.

Westend-Vince:
JungleShooter, I like your idea!

I'm seeing a slip-on cap that would register in the hole pattern on turret, covering the existing numbers, that you could then put the appropriate tape on for your chosen pellet. You could have as many different ones as you like in you pocket.
If you can give me all the pertinent measurements (dia, hole size, hight, etc...) of the turret, I'd be glad to draw it up so you can have someone local print it for you.  If you don't mind, I'd like to use your idea to do something similar for my scopes.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version