GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > PCP/CO2/HPA Air Gun Gates "The Darkside"

.172 Build

(1/13) > >>

YEMX:
I can't remember if I posted about this build or not, but just in case I didn't- here we are.  Nothing complicated or anything that hasn't been done before...

Condor SS Frame
Green Mountain .172 barrel, 1:9 twist.  1/2-20 muzzle threads.  I think it's 24"+.  The blank was over an inch in O.D. and was $50.  That's why I got it.
Doug Noble internals, mods and top hat
RMPA Precision Trigger

I'd love to pick up an RMPA chassis, but there's no telling when those will come out.  I picked up a WokButt for the factory tank strap butt-plate.  Most of the rifle modifications are done, and she's actually on her way back here.  I just need to finish assembling the rifle and get some time to shoot her! 

I actually found a NOE 26 gr. .172 mold, and that's on it's way here as well.  I'm probably going to send it off to Erik and have the mold HP'd.   

TroyHammer:
I have a TJ .172 1-9 that's been in the rack almost 4 years now. I'll eventually do something with it. It's 28" 

sb327:
I’m considering putting one I’ve got on my pilot valve build. If it turns out to be a 9 twist. But I’d have to cut a mold and other stuff…..

I really just want to see what one of these little pills would do with 4500 shoved up its tail.

Keep us posted on how this turns out.

Dave

Back_Roads:
 If going to a HP mold you may find it very finicky to cast vs. a solid FN, been casting with a .172 mold that I had opened up and decked to 18.5 gr for my meager .177 slug guns.

Ribbonstone:
 AirForce would be a good test rig….nearly any diameter barrel can be fitted with new bushings. Airforce system can move a whole lot of air without much redesign.  While I really didn’t love the style rifle, did recognize what it did well.

Living vicariously….started playing in that direction some years back, lost the shop and the urge...but am interested in your results.

Thoughts then were:

1. Basic physics is against winning an energy race, but could win a trajectory/windage race.
2. Something “stupid” still happens at the transonic area, it’s just not quite the same brand of stupid as with pellets.

-----------
Am with Back-Roads about getting the mold hollow pointed...casting good .172” is hard enough, hollow point  (or hollow base) molds make any size bullet harder to cast uniformly.

If we hold pellets to certain standards of uniformity, for accuracy, tend to also hold slugs to pretty tight standards.  Reject rate is high, but every HP (or HB) mold works out to an even higher reject rate.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version