Thank you to our advertisers!

Author Topic: My new HW35E arrived this morning! :-)  (Read 907 times))

Offline desmobob

• Shape Shifting
  • Sharp Shooter
  • yes
Re: My new HW35E arrived this morning! :-)
« Reply #20 on: January 20, 2023, 07:03:17 PM »
Nice piece of lumber on that one. Believe it is a little lighter color than most I’ve seen recently, grain stands out nicely. Mine loves the AA 8.4 but is surprisingly not a fan of FTT.

I think the walnut on mine is "OK," only because I recently saw a photo of someone else's that had beautiful fiddleback from fore end to butt pad!  I'm happy with it and have ordered enough firearms to know that not everyone wins the walnut lottery.  I was happy that it didn't seem to be stained.  I had seen photo of some older ones that were stained very dark and I thought that was a shame.

As for the peep, I have plenty of experience with peep sights with my Colt Sporter HBAR and my Benjamin 392 (now there are two drastically different rifles!).  Both have a blade front but I was curious about those other inserts that come with the Weihrauch front sight.   I guess I need to get them out and experiment with them... don't know why I haven't...

Bob

• USA  upstate NY, Lake George region.

Offline desmobob

• Shape Shifting
  • Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2023, 12:49:55 PM »
It seems that my new HW35E loves RWS Superdomes as well as JSB Exact and Air Arms Diabolo pellets.  Using the Williams peep and the Weihrauch tapered post front insert, it was putting them into one ragged hole at 20 yards, which is about as good as I can expect to do with irons and my eyesight.

There was a problem, though.  The rear sight was creeping rearward fairly quickly.  I went back inside, took it off, and wiped down the rifle's dovetail grooves and the sight's clamping surfaces with alcohol, then put it back on.  No improvement.  I went a step farther and used brake cleaner to degrease the grooves and the sight, and put a coat of blue Loctite on the mating surfaces.  I had the red Loctite in my hand at one point, but chickened out.

I'll shoot some more tomorrow after it gets a chance to set up.  The Williams 5D-AG has two tiny allen screws and a very small slot-head screw as the means for clamping it onto the rifle's dovetail.  You can't torque it down nearly as tight as you can with conventional scope mounts so it might be difficult keeping it in place.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 01:27:56 PM by desmobob »

Offline byhsu

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #22 on: January 21, 2023, 01:15:24 PM »
Was gonna ask you about the peep sight moving,  i guess i got my answer,  i had also bought a peep sight for mine that i never installed. 

Instead i put a 1-5x24 scope on mine. 

Mine was shooting too fast due to the loose fitting piston seal,  so i changed it for a Vortek , which fits tighter and since i was in there i also polished the spring and installed a plastic sleeve made of water bottle material,  now it shoots with less recoil and no twang.

I have a tin on superdomes i haven't tried on the rifle,  i guys I'll have to try those on mine.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 01:20:47 PM by byhsu »
  • Corona, CA

Offline desmobob

• Shape Shifting
  • Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #23 on: January 21, 2023, 01:58:02 PM »
Give those Superdomes a try in your HW35E, Pablo!  They shoot best in a couple of my air rifles.

I just ordered the AirForce Adaptive diopter sight.  (They're on back-order most everywhere, so it will be a couple of weeks, minimum.)  They use a more robust dovetail clamp that has four larger allen screws.  I should be able to make it stay in place...  time will tell!

I was half-expecting to want or need to tune the HW35E in some way but it seems very good the way it is.  I'm going to leave it alone for now.  I expect it will only get even better as it breaks in.

Offline jkingrph

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #24 on: January 21, 2023, 04:15:11 PM »
I have used those later Williams airgun receiver sights, but only on CO2 guns so no idea how well they stay put on a springer.  I do have several Anschutz diopter sights, but they have two fairly large slotted thumb screws on a long slotted piece that fits the dovetail rail on the gun, so a lot of clamping surface .. I have never had a problem with any of them moving.    My older Beeman/Williams receiver sight fits the dovetail snugly, none of those little allen screws to clamp, but it does have a larger allen  set screw that clamps down on top of the receiver, so no movement from it.
  • USA, TX, Jacksonville

Online MDriskill

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2023, 05:23:47 PM »
YES, the Anschutz front sight centers up just fine. The front mounting grooves are spaced at approx. 9 mm on both Anschutz and HW rifles (and Diana as well).
Wood, steel, and leather...all you need for a proper airgun!

Offline desmobob

• Shape Shifting
  • Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2023, 06:42:06 PM »
I have used those later Williams airgun receiver sights, but only on CO2 guns so no idea how well they stay put on a springer.  I do have several Anschutz diopter sights, but they have two fairly large slotted thumb screws on a long slotted piece that fits the dovetail rail on the gun, so a lot of clamping surface .. I have never had a problem with any of them moving.    My older Beeman/Williams receiver sight fits the dovetail snugly, none of those little allen screws to clamp, but it does have a larger allen  set screw that clamps down on top of the receiver, so no movement from it.

I hope I can make it stay for now.  Those two allen screws that clamp it to the dovetail are TINY.  It was a bit unnerving tightening them up.  And the single slotted screw on the top isn't much larger.  Maybe it was never intended to be mounted on a springer...   I have one on my Benjamin 392 and it's trouble-free.

Hopefully, the AirForce Adaptive Sight will be in stock in a couple of weeks.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2023, 07:04:15 PM by desmobob »

Offline byhsu

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2023, 06:58:23 PM »
that air force rear sight can also be put on a scope mount with scope stop.  I thought about getting one, but they are too pricey and my eyesight is not too good, so I'm afraid that I wouldn't be able to see what I'm shooting at.
  • Corona, CA

Offline desmobob

• Shape Shifting
  • Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2023, 07:09:45 PM »
that air force rear sight can also be put on a scope mount with scope stop.  I thought about getting one, but they are too pricey and my eyesight is not too good, so I'm afraid that I wouldn't be able to see what I'm shooting at.

I'm very nearsighted and, now that I'm older, my near vision is not so hot, either.  I wear contact lenses to correct my nearsightedness and use 2.50 diopter readers for close up stuff.  I found I can shoot a lot better with standard open sights if I wear weak readers: 1.00 diopter.  I was even able to find safety glasses that had full-lens 1.00 diopter.  With those, I can focus on the front sight and am still able to see at distance.

I'm still able to do OK with peep sights.  Looking through the small peep actually helps sharpen the image of the front sight.

Offline cjtamu

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2023, 10:26:46 PM »
Bayman has a Tech peep sight on at least one HW and seems to like it quite a bit. I’ve seen several other folks sing their praises. Not sure which fits the HW, but if the AirForce stays on back order might be worth looking into. I have a Williams FP-TK on a Diana 34, no problems so far with it staying put.
  • USA, TX, Bay City

Offline desmobob

• Shape Shifting
  • Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2023, 11:11:15 PM »
Bayman has a Tech peep sight on at least one HW and seems to like it quite a bit. I’ve seen several other folks sing their praises. Not sure which fits the HW, but if the AirForce stays on back order might be worth looking into. I have a Williams FP-TK on a Diana 34, no problems so far with it staying put.

Thanks!  I did take a look at their sights a while back and didn't really care for them.  I'll take another look!  If the AirForce sight is back-ordered too long, I KNOW I can make the William sight stay in place somehow...   ;)

Bob

Offline desmobob

• Shape Shifting
  • Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2023, 10:43:50 AM »
I noticed the Minelli logo at the bottom rear of the pistol grip checkering on the latest Weihrauch springer stocks but the HW35E has a small logo that looks like a "C" and a "T".  Anyone know who makes the HW35E stocks?  Just curious...

Offline north country gal

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2023, 11:42:11 AM »
I have never had an issue with a Williams peep moving on a springer, BUT there is a right way and a wrong way to install a Williams. The two very small allen screws on the side of the sight for mounting are only there to take the wiggle out of the sight when getting it mounted. Do not over-tighten or you will easily strip them out. You anchor the sight tight with the large slotted screw on the top of the sight as the final step.
  • Rhinelander, Wi

Offline desmobob

• Shape Shifting
  • Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #33 on: January 22, 2023, 05:50:37 PM »
I have never had an issue with a Williams peep moving on a springer, BUT there is a right way and a wrong way to install a Williams. The two very small allen screws on the side of the sight for mounting are only there to take the wiggle out of the sight when getting it mounted. Do not over-tighten or you will easily strip them out. You anchor the sight tight with the large slotted screw on the top of the sight as the final step.

Thanks for the info, Joanie!

I did tighten it up in that order, if only by accident.  I re-mounted it today with a scope stop behind it, as an experiment.  It didn't work out that well. 

It mounted OK but aperture eyepiece of the Williams sight bottomed against the scope stop when I was trying to adjust the elevation.  I couldn't figure out why things weren't going as they should when I noticed it was contacting the scope stop and the top of the sight was flexing up very slightly.  I did some material removal on the scope stop to make clearance and tried again.  It was fine after that, but I preferred having the peep closer to my eye like it was before I moved it forward to add he scope stop.

I got a little frustrated, pulled everything off and mounted a scope for now.  I'll wait for my AirForce Adaptive sight order to arrive before I switch back to a peep.  In the meantime, I can do more serious pellet testing with the added sighting precision of a scope.  At least I hope so... it's an inexpensive Nikko-Stirling 4-16 x 50 GameKing I picked up on sale years ago.  It's been kicking around the bench for a while so I stuck it on the HW35E temporarily.  I'll find out how it works out tomorrow...

Offline north country gal

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #34 on: January 22, 2023, 05:55:06 PM »
I've used some of those Nikko-Sterlings. They were okay, nothing great, but plenty good enough for my uses at the time. Give that one a try.
  • Rhinelander, Wi

Offline Cslinger

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #35 on: January 24, 2023, 08:17:23 PM »
I use rubbing alcohol on my dovetails and sight mating surfaces to clean them and then a little clear nail polish when I install them. I usually put a mark in the sight and reference it to one of letters or symbols on the “billboard” at the rear left of the receiver and grab a picture so I can check it now and then. To date I’ve never had a sight move on a 30, 35, 95, or 77.

Offline Bayman

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #36 on: January 24, 2023, 10:44:38 PM »
I used to flip flop between the Williams peeps and a scope almost daily on my first Hw30. It was a breeze and no scope stop needed with good rings with a recoil pin.

I mounted the Williams as far back as I could with still being able to use the safety button. I used a 2-7x32 Airmax mounted on T02C Sportsmatch rings that have a recoil pin. When I wanted to scope the rifle I simply took off the Williams elevator portion and left the base. Mount the scope with the recoil pin in a hole ahead of the Williams base.. The ocular cleared the Williams base easily and the scope never moved because I used good rings with a recoil pin.

VERY EASY.

I loved shooting that rifle with both sighting systems so much that I was constantly flip flopping between them. Eventually I realized that I simply needed another Hw30. So I bought another one. If you don't have the money for another rifle I gave you your solution above.

Enjoy your new rifle. It probably won't be your last. Trust me.

HTH
  • USA,
Hw30- .177- Vortek PG2, Tech sights
Hw30 Laminate- .177- Vortek PG2, Hawke
Airmax 2-7x32 AO. 
Hw30-.177 Vortek PG3 steel, Hawke Vantage IR 2-7x32 AO
Hw50- .177- Vortek PG3, Hawke 4X non A/O
Hw95- .177- Vortek PG2, Hawke Airmax 3-9x40
R9 SE (Blue Laminate stock) - 0.020- Vortek PG4, Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO
Hw97SE (Green 77 Laminate stock)-.177 Vortek PG3, Hawke 4-12x40 Airmax
R1-.177 now 0.22 - Vortek Pg4, Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO
Hw95 Field Pro 0.22 custom Vortek kit, Hawke 3-9x40 Vantage AO
P1- 0.20 now .177

Offline desmobob

• Shape Shifting
  • Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #37 on: January 24, 2023, 10:53:24 PM »
I use rubbing alcohol on my dovetails and sight mating surfaces to clean them and then a little clear nail polish when I install them. I usually put a mark in the sight and reference it to one of letters or symbols on the “billboard” at the rear left of the receiver and grab a picture so I can check it now and then. To date I’ve never had a sight move on a 30, 35, 95, or 77.

Thanks for the tip.

I used alcohol the first time and then brake cleaner and LocTite the second time and the Williams still crept.  No big deal... since I'm going to be taking it off soon and replacing it the AirForce sight, it's nothing I'm going to fidget with any longer.  The AirForce has a much more robust mount with four clamp screws, so it would hold fine after a good degreasing of the dovetail and mount.

Offline Bayman

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #38 on: January 24, 2023, 11:04:00 PM »
I misunderstood what you were trying to do. The Williams should stay on a Hw35. I wouldn't recommend nail polish or loctite on the dovetails. They need to be clean and dry. Doesn't matter you're not using them anymore any way
  • USA,
Hw30- .177- Vortek PG2, Tech sights
Hw30 Laminate- .177- Vortek PG2, Hawke
Airmax 2-7x32 AO. 
Hw30-.177 Vortek PG3 steel, Hawke Vantage IR 2-7x32 AO
Hw50- .177- Vortek PG3, Hawke 4X non A/O
Hw95- .177- Vortek PG2, Hawke Airmax 3-9x40
R9 SE (Blue Laminate stock) - 0.020- Vortek PG4, Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO
Hw97SE (Green 77 Laminate stock)-.177 Vortek PG3, Hawke 4-12x40 Airmax
R1-.177 now 0.22 - Vortek Pg4, Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO
Hw95 Field Pro 0.22 custom Vortek kit, Hawke 3-9x40 Vantage AO
P1- 0.20 now .177

Offline desmobob

• Shape Shifting
  • Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #39 on: January 24, 2023, 11:27:59 PM »
I used to flip flop between the Williams peeps and a scope almost daily on my first Hw30. It was a breeze and no scope stop needed with good rings with a recoil pin.

I mounted the Williams as far back as I could with still being able to use the safety button. I used a 2-7x32 Airmax mounted on T02C Sportsmatch rings that have a recoil pin. When I wanted to scope the rifle I simply took off the Williams elevator portion and left the base. Mount the scope with the recoil pin in a hole ahead of the Williams base.. The ocular cleared the Williams base easily and the scope never moved because I used good rings with a recoil pin.

VERY EASY.

I loved shooting that rifle with both sighting systems so much that I was constantly flip flopping between them. Eventually I realized that I simply needed another Hw30. So I bought another one. If you don't have the money for another rifle I gave you your solution above.

Enjoy your new rifle. It probably won't be your last. Trust me.

HTH

I have two HW30s (actually an HW30 and Beeman R7)... one scoped and one with iron sights.  They are probably the easiest springers to keep a scope on in existence with their super smooth and mild shot cycle.  The HW35 is more abrupt with its big 30mm short stroke piston.  I have no doubt I'll be able to get the new sight to stay in place and can drill and tap it for a stop screw if necessary, but doubt it will be.  (I think the springer I had the most trouble keeping a scope in place on is my HW90.) 

I have a theory that part of the problem could possibly involve the use of certain "super lubes" I now use to wipe down the rifle (including the dovetail).  Again, just a theory. I believe some of them do indeed leave a very durable and very slippery coating on the metal that might not come off with a simple alcohol cleaning.   

I noticed something when touching up two powder burners with Brownells Oxpho-Blue.  Oxpho can be applied without degreasing -- Brownells instructions even say the chemical goes though the oil into the metal.  The typical application method is to rub it into the area needing touch-up with flannel or 0000 steel wool.  On the older rifle that had only ever been wiped down with RemOil, the Oxpho blued the nicks and worn areas easily, while on the other, newer, rifle that had only ever been wiped down with a modern ceramic lube, the blueing just would not take until I did some repeated and aggressive degreasing.   

I'll be sure to very thoroughly degrease the HW35 dovetail area before mounting the new diopter sight when it arrives.  As always, I appreciate the suggestions.

Bob
« Last Edit: January 24, 2023, 11:30:29 PM by desmobob »