Thank you to our advertisers!

Author Topic: Post Pandemic Squirrel Hunting  (Read 2455 times))

Offline Bicycleman

• Just another
  • GTA Senior Contributor
Re: Post Pandemic Squirrel Hunting
« Reply #160 on: January 06, 2023, 09:28:06 PM »
Nice one Mike!
Always good to hear from you Dave.  Thanks for the compliment.
  • USA - Tennessee  --  Murfreesboro
Murfreesboro, Tennessee - Was Louisiana
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went. Will Rogers.
Faites-moi une faveur: Ne pissez pas sur la poignée de la pompe !                
Abbreviations / Acronyms ---> http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=51866.0;topicseen

Offline Spacebus

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #161 on: January 06, 2023, 09:40:49 PM »
The red in the top photo looks a bit older, with a really nice pelt. I got a young female this morning, about a mile from my house as the crow flies. the first shot was a miss, but the red gave me another chance pretty quickly. She was about 50' up a big spruce tree quartering towards me on a branch. I was aiming a bit high thinking since the shot was so high up I would hit low. It was nice being able to see the tracks in fresh snow. Saw a lot of snowshoe hare tracks which got me pretty excited. Need to learn more about how to hunt them with a rifle.
DJ, thank you for your comment.  The squirrel in the first picture had lots of blood all over from the head shot, and jumping around like they sometimes do.  It was so young, its testicles had not dropped yet.  I moved it from where it died because it was on the shady side of a crevice, almost buried in the leaves.  All three squirrels are Eastern Gray Squirrels.  They are more abundant than the Fox Squirrels and much smaller too.

I have not yet encountered undescended testicles. The squirrel I hit in the head today also jumped around like crazy. Nice shooting today! I would love to get some grey squirrels, but they are so scarce in my county, and usually only found in towns where they can't be hunted anyway.
  • USA, ME,  Machias
USA Ret.

Crosman 362 #785
"Mike Tuned" Ruger Airhawk .177
Chiana Bandito .25 regulated
SPA PR900W .22 regulated
Daisy 901
Seneca Eagle Claw .25 (36.5 g NOE 249-39 950 FPS)
A.E.A. .45 Bullpup (222 g NOE BBT 960 FPS)
Yong Heng & Hatsan 1.6l bottle

Offline Bicycleman

• Just another
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #162 on: January 06, 2023, 09:49:26 PM »
The Gray Squirrels are very abundant, as I mentioned.  They are quick, crafty, and tough.  I have hit several in the head with .22 caliber pellets and have them crawl a short distance while I reloaded to finish the job.  One of the two I shot Wednesday was hit in the neck, paralyzed, and still breathing.  It is a mystery to me as to how those British guys kill them with the sub-12-foot-pound air guns.
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went. Will Rogers.
Abbreviations / Acronyms ---> http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=51866.0;topicseen

Offline Bicycleman

• Just another
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #163 on: January 16, 2023, 04:57:41 PM »
A little hunting update:  A week ago [Monday the 9th] was the last hunt I made.  Deer season ended on the Sunday; so I was able to go out to the second permission.  The woods were very quiet - no birds' noises, no wind, and no Gray Squirrels were sighted.  I did see several [maybe four] Eastern Fox Squirrels playing on the ground and running around the trunk of a Hickory tree.  It looked like they may have been doing the mating dance.  However, they were not too busy to spot me at about 70 yards distance and scampered away.  I walked about 40 of the 50 acres of woods and got home before dark.  It was a good day to look over the second permission.  Since then, the weather has not been cooperating.  I told my Judy that I might hunt tomorrow afternoon after the rain stops.  Wish me luck!

Offline A.K.A. Tommy Boy

• All Bottom Shelf Air Guns
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Small Game Hunter
« Reply #164 on: January 16, 2023, 11:27:55 PM »
A little hunting update:  A week ago [Monday the 9th] was the last hunt I made.  Deer season ended on the Sunday; so I was able to go out to the second permission.  The woods were very quiet - no birds' noises, no wind, and no Gray Squirrels were sighted.  I did see several [maybe four] Eastern Fox Squirrels playing on the ground and running around the trunk of a Hickory tree.  It looked like they may have been doing the mating dance.  However, they were not too busy to spot me at about 70 yards distance and scampered away.  I walked about 40 of the 50 acres of woods and got home before dark.  It was a good day to look over the second permission.  Since then, the weather has not been cooperating.  I told my Judy that I might hunt tomorrow afternoon after the rain stops.  Wish me luck!

Hi Mike.

Nice Day in the Woods.
Good scouting walk-a-bout.
The weather will clear and the squirrels will be back.

Best Wishes - Tom
  • The North Woods
25 cal. Hatsan 125TH Magnum Spring Piston (Thumb Hole Stock)  
25 cal. Hatsan Striker - Vortex (Gas Ram)
22 cal. Walther Talon Magnum Spring Piston  (A Hatsan 125 Magnum)
22 cal. Crosman Summit Ranger - NP2 (Gas Ram)
22 cal. Crosman Diamond Back NP2 Elite (Gas Ram)
22 cal. Crosman Redtail NP (Gas Ram)   
22 cal. Umarex Surge Max Elite - TNT ReAxis  (Gas Ram)         
117 cal. Umarex NXG APX (Multi Pump)

A Picture of My Rifles:   > https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=202334.0;attach=413068;image

In The Picture From Left To Right = The 2 Umarex Rifles, The 2 Crosman Rifles, The 4 Hatsan Rifles

Note : The Hatsan Edge Vortex Rifle is down for repairs.

The 22 cal Walther Talon Magnum Rifle - A 22 cal. Hatsan Edge/ Striker Barrel - The Edge rifle stock on the Hatsan Striker - were gifts from SteveP-52

Offline Bicycleman

• Just another
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #165 on: January 17, 2023, 09:39:48 AM »
Thanks Tom.  Yes, the days in the woods are precious. 
I still have space in the freezer; so there is more hunting to do.

Offline ranchibi

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #166 on: January 17, 2023, 06:47:26 PM »
Mike, I second Tom's sentiment about getting out there! I hope to get some ground squirrel pesting in soon!
  • U.S. CA
JSAR Raptor .22 TJ slug barrel Discovery HD 5-20X50 SFIR FFP
RAW HM1000x LRT Chassis .22 Athlon Ares BTR 2.5-15x50 FFP MOA APLR3 Gen2
Beeman P17
PRod Discovery HD 4-20x50 FFP SFIR

Offline Bicycleman

• Just another
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #167 on: January 17, 2023, 09:14:09 PM »
Thanks, Randall.  The day was indeed well suited for woods walking.  The temperature was just right, the sun was bright, and all was well in my world.
Good luck with the ground squirrels.  I'll be watching for some reports and pictures.

Offline only1harry

• One of the original 3 GTA Musketeers (per Gene Curtis)
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ! (come and get them)
« Reply #168 on: January 19, 2023, 01:37:24 AM »
Have you been out yet Mike?  The walk/exercise and vitamin D you get from the sun are greatly beneficial, so a squirrel is just a bonus. 
Doc has me on vitamin D because I don't get out much and my levels were low.  I thought it was enough reading your posts, Wayne's and others' going into the woods, but he didn't appreciate the humor  ;D 
  • Hudson Valley, NY
Pro-tuned guns:

AF Condor .25 #1,  Condor .25 #2
Condor .22,  Marauder .25,  Disco .22 camo
RWS Diana 350 .22,  RWS Diana 48 .22,
RWS 34K .20 Premium #17 of 30 custom built by Diana
RWS Diana 36 .177  (Gene & Bob tuned)

Factory stock & home tuned:

Benji Akela .22 bullpup
Gauntlet .22,  Disco .22 #2,
Fortitude .22, Prod .22
RWS 350 .177,  RWS 5G .177
Hammerli 850 .22,  Crosman 2240KT
Remington NPSS .22, Umarex M&P 45
Crosman 66,  Crosman 760, Beeman P17
Crosman Air17,  Crosman 38T
Several other Umarex & Crosman CO2 pistols

Offline Bicycleman

• Just another
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #169 on: January 19, 2023, 09:58:19 AM »
Good morning, Harry.  Yes, sir; getting out for a woods walk has it benefits.  Today is not the best day to be in the woods though.  We had a rain event last night and it is predicted to be very windy today.  Tomorrow is a possibility thought.  Rubber boots would be in style for manly footwear!
My Judy and I have a family doctor who is very young.  She has been in practice about six years and is a joy to visit with.  She is on the cutting edge of medicine and has served us well as the years have presented those little problems.  I am thinking about trying that story about getting Vitamin D from reading hunting posts, and see how she reacts.  Probably she would smile and shake her head in the 'NO' fashion.
Thanks for the post, my friend, and be well.

Offline Back_Roads

• I Got A 15 Pump BB Gun :) BB Guns Got Much More Complicated :)
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • 1st Edition Crosman 760 Pump Master
    • Back_Roads Airguning
« Reply #170 on: January 20, 2023, 09:00:34 AM »
 It has been overcast in most of Wayne's videos also so I bet that is part to blame for low D ;)

Offline Bicycleman

• Just another
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #171 on: January 20, 2023, 11:52:08 AM »
That could have something to do with it.

Offline Bicycleman

• Just another
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #172 on: January 23, 2023, 09:27:23 PM »
Has anyone, other than me, ever fantasied about meeting a beautiful woman in the woods? 
Well, it happened today - sort of:  I saw a young woman coming through the woods at a fast walk/slow jog.  She passed in front of where I was standing at a distance of about 25 Yards.  Because her attention was on her footing in the rocks and the cattle in the woods, she never looked in my direction. ::)   I later learned that the rancher and this lady ranch hand were trying to drive five young cows back into the front pasture.  The five young cows had jumped a fence; but only two were returned to the front pasture.  When asked how the drive had gone, the rancher said it was 40% successful.

The hunt?  Well I realized that there was too much activity in the woods for successful squirrel hunting and went home early.

Offline Bicycleman

• Just another
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #173 on: February 04, 2023, 09:25:16 PM »
February 4, 2023  -  Saturday

This afternoon, my son and I hunted at Permission #1.  The hunt today helped to confirm a theory I have been developing for the past several years (since I moved to Tennessee).  It seems that the Gray Squirrels around here all go to Louisiana in early January and don't return until late February.  We hunted for about two and a half hours and saw exactly zero squirrels.  But it was very nice to be in the woods on this warm afternoon.

Stay well, everybody.

Offline A.K.A. Tommy Boy

• All Bottom Shelf Air Guns
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Small Game Hunter
« Reply #174 on: February 04, 2023, 10:08:26 PM »
Hi Mike.

You'll get em sooner or later.  ;)
You know you will !  ;D
Anyways a walk in the woods, with your son, is always time well spent.

As for me, I harvested a nice Cottion Tail early on this evening.
I had been patterning it's tracks all winter.
I had been trying to take this big one for quite a while.
It only moved around in the woods after dark and was gone by sunrise.
I took it down with the 25cal Hatsan Vortex Striker/Edge.
The range was 15 yards.
I was using Open Sights/No Scope.
I was shooting 25cal Eunjin/Senica 43.2 gr. Pointed Hunting pellets.
There was enough moon light to shoot by and it stood out well against the white snow cover.

Best Wishes - Tom

• The North Woods
25 cal. Hatsan 125TH Magnum Spring Piston (Thumb Hole Stock)  
25 cal. Hatsan Striker - Vortex (Gas Ram)
22 cal. Walther Talon Magnum Spring Piston  (A Hatsan 125 Magnum)
22 cal. Crosman Summit Ranger - NP2 (Gas Ram)
22 cal. Crosman Diamond Back NP2 Elite (Gas Ram)
22 cal. Crosman Redtail NP (Gas Ram)   
22 cal. Umarex Surge Max Elite - TNT ReAxis  (Gas Ram)         
117 cal. Umarex NXG APX (Multi Pump)

A Picture of My Rifles:   > https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?action=dlattach;topic=202334.0;attach=413068;image

In The Picture From Left To Right = The 2 Umarex Rifles, The 2 Crosman Rifles, The 4 Hatsan Rifles

Note : The Hatsan Edge Vortex Rifle is down for repairs.

The 22 cal Walther Talon Magnum Rifle - A 22 cal. Hatsan Edge/ Striker Barrel - The Edge rifle stock on the Hatsan Striker - were gifts from SteveP-52

Offline Bicycleman

• Just another
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #175 on: February 05, 2023, 10:35:20 AM »
Good morning, Tom; and congratulations on getting that big Cottontail. 
There are a couple that frequent my front lawn.  One was there this morning when I got up to make coffee [pre-dawn].  But they get a pass as they are my Judy's pets.  They were babies when we first saw them in our backyard.  That moon last night was bright enough for sure - the one in my yard was easily visible against the green and brown of our lawn.