Thank you to our advertisers!

Author Topic: Marauder accuracy/tuning trials/New Member/First try  (Read 730 times))

Offline Deckard1973

• Sharp Shooter
  • What are you looking at?
Re: Marauder accuracy/tuning trials/New Member/First try
« Reply #20 on: September 18, 2022, 12:18:11 PM »
I spoke with Pyramyd Air and returned the gun.  They really are great to work with.  I didn't turn it is for exchange, I turned it in for refund.  Now to decide what I want to do next because I want a good airgun.  I would have been very happy with this gun if it grouped per their reputation.  I didn't really like the scope but would have left well enough alone.  I'm sure I don't want the combo, I will buy a scope separate.

3 things I wanted were accuracy, good trigger, and quiet.  Accuracy didn't work out.  Loved the gun other than that.  I'm impressed by the higher end guns and would love one but then I will wind up with too much gun and something I can't use on my property.

If the regulated marauder came with a synthetic stock that is what I would buy.  Nice stock but heavier I don't know if I want that. I liked the weight and feel of the synrod, not near as front end heavy as my friends Gauntlet.

Should I just get the regulated marauder and deal with the increased weight or buy a synthetic marauder and regulate it?
Barry

I have a GEN I Mrod, and a Armada.
In mine, I found accuracy the best around 900fps for a JSB 18.13grn pellet.  Mine also like the 5.52mm head size the best. 
If I do my part, I can get the 5 For 5 Dime Challenge at 35yrds, bi-pod supported prone, shooting jacket.
I do recommend getting it regulated.  But I have a Tim Hill aftermarket parts kit, I put in myself.
  • Central NY
Benjamin Armada .22
Tim Hill Regulated Match Parts Kit
SWFA SS20x42
IOR Valdada 4x24M1

IZH 46M

Offline triggertreat

• ...2017 GTA (PCP class) ...Fun Shoot Winner
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • ☉ Aim high and shoot far ☆
« Reply #21 on: September 18, 2022, 12:30:16 PM »
The regulated Marauder reports seem to be disappointing in regard to having much plenum space for power.  Maybe those more knowledgeable about them will comment.

I think I would try for another unregulated one with hopes of better accuracy.  When you get a good one, they are really nice.

My two Marauders are both with synthetic stocks thus lighter, but some complain about the flex they have over wooden stocks.  I do not have a problem with any flex but yes if I want to flex them at the muzzle end, I suppose I could.
  • USA - Tennessee
(1 Corinthians 2:9)   Eyes have not seen, ears have not heard, neither has any mind imagined, what God is preparing for those who love Him.

22 Marauder (MMHF) - Reflex
25 Marauder - Reflex
25 FX Impact II - Shogun
30 FX Impact II - Shogun
357 Slayer - Emperor
AV-4500
Stikman

Online Rick67

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #22 on: September 18, 2022, 12:47:17 PM »
I spoke with Pyramyd Air and returned the gun.  They really are great to work with.  I didn't turn it is for exchange, I turned it in for refund.  Now to decide what I want to do next because I want a good airgun.  I would have been very happy with this gun if it grouped per their reputation.  I didn't really like the scope but would have left well enough alone.  I'm sure I don't want the combo, I will buy a scope separate.

3 things I wanted were accuracy, good trigger, and quiet.  Accuracy didn't work out.  Loved the gun other than that.  I'm impressed by the higher end guns and would love one but then I will wind up with too much gun and something I can't use on my property.

If the regulated marauder came with a synthetic stock that is what I would buy.  Nice stock but heavier I don't know if I want that. I liked the weight and feel of the synrod, not near as front end heavy as my friends Gauntlet.

Should I just get the regulated marauder and deal with the increased weight or buy a synthetic marauder and regulate it?
Barry

You may want to check out Airgun Revisions.

He has Crosman and Benjamin guns that have been tuned.

Rick Dudek, the owner, is a master tuner and builder.
  • Abq., NM, USA

Offline triggertreat

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #23 on: September 18, 2022, 12:52:49 PM »
I would also take a look at the new Airacuda and Airacuda Max air gun threads on here.  I am hoping to get one of these air guns myself.  They offer a lot with having nice stocks and side levers at a very affordable price and are designed by our very own Travis (old pro) who owns the GTA.
  • USA - Tennessee
(1 Corinthians 2:9)   Eyes have not seen, ears have not heard, neither has any mind imagined, what God is preparing for those who love Him.

25 Marauder - Reflex
25 FX Impact II - Shogun
30 FX Impact II - Shogun
357 Slayer - Emperor
AV-4500
Stikman

Offline bear air

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #24 on: September 18, 2022, 02:59:15 PM »
That standard has my attention. Looks like it would be a great hunting rig.
  • Sioux City IA, USA
Psalm 107:14  He brought them out of darkness and the deepest gloom and broke away their chains

Offline 3crows

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #25 on: September 19, 2022, 11:37:29 AM »
I sent an email to Crosman tech last week to inquiring about this and got a reply today.  They attached a "tuning guide" but it is really just start numbers for settings.  I have read so many posts including several that indicated they never got factory settings.  Maybe this is just that.  I'll try it this am.  Its for the .177, the .22, and the .25 Marauder.  I'll give them a try.
Here they are:

Benjamin Marauder Tuning

BP1764
Hammer Spring 3 turns
Striker 8 turns
Valve Meter 2 turns

BP2264 / BTAP22
Hammer Spring 3 turns
Striker 6.5 / 7 turns
Valve Meter 2 turns

BP2564 BTAP25
Hammer Spring 3.5 turns
Striker 4 turns
Valve Meter 3.5 turns

This is curious because my NIB .25 Marauder was tuned from the factory with the three turns in on the hammer spring and the striker full in (0 turns). At that setting it made about 42 to 44 fpe.

I will tell you I am a PCP newb but a long time shooter of gun shaped things. Your issue is not tuning but something other such as a loose breech, bad crown, something touching or pushing the barrel, bent shroud or a shroud with a breech end not square or such as that. I would return the rifle. My .25 caliber with Crosman barrel is at least MOA or better which means at 25 yards a .25 c/c group with no fliers.

I say it is not a tuning issue because as you describe the rifle shoots randomly or inconsistently. A otherwise accurate rifle with a tuning problem would at least consistently do the same things with each fill (talking unregulated), my opinion.

With an unregulated rifle you have two directions to move in it seems to me, tune for low(er) power and flatten the velocity curve and thus tighten the groups up or tune for power, understand the curve will be a steeper bell at best and live with the a larger velocity spread. The Marauder like all no bottle rifles has a limited reservoir capacity. Again, my thinking, has I wanted a target shooter I would have gone .177, for a .22 or a .25, well, those are hunting calibers and I tuned my rifles for power.

I think you have a defective rifle. If with the shroud removes it shoots well or improved groups then something is putting pressure on the barrel. I spend many hours, even years, free floating my PB barrels and come to the (hyper) expensive PCP world only to find all manner of junk hanging on the barrels  :o.

James
  • USA, West Monroe, La.
Swim, Bike, Run, Shoot and Repeat
Daisy Red Rider
Crosman V350
Crosman 140 .22
Stoeger X20 .177
Benjamin 392
Benjamin 392 Steroid
Gamo Urban .22
Umarex G2 .25
Marauder .25 Gen 1
Marauder .25 Gen 2
Marauder .25 Super Light

Offline moorepower

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2022, 09:49:22 PM »
I know that it got sent back, but I don't understand how it went from 1/8"-1/4" to huge groups unless something else happened, and I am not suggesting that the OP screwed it up.
  • Nebraska eastern

Offline 3crows

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2022, 11:14:59 AM »
I know that it got sent back, but I don't understand how it went from 1/8"-1/4" to huge groups unless something else happened, and I am not suggesting that the OP screwed it up.

I was curious myself. A rifle does not shoot accurately and then not, unless something has changed. The usual culprit is the scope and/or rings. But in the case of the Marauder platform and the myriad copies thereof there are breech screws, barrel to adapter screws, breech to adapter screws, the shroud and then the shroud band and then all of that stack of plastic cones in front of the muzzle crown. There are just so many things that we in the PB world do not have to consider. If accuracy goes from good to bad then something changed and IMO this was never a tuning issue but some sort of mechanical problem.

I am always very, very suspicious of scopes and their mounting contrivances. Just saying, something is moving around.

James
« Last Edit: September 22, 2022, 11:27:06 AM by 3crows »
  • USA, West Monroe, La.
Swim, Bike, Run, Shoot and Repeat
Daisy Red Rider
Crosman V350
Crosman 140 .22
Stoeger X20 .177
Benjamin 392
Benjamin 392 Steroid
Gamo Urban .22
Umarex G2 .25
Marauder .25 Gen 1
Marauder .25 Gen 2
Marauder .25 Super Light

Offline AlanMcD

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2022, 02:13:58 PM »
I'll add that different tins of pellets can make a huge difference.  Once I learned that fact, I started hanging on to the last 50 pellets or so out of great shooting tins for each air gun, to have to trouble shoot if things go sideways in the future.  It has saved my sanity a few times to prove to myself that the issue is a different batch of ammo . . . .
  • Michigan

Offline bear air

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #29 on: September 22, 2022, 08:04:10 PM »
I keep my pellet orders together and I always check the next in line tin before I clear out the current one. The marauder can be a real ... I have had to trouble shoot a couple over the years and  it can be very nerve racking.
  • Sioux City IA, USA
Psalm 107:14  He brought them out of darkness and the deepest gloom and broke away their chains

Offline triggertreat

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #30 on: September 22, 2022, 11:09:21 PM »
I agree a change in pellet tins can make a difference in accuracy sometimes in either direction.  The severity of change can also vary by the quality of the barrel.  Those with button rifling and oversized bores are the worst.
  • USA - Tennessee

25 Marauder - Reflex
25 FX Impact II - Shogun
30 FX Impact II - Shogun
357 Slayer - Emperor
AV-4500
Stikman

Offline Dave S

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2022, 07:07:26 PM »
I bought a FT M-Rod several years ago. Took it to Tim and he went through the gun replacing every O Ring with 90 D Urethane. He said, "Good! and this this one is unregulated!" He crowned  the Barrel and this one is a Tack Driver at 12 meters..  I won't have to mess with this on for another 12 years! ;D I shoot 18 Gr. Exacts. dave
  • USA, CA, Santa Ana