GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Back Room

GTA Wounded Warriors

<< < (2/6) > >>

Humble308:
Hey Dave it's really awesome what GTA is doing for WWs, I'm humbled at the feed back vets are getting.

You asked....I was in 3rd BT 5th Marines deployed to Sangin, Afghanistan 10-11'.  I received shrapnel in the back after a 40mm 203 grenade sympathetically detonated when my Sgt crawled over an victim activated IED.  Along with 3 concussions. One from driving over an small IED (bout 10 lbs) when I was using the 7-Ton transport vehicle to knock down buildings. Another from us hitting a 40lber in another vehicle (that hurt! LMBO). And the last from being so close to Sgt Amores, when he got hit.

I'm a little embarrassed and feel a bit guilty to be posting, but something you said in the email Dave told me it was the right thing to do.  We had a lot of double amputee's during our tour, my injuries stand pale in comparision to what they gave. 

All the best to our vets, it was honor to serve with you.  And thanks GTA for the awesome attitude you have towards our warriors.

Semper Fi,
Derek G

drewciferpike:

--- Quote from: Humble308 on February 21, 2013, 02:11:59 PM ---I received shrapnel in the back after a 40mm 203 grenade sympathetically detonated when my Sgt crawled over an victim activated IED.  Along with 3 concussions. One from driving over an small IED (bout 10 lbs) when I was using the 7-Ton transport vehicle to knock down buildings. Another from us hitting a 40lber in another vehicle (that hurt! LMBO). And the last from being so close to Sgt Amores, when he got hit.

--- End quote ---

Being humble is one thing, and not being acknowledged for the sacrifices made in the name of others is a whole other thing. Though a kinda'-pacifist at heart, I will never--NEVER--look away from the sacrifices that men and women have made for me. That's the way I look at it: You did it for me. Saying, "Oh, he did it for our country," allows me to remove myself from the equation, and it's easier to assume an "out of sight, out of mind" attitude. If I think that you did something for me, I OWE YOU. Simple as that.

My ramble is for the purpose of stating that a lot of us non-mil types would also like to support vets, and it's good to be reminded that it wasn't a walk in the park for any of you. I try and find any way to help, even if it's just a handshake and a "thanks".

Coachkilla32:
I contacted a friend of mine and she also works with the Wounded Warrior program running a charity golf event here in Southern California. This was her reply to your current dilemma. I hope this helps offer some solutions for you.

So are you basically looking for one wounded warrior to donate an airgun to?  You might consider contacting Disabled Sports USA they are an organization that WWP works with, which organizes sports and activities (biking, hunting, fishing trips, etc.) for wounded veterans (Warfighter Sports.)  If you want to contact them, their info is:

Disabled Sports USA
451 Hungerford Drive, Suite 100, Rockville MD 20850
Tel: 301-217-0960

ezman604:
Thanks for the info Steve, that will go in the memory bank. Having been involved in our project since October, with the results I've gotten from "official" folks, I think I'll press onward for now with OUR way of handling it. :)
But it is good info and may come in handy on down the line.
And Derek, you have NOTHING to feel embarrased or guilty about my friend!!!! As a 20 year veteran, I find myself having those feelings in the presence of those that gave more than I. Thank you for your service, your sacrafices and for allowing us to call you a GTA family member!!!!

drewciferpike:

--- Quote from: ezman604 on February 21, 2013, 05:33:50 PM ---I think I'll press onward for now with OUR way of handling it. :)

--- End quote ---

You mean convince people to buy more and more air guns, until their wives hate any acronym beginning with the letter 'G'?

I can't wait to see how this all turns out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version