GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

Target Shooting Matches, Discussion & Events > Target Shooting Discussion Gate

Home electronic scoring

(1/2) > >>

Knothead:
Is anyone doing home electronic scoring.  I looked at the Orion home scanner system and wonder if at this point in my shooting if it’s beyond my needs.  I quit shooting state and nationals a while back, don’t see returning anytime soon and am jut this side of 60.
I would think shoot and post pics of target matches here should be enough to satisfy my shooting need.
I also looked at the TargetScore app, but really don’t understand what it offers what one can do scoring and entering in a book or spreadsheet.

Posted to entertain thoughts.

Thanks

Mark Hogan

Blue:
I've used the TargetScan app on an iPad, I paid for it years ago so I'm not sure how much it is now or what the options might be.  It works OK. You need a good backlight (a separate laptop screen or monitor will work) and need to be using one of their supported targets (there are A LOT, though not all "GTA official" targets).

I mostly use a .22/.177 Eagle Eye now, if you can find one I recommend using one of those, I'm not sure they're available anymore.  If you can't find another scoring device like a plug that works for you then give the software a try, I found it was quicker and easier to use an analog method.

Just my opinion.

Blue

ac12:
For personal home use, I would not bother with an electronic scoring, way too expensive.
You can buy a LOT of premium targets and pellets for the price of an electronic target scanner.
It would be faster than manual scoring, but other than that, I personally don't see the benefit.
Orion-home is $278 + $58 each year for license fee.
The TargetScan app is more reasonable for home use.

RickHem:
Can't offer much help with the electronic scoring stuff, but I am interested to hear about what is available and how it works. 

After having seen it mentioned on a few of the matches on this site, I looked up the Eagle Eye Scoring device, and eventually bought one from Ebay.  I like it.
For the most part, scoring only takes a couple of seconds for a pistol target, and after shooting for years in matches, I can go through the scoring on quality targets without much trouble.  But the rifle targets, and especially when using lesser quality targets present some difficulties occasionally.  That Eagle Eye device makes things much easier.  Plus, when scoring your own targets and posting them up, you want to be accurate.  I tend to score really close ones as out, and I suspect that is what most others here do as well.  The Eagle Eye resolves much better than my aging eyes alone.  If I still have a doubt after checking it with the Eagle Eye, I score it out. 

Xptical:
Something like OpenCV could do this.

https://github.com/hanneshoettinger/opencv-steel-darts

You need a small computer (RasPi) and a camera.  The computer "learns" what a hole is and how the scoring is laid out.

Same-hole shots would be an issue tho.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version