Beeman P17 and XSP 120D... Next level builds/mods.

Author Topic: Beeman P17 and XSP 120D... Next level builds/mods.  (Read 120607 times))

Offline stalwart

• Expert
  • Eric
    • http://www.stalwartarms.com/
Re: Beeman P17 and XSP 120D... Next level builds/mods.
« Reply #540 on: February 19, 2016, 03:39:53 PM »
When you are done shooting, leave the gun pressurized. This will hasten the ring's settling in. When it is broken in, you will see it has taken a different shape.

LUK how it goes.

Offline oneied

• Expert
  • In the land of the blind, the Oneied man is king!
« Reply #541 on: February 20, 2016, 11:32:55 AM »
I don't know how long it holds for I haven't timed it. But if I go back in under 10 minute the pressure has expelled
  • Brewster, NY
CP-1M .177
Diana 52 T01 .177 Sidewinder 30 4-16x50 SR Pro
AirForce Talon SS .22 Sidewinder 30 6-24x56 20x 1/2 mil dot
AirForce Edge TSI adaptive
B-21 MM tuned .22 UTG 4-12x44 SWAT
XS46U .22 MM gas rammed - 4x32 Xbow scope
Beeman Stage 1 P-17 - THANKS STALWART! Fixed
MRod .177 Panorama EV Map 6a 4-16x50
Baikal IZH-60 diopter sights

Offline stalwart

• Expert
  • Eric
« Reply #542 on: February 20, 2016, 04:30:06 PM »
Uh ohhh. Sounds like a damaged valve seat.

If you are bothered by the leak down, you can try polishing the seat with an ultrafine (gray) Scotchbrite pad.

Offline stalwart

• Expert
  • Eric
« Reply #543 on: March 01, 2016, 04:29:14 PM »
It should be noted that Stalwart Arms is not affiliated, nor has it been, in any way, with VRD LLC, VRD Arms, or Scott Villmow.

Offline StevenG

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #544 on: March 04, 2016, 11:45:50 AM »
Got the P25 yesterday and will soon post some pictures.

For anyone who wants to claim SSPs are recoilless, I have a gun you need to shoot.

My groups are more like patterns at this point, but rest assured that is all my fault. When I have my act together, best I can manage is a couple shots like that at a time, I get one ragged hole. I am sure it would do that all day if I could.

The S2 trigger is awesome. Some takeup, then a little wall and bang. Stalwart needs to figure out how to transplant these triggers into XS60s.
  • West Seneca, NY

Offline stalwart

• Expert
  • Eric
« Reply #545 on: March 06, 2016, 11:31:06 AM »
"Stalwart needs to figure out how to transplant these triggers into XS60s."

If that seemed only remotely possible... it would be my new life's mission.

Offline RHytonen

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #547 on: December 28, 2017, 12:02:21 PM »
Rod, where did you go?

Deep into my music....
then CTS reared its ugly head and off to PT twice a week, exercising every day until I die, but it WORKS! I actually managed to avoid surgery.
THEN I caught the "Telly" (Fender Telecaster, country style) bug, and I'm off trying to reach Albert Lee (Q.V, YouTube) as a skill level goal.
After all, I already have some 30-40 years of pro playing, on folk guitar and rock bass (as well as classical instruments.)
An online music store called "zZounds!" made the mistake of offering me credit, (musicians - check 'em out! No credit check..) and now I'm pretty well tooled up (amps, etc) after some guitar maintenance and upgrade projects. (There's a local band forming, around a distant relative of Buck Owens; who has just opened an 'Opry" type music theater here.)

I haven't forgotten the AG goals - just put them off a bit. The parts are somewhat buried  by house "cleaning" projects, and I'm sure my guns all need orings...but a work space wil be freed this winter, then back into the Windowsill Cannon we(?) go. (Unless I win that .300 Lapua sweepstakes, LOL)
I have another spine operation in the future too, but that's been staved off by some very effective PT....even though the MRI's look scary.

Let's talk after New Year's!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2017, 12:04:40 PM by RHytonen »
  • Pennsboro,WV
B.I.N.M.F. (Brevity is not my forte.)

(note to self:) "Never attribute to deviousness
what can be explained by stupidity."

Ignorance can be cured -
but Stupidity refuses to be educated by facts.
In fact, that's how you tell them apart.

Offline silent_airman

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #548 on: March 02, 2018, 05:29:57 PM »
Just revisiting this thread with a problem. I have the .22 Microgroove barrel, standard length, that you sent me and it's been sitting around. So I ordered a stock P17 from PA, thinking, hey, this will make a nice pair. My Stealth in 177 and the stock pistol in 22. So I got the pistol today, went to swap out the barrels, and noticed right off that the 22 barrel will not allow the pistol to fire, nor does the gun open up smoothly. It has to be nearly pried open. I put the 177 barrel back in, pistol functions as it should. I compared the two barrels and they look different. The muzzle end is longer from the shoulder that rests against the front of the gun to the crown. But it seems to fit the hole in the front and is flush against the front. I did notice the groove cut in the 22 barrel that the mounting plate rests in is a different length than the stock barrel's. I think the 22 barrel is a hair longer than the stock one, and it is pushed against the rear seal too much. This is probably why it cannot be opened for cocking and loading smoothly and is why the gun won't fire properly. I am thinking that maybe a little grinding and polishing with my Dremel tool might fix the issue. Worth a try I guess. 

My question is, will the rear seal fit the 22 barrel and provide the seal it needs, or does this need further modding?
  • Tucked in the foothills of western Maine.
RWS Model 34 T06 in .22 Sun Optics TAC IV 4-16x50
RWS Model 48 T06 in .22 UTG 3-12x44 SWAT Mil dot
Crosman Fire .177 Hawke Sport HD IR 4-12X50
QB-57 .22
QB-58 .22
QB-79 .177
Crosman SR 357
Browning Buckmark URX
Mrodair Air Max Target Master .22 "Master Blaster II"
Beeman P-17 stock
Beeman P-17 "Stealth"
Benjamin 342
Crosman 1077

Offline DevilsLuck

• Expert
  • N.U.A.H.-Sharp Shooter
Re: Beeman P17... Next level builds/mods.
« Reply #549 on: April 28, 2018, 07:16:09 AM »
I've been meaning to ask you... if you had another 17, what would you do to it?

Mine evolved over time according to my tastes, so it would probably be pretty much the same. 
It's a great rig... I can see why.

Guys, what do you think? It's together!
That is super cool!
  • Pell City, AL
Daisy 853 .177 cal.
HW77k Special Edition .22 cal.
Diana 48 B
Air Arms TX200 MK III .22 cal Walnut
Crosman Storm XT .177
Crosman P1377 .177
Crosman SNR .357 .177
Benjamin Trail NP Pistol .177 Dumpster fire!
Smith & Wesson M&P 45 - .177
Benjamin Titan GP .22
Remington Express Synthetic .22
Crosman F4 .177
Hatsan 135 QE Carnivore .30
Diana 350
DPMS Panther A4 Classic .177
Diana 34
Umarex Fusion ,177
Crosman Marksman 1010
Beeman P17 X 2
Benjamin 392- out of commission...
Diana Meisterschutz

Offline stalwart

• Expert
  • Eric
« Reply #550 on: April 30, 2018, 03:49:54 AM »
It lives!!

As you can all imagine, the 17s are still a staple here.

SA just became a Xisico dealer, and will be offering the 120Ds (as Special Editions) soon. I'll post it all here.

In the meantime, I'd like to thank all who see the potential here, and choose to exploit it. It's a pretty big club, and I'm proud to be part of it.

Offline stalwart

• Expert
  • Eric
« Reply #551 on: April 30, 2018, 04:55:48 AM »
Just revisiting this thread with a problem. I have the .22 Microgroove barrel, standard length, that you sent me and it's been sitting around. So I ordered a stock P17 from PA, thinking, hey, this will make a nice pair. My Stealth in 177 and the stock pistol in 22. So I got the pistol today, went to swap out the barrels, and noticed right off that the 22 barrel will not allow the pistol to fire, nor does the gun open up smoothly. It has to be nearly pried open. I put the 177 barrel back in, pistol functions as it should. I compared the two barrels and they look different. The muzzle end is longer from the shoulder that rests against the front of the gun to the crown. But it seems to fit the hole in the front and is flush against the front. I did notice the groove cut in the 22 barrel that the mounting plate rests in is a different length than the stock barrel's. I think the 22 barrel is a hair longer than the stock one, and it is pushed against the rear seal too much. This is probably why it cannot be opened for cocking and loading smoothly and is why the gun won't fire properly. I am thinking that maybe a little grinding and polishing with my Dremel tool might fix the issue. Worth a try I guess. 

My question is, will the rear seal fit the 22 barrel and provide the seal it needs, or does this need further modding?

Just saw this, was not notified of this post.

That barrel has a longer anchor point because it makes no difference to the mounting, and it's easier to set them up with the ergonomic loading by cutting it fully to the end.

It's clear the new pistol has tighter tolerances in that area, between the nose and the breech, and those few thousandths will cause a binding on the carefully cut breech clearance.

You are correct. Relieving that clearance, by a couple thousandths, will set the breech up to give you a more consistent seal. Go slow, but don't worry... if you go too far, you can shim that just like the factory does.

BTW... take the excess off the plastic block the front of the barrel fits into. Don't touch the barrel! Power tools won't be needed. a slight relief of the nose can be had with sandpaper.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2018, 05:46:36 AM by stalwart »

GTA - What's been your success with air gun target practice?