Chinese air rifles and Gas spring conversions

Author Topic: Chinese air rifles and Gas spring conversions  (Read 91821 times))

Offline 56S

• Expert
  • yes
Re: Chinese air rifles and Gas spring conversions
« Reply #140 on: December 26, 2013, 05:27:39 PM »
Not so good news to report.  10 shots, the lowest being 721 and the highest 755.  For the extra effort required to get such a small increase in energy just isn't worth it to me.  Back to the spring when I get a new spring guide from Mike.
  • Ohio West Lafayette

Offline OleTomCat

• Tree Rats Beware.
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
    • GTA Web Map
« Reply #141 on: December 26, 2013, 05:32:54 PM »
Not so good news to report.  10 shots, the lowest being 721 and the highest 755.  For the extra effort required to get such a small increase in energy just isn't worth it to me.  Back to the spring when I get a new spring guide from Mike.

That is typical of what I see with Gas rams, they shoot smoother but at a only a minor gain to slight loss in power.
  • Summerville, SC
Home Of Air Guns Inc.
Air Gun Tuning and Targets

Air Guns:
Sheridan Blue Streak, aka The Blue Demon Rebuilt Steroid Style By Mac1.
FWB-124 with ARH Old School Kit.
Gamo Silent Cat, tuned by Me, smooth as butter.
Gamo CFR
SamYang Dragon Claw .50
Hatsan BT65: Big Nasty
FD PCP: PNG
Benjamin Maximus: Needs Work
Crosman Custom Shop 2300: Just fun

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=962067

Offline 56S

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #142 on: December 26, 2013, 06:29:39 PM »

That is typical of what I see with Gas rams, they shoot smoother but at a only a minor gain to slight loss in power.
And a large ( in my case ) increase in effort.  I might just try changing it to piston forward to see how it acts.  Regardless, a new spring guide is ordered from Flying  Dragon to convert it back to spring.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2013, 06:31:27 PM by 56S »
  • Ohio West Lafayette

Offline rsterne

• Member 2000+fps Club
  • Bob and Lloyd
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • GTA Forums Person of the Year 2017
    • Mozey-On-Inn
« Reply #143 on: December 26, 2013, 09:12:56 PM »
I would estimate the cocking effort of my gun roughly doubled during the first part of the stroke, but was only a bit more when almost fully cocked....

Bob
  • Coalmont, BC, Canada
Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
Airsonal:
1750 CO2 Carbine, .177 Uber-Pumper, .22 Uber-Carbine, .25 Discovery, 2260 PCP 8-shot Carbine, 2260 HPA (37 FPE), 2560 HPA (52 FPE), .22 QB79 HPA, Disco Doubles in .22, .25 & .30 cal, "Hayabusa" Custom PCP Project (Mk.I is .22 & .25 cal regulated; Mk.II is .224, .257, 7mm, .308 & .357; Mk.III is .410 shotgun and .458 cal), .257 "Monocoque" Bench PCP, 6mm Regulated PCP and .257 Unregulated, Two BRods.

Offline Scotchmo

• Expert
« Reply #144 on: December 26, 2013, 10:50:37 PM »

And a large ( in my case ) increase in effort.  I might just try changing it to piston forward to see how it acts.  Regardless, a new spring guide is ordered from Flying  Dragon to convert it back to spring.
If you are running it with the shaft forward, you will probably need a couple of ounces of extra piston weight. Or you could try some lighter weight pellets. Even with the body forward, extra weight is often needed when you are trying to maximize the FPE.

Since the power of a piston gun is limited by it's swept volume, you are not likely to get a significant power increase by simply changing the spring. If it was undersprung to begin with - maybe.

The gas spring is best used to improve the firing cycle of a rifle. Also, a quality gas spring can far outlast a typical wire spring. But they have their own issues. I did a lot of work with gas spring guns in 2012. I am experimenting with wire spring piston guns right now in order to learn more about them.
  • Los Osos, California

Offline 56S

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #145 on: December 31, 2013, 01:15:37 PM »
New spring guide came in record time and the 46U is back to a much more docile & accurate spring  shooter.  The springer is shooting at a consistant 715-720 FPS at 24 deg with the CPHP 14.3gr.

For some tastes the gas ram may be the way to go.  I'm getting too old and joints ache easily so the spring works best for me.
  • Ohio West Lafayette

Offline JimLC

• Shooter
  • Can't keep these things outta my bird feeders!
« Reply #146 on: February 16, 2014, 03:45:54 AM »
I'd like to convert my old B-3 to gas. Good info here, but it may be over my head till I learn more. Thats part of the fun!
  • Oklahoma
1976 Sheridan Blue Streak
Mid 80's B3 .177
Ruger Air Hawk .177
(Wants: QB-6 / Tech Force 6)

Offline OleTomCat

• Tree Rats Beware.
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
    • GTA Web Map
« Reply #147 on: February 16, 2014, 08:00:10 PM »
I'd like to convert my old B-3 to gas. Good info here, but it may be over my head till I learn more. Thats part of the fun!

Let me know when you are ready I can walk you through it.
  • Summerville, SC
Home Of Air Guns Inc.
Air Gun Tuning and Targets

Air Guns:
Sheridan Blue Streak, aka The Blue Demon Rebuilt Steroid Style By Mac1.
FWB-124 with ARH Old School Kit.
Gamo Silent Cat, tuned by Me, smooth as butter.
Gamo CFR
SamYang Dragon Claw .50
Hatsan BT65: Big Nasty
FD PCP: PNG
Benjamin Maximus: Needs Work
Crosman Custom Shop 2300: Just fun

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=962067

Timtiminy

« Reply #148 on: August 03, 2014, 08:26:24 PM »
I tried searching for any Stoeger X20 conversions. I just ordered a X20S and thought it would be cool to convert it to a gas spring. I did see that Stoeger has the ATAC which is basically the X20S with a different stock and  a Gas Spring. I was thinking that I could just use the ATAC parts on the X20S but Stoeger only has the X20S part schematic/ exploded view up on their website. Until the ATAC parts schematic is available I wont be able to see if the parts are interchangeable. What do you all think? is there a better option already out there?

Offline BowerR64

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #149 on: December 08, 2015, 02:56:52 AM »
Did all this stall out?

Ide like to convert a B3 also but i just want to keep it about the same FPS not really turn it into a magnum just make it smoother cocking and more consistant.
  • Kansas city, Mo.

Offline hookedonpcp

• Shooter
« Reply #150 on: July 11, 2016, 02:16:15 PM »
Thanks for all of the info guys
  • Columbus, Ohio
.22 Edgun Matador
.357 Evanix Rainstorm 3D Bullpup with day/night vision .22 SPA PP700 airmax pistol

Offline jjpeters4

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #151 on: December 01, 2016, 07:18:56 PM »
Is there a more powerful ram that can be installed into an npxl?
  • lancaster, ohio

GTA - The best place for discussion about Air Guns.