Umarex strike point

Author Topic: Umarex strike point  (Read 2561 times))

Offline oldnamvet

• Sharp Shooter
  • In God we trust, everyone else we monitor
Umarex strike point
« on: September 18, 2017, 05:19:20 PM »
I see this is back in stock.  Anyone have one?  Worth the $40?
http://www.centerfireguns.com/umarex-usa-strike-point-177-2251350.html
  • Midland, Michigan

Offline Rob M

• GTA Senior Contributor
Re: Umarex strike point
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2017, 12:29:42 AM »
wow, they changed the name .. those are really cool. basically looks like a hopped up 1377
  • Louisiana

Offline oldnamvet

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 05:30:55 PM »
Guess no one has one or wants to admit it so I had to order one to find out what it was like for myself.
  • Midland, Michigan

Offline Rob M

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2017, 08:46:59 PM »
I haven't seen a single review on 3 forums , so I look forward to your review
  • Louisiana

Online anti-squirrel

• Grumbling Grumspter AKA
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Confirmed SPAddict
« Reply #4 on: September 23, 2017, 09:49:24 AM »
I want one, but other priorities came up and it fell by the wayside. 

Although not really related, I'd like to see a SPA pistol-pumper.  No so much because it would be from SPA but then we'd have more options.  I dunno about anybody else, but I thoroughly enjoy pumper pistols.  Two companies offering them is nice.  Getting a 3rd would be even better.
Richmond VA

Owner of a SPA pistol and rifle
Some Crosman Lego
A Hatsan Vortek squirrel-killer
A CZ springer
> OHNOES I NEED ANOTHER <
and some slingshots for when the pellets get low

Offline oldnamvet

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #5 on: September 23, 2017, 01:18:55 PM »
I just wish the old Sheridan pumper pistol was still available.  When they were, years ago, I could not spare the money.  Now that I am old and have a few extra $$ to spend, not to be found.
  • Midland, Michigan

Offline B-Roc

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #6 on: September 23, 2017, 03:04:27 PM »
wow, they changed the name .. those are really cool. basically looks like a hopped up 1377

Agreed.

@oldnamvet, please post back with a review after receiving.  Looks like healthy competition for the 1377. Be interested in how easily it pumps and whether fingers are in danger as well as how decent the sites are.  That could be a fun basement gun for me this winter.
  • Merrimack Valley, MA

Offline oldnamvet

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #7 on: September 23, 2017, 03:13:05 PM »

Agreed.

@oldnamvet, please post back with a review after receiving.  Looks like healthy competition for the 1377. Be interested in how easily it pumps and whether fingers are in danger as well as how decent the sites are.  That could be a fun basement gun for me this winter.

Will do. I want to compare it to my 1377 for accuracy and power.
  • Midland, Michigan

Offline oldnamvet

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 10:36:59 PM »
Well it arrived today in a blister pack that nearly required power tools to open.  Hate those things.  The foot print is about the same as a 1377.  Big difference is that there is no metal showing.  None.
The bolt has to be cocked for it to hold air, much like the Daisy rifles.  Oh yeah, the bolt is plastic composite.  The receiver is also plastic but lined with a little aluminum trough where you put the pellet. I assume that the barrel is steel.  Pumping was easy enough although a little harder than with the 1377.  You would really have to work at it to pinch yourself with the pump.  It seemed very solid with no side-to-side slop.  It is advertised as having fiber optic sights.  The front sight, which is enclosed in a hood, seems more like a piece of red plastic than fiber optic.  It is no where near what I expected or what I am used to on my P17. It seemed like there was no light coming through it at all.  The rear sight is just a metal notch with no fiber optic on the sides.  It is also so narrow that you can't line up the front sight so that you see light around the sides of the sight.  I'd have to take a file to the rear sight and enlarge it quite a bit before my tired old eyes could use it.  The trigger is miserable.  At least 6 lbs pull to get it to release after a lot of take up and creep.  The strange forward angle also felt strange.  1377 trigger is much nicer.  Power with 10 pumps is about the same as the 1377 when measured by shooting into a pine board.  I tried measuring the relative noise with an app on my phone.  They both came out the same at 80 decibels.  Probably not a terribly accurate measurement but a good relative indication.  Due to the sights I was not able to attempt any accuracy testing but when I shot at 10 feet, with the sights as they came, I was 3 inches left and 2 inches low.  Looking at the adjustments on the rear sight, I doubt that I could move the sight enough to correct.  All in all, this is no competition for the 1377.  It could perhaps be made useable by someone who is a tinkerer (and I am not) good with small tools.  Don't waste your money on it.  If you really want one, contact me.  I have one I would part with really cheap.  My curiosity about it has been satisfied.
  • Midland, Michigan

Offline Rob M

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2017, 10:52:19 PM »
wow , this is really interesting.. I expected it to be an improvement over the 1377,  like Umarex stealing the design and running with it .. Whats the asking price shipped to 71303??  ;D
  • Louisiana

Offline oldnamvet

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2017, 01:37:03 PM »
For $20 I'd hunt up a box and ship it to you.  I guarantee that you would not be impressed with it. :(
  • Midland, Michigan

Offline Rob M

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #11 on: September 28, 2017, 02:38:23 PM »
I sent a PM , yea , I just read the trigger is 5.5 lbs lol.. Whatever , ill make some use of it .. maybe a crosman 14 inch barrel will fit
  • Louisiana

Online anti-squirrel

• Grumbling Grumspter AKA
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Confirmed SPAddict
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2017, 11:23:28 PM »
Kinda crummy it ain't any better.

I'll stick with my 1377.
Richmond VA

Owner of a SPA pistol and rifle
Some Crosman Lego
A Hatsan Vortek squirrel-killer
A CZ springer
> OHNOES I NEED ANOTHER <
and some slingshots for when the pellets get low

Offline TleVta

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2017, 11:47:12 PM »
Thank you Tom for taking one for the Team. I was looking at this when it was announced. You have satisfied my curiosity as well.
  • Ventura, CA
"Only accurate rifles are interesting".
--Colonel Townsend Whelen---
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Townsend_Whelen

Offline dan_house

• Marksman
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2017, 01:21:50 PM »
Just ordered mine.....

plastic is fine with me,,,, if its not just accountant-mandated cost cutting ...

If nothing else I'll pimp it out and give it to the grand kids......
Thomas L .177
CCA Tuned Diana54
The Lunatic Fringe of American Airgunning
Southwest Montana's Headquarters for Airgunning Supremacy

Proud sponsor of Team_subsonic

Member of the Western Heretic Alliance

Offline dan_house

• Marksman
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 03:54:59 PM »
Wellllllllll.... mine arrived yesterday.....

as noted the blister pack is designed to survived a nuclear blast, and had to cut it open, then open it enough to get the pistol out...

Not gonna mince words in this mini review... its a 1377 in a "blade runner" outfit. ITs ugly, in a tacticool kinda way, ergos are OK, they fix some of the issues with the 13xx, but introduce a few of its own. 4th pump and on to 10 (not pumped it any further) gets stouter every stroke. It is quiet. It is nose heavy, loading it requires a certain technique (first complaint)

OOB it doesn't have the new 1377 grittiness or slop, the pump action is tight in the tube, and the only "slop" is the pump handle on the pump arm...just wobbles a bit.

one thing I didnt measure (and yes dangit should have) is the pump tube OD vs. the OD of a 13xx pump tube. IIRC the SP is slightly larger than the 13xx pump toob OD.

nothing done to it, got 506 avg with 10 pumps using CP 7.9s. did manage a 1/2 inch group rested at 5 yards. (ok, yea maybe not great, but thats GOOD for me :) ) and had I not already pumped it a 130 times getting chrony numbers, Id have posted a couple more groups. It does get easier to aim as you get more familiar with it, get used to the trigger (which isn't bad OOB) and I will shrinkk them more as i get more time with it.

You can take the clamshells off (one top "Slide", two side pieces) without fear of the innards exploding in a spring driven cloud of tiny parts.  Plenty of place you can add weight, can add reinforcingment, or bolster contact points internally with the shells.

IF your comfortable inside a 13xx Crosman, you'll be right at home here inside the SP.....

My other real complaint is the front FiberOptic sight. Its hooded AND the sight rod itself is only exposed on the ends, meaning not alot of light gets to it to illuminate it. should be an easy fix (holes in the sleeve and mod the hood)

Mine took 5 days from TX (where it was shipped from ) to my door in Bozeman MT.....arrived a day early....

ITs a"Blow open" valve. Not sure Im fully understand that, but I assume its gonna make the trigger work differently than the 13xx.... and that cracking open the trigger mech in the grip may allow the aforementioned cloud of parts. Big towel spread on the table when you open that is a good idea........ Haven't got into the innards yet, was too late when I got to that point.....

Barrel arrangement is siimlar to the Crosman offering, and the same OD as the Crosman barrels...... so a slightly longer barrel could be installed, but you'l lose the internal noise reduction device.... but LDCs are readily available for the Crosman barrels...... the SP barrel sits in a sleeve/thimble that the breach goes over, and that "gizmo" also helps support it. No idea yet how the air charge gets from the valve to the TP and pellet.

And lastly, there is NO WAY to mount any other optics...... at least from the factory straight out of the package. But if you had a length of picatinny rail, and willing to mod the top plastic piece you can correct that issue...... should note the rear sight housing is square, and if you hold the pistol "overhand " to pump it, the corners of that housing will poke yer hand. Had that issue too of the pumping hand banging into the trigger guard. Some rounding off is in order....

To answer the big question "Is it worth the money"? Depends on your perspective...... IF you DO NOT want to mess with modding it, then maybe not. If you want to build it up past what its stock performance is, then maybe....... IT will need valve work, air path work and some trigger tweaking. Dont get me wrong, its a good gun out of the box. but it could be better with not much work....

I'll be working on a tear down guide next couple days as I can......

« Last Edit: October 10, 2017, 04:11:48 PM by dan_house »
Thomas L .177
CCA Tuned Diana54

Offline GD Giles

• Cheap Shot
  • Expert
    • Cheap Shot
« Reply #16 on: December 09, 2017, 09:18:11 PM »
Well, maybe I wish I'd read these thoughts before I got mine, but I got one. Cyber Monday sale at PA made it $40. I got a 22 cal. I find pumping it with my right hand off the back of the grip and more on top of the grip much more comfortable especially when pumping 100's of times to get chrony numbers. I still had a bruise on my left wrist from hitting the sharp end of the trigger guard.

It's a loud gun to operate because the 'clap' of the pump for each pump is as equally as loud as shooting the gun. So it's like 11 gun shots for every shot, if you're pumping to 10. I've never owned a multi pump before so I have nothing to compare it to that way. I've yet to get target time but here's some chrony numbers:

JSB Jumbo Heavy 18.13gr - Lo 383, Hi 400, Av 391 FPE 6.16
JSB 15.89gr - Lo 419, Hi  429, Av 424 FPE 6.34
Predator Metalmag 17gr - Lo 401, Hi 412, Av 405 FPE 6.22

I'm not gun tech savvy at all but if I could get more power out of it and make the trigger nicer, I think I would try. If I trash it, well, that's $40 I won't see again, but then again it was $40 new. 90 day warranty I think.
  • Columbus, GA
Hatsan Mod 95 Vortex .22 w/UTG 4-16x40AO
Hatsan Gladius .25 Long w/UTG 3-12x44 AO/IR/SWAT
Umarex Strike Point .22

He played like he was in jail, behind a few bars and couldn't find the key.

Offline dan_house

• Marksman
« Reply #17 on: December 11, 2017, 06:18:03 PM »
easiest way to get more power is to reduce the ~.10 headspace to as little as you can...... 1377 trigger mods will work on it (although you may have to do some mental transliteration of the slight differences), and the age-old trick of some felt on the pump tube to stop the clacking.....

other than that there aint much you cna do without a full blown machine shop effort. and  IMNSHO it aint worth that effort. But the gun does have some value in that its cheap to learn some MSP modding tricks with....
Thomas L .177
CCA Tuned Diana54

Offline GD Giles

• Cheap Shot
  • Expert
    • Cheap Shot
« Reply #18 on: December 11, 2017, 07:18:17 PM »
"reduce the ~.10 headspace to as little as you can" what does that mean?  ???  :D
  • Columbus, GA
Hatsan Mod 95 Vortex .22 w/UTG 4-16x40AO
Hatsan Gladius .25 Long w/UTG 3-12x44 AO/IR/SWAT
Umarex Strike Point .22

He played like he was in jail, behind a few bars and couldn't find the key.

Offline dan_house

• Marksman
« Reply #19 on: December 12, 2017, 01:27:32 PM »
"reduce the ~.10 headspace to as little as you can" what does that mean?  ???  :D

head space is the "gap" between the front of the piston, and the face of the valve. AT least in airgunning terms..... so the bigger that gap, the less air that gets put into the valve. reducing that space, means the air that would have just stayed in the pump tube between the piston and valve, now gets pushed into the valve. makes the pumper setup more efficient.
Thomas L .177
CCA Tuned Diana54

GTA - The best place for discussion about Air Guns.