My Silver Kodiak is a whole new beast

Author Topic: My Silver Kodiak is a whole new beast  (Read 5358 times))

Offline SagaciousKJB

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
Re: My Silver Kodiak is a whole new beast
« Reply #20 on: July 01, 2017, 06:30:27 PM »

Oh also Dave, you were right about that travel-adjustment being one dangerous little guy.  I've been trying to take it up just to the point where it would bump fire and then back it off.  I was testing last night, cocked it, and didn't even get the barrel closed before "BANG!" and I had to clean my drawers.

So I have it backed off pretty good now, making sure it won't bump fire with a hefty whack on the butt stock with a rubber mallet. It's not nearly as short a pull, but I feel better about the safety of it.

Kind of disappointed I've already went through 2 dry-fires since this tune-up :/  That's gotta be bad for the seal...

Glad you got away from the bump firing!  Any way you can do that with a pellet in the chamber? Maybe a good pellet trap fairly near the muzzle, with the rifle on bags, whacking the shoulder area with a mallet?

BTW: remember on this model, if you pull the trigger part way, even if you CAN push it back and reset the safety, the sear position doesn't change, and bump fire risk goes up... once you start to pull the trigger either go all the way on target, or finish shooting the round into the dirt or other non-ricochet/shot damage direction.

Yeah I'm not sure if I bumped the trigger or not actually.  I was loading a pellet into it, and had a plywood trap setup for the bump fires.  Otherwise I was firing into the same rubber mallet--catches the pellets quite well.  Anyway, I would hold on to the barrel and wrist of the rifle, cock, wedge the stock between my couch arm and my leg, hold on to the barrel, load the pellet, grab the wrist, and then pinch and angle the muzzle at the plywood board and swing the stock through to close the barrel while keeping the muzzle pointed at the plywood.  For whatever reason, right before I locked the breech up, it fired and the jet of air was so hard it knocked the breech seal off the barrel, and hit my fingers with a jet of air so hard I'd thought the pellet just barely missed them.  Turns out it hadn't even closed or fired the pellet.

Highlights the dangers of working on these sears pretty well, glad I was paying attention to how I was holding the rifle, but jeez it was still surprising. I'm not sure if I bumped the trigger with the safety on, or if it the over-lap between the two sears was just two small.  I usually finger-test it with a flat-head screw-driver first.  I set the adjustment until I can see the overlap of the two sears is small, then I use a small flat-head to push the main sear down on top of it, and just kind of pry on it with my fingers.  A lot of the times even with a sear engagement of 1/32" or more, you can still push the sear down enough to disengage. 

I think this is due to the nature of the sear geometry itself, because there's a kind of "slope" at the very rear of it. I believe that slope is actually what gives it the pseudo 2-stage feel.  Because when you pull the trigger, the portion of the bottom sear that begins to slope is pressing against the flat of the top main sear, so as it travels it pushes up on it just the slightest as those two surfaces which were once parallel become angled. It feels a bit like the main sear is traveling over a "hump", by nature of it moving in a concentric path, even though it's really just a dropping slope.  So once it feels as if the trigger as traveled over this "hump" during the trigger break, that's when the edge of the top sear is on the downward slope.

The only real safe way to take up the travel safely would be to re-profile the sear and make this downward slope shorter. That's a pretty ambitious endeavor in my opinion.  I'm pretty good with tool-making and metalworking with my hands, and fine stuff like this, but I don't think I'd be comfortable doing that after you pointed out they only case harden these.
Remington Vantage NP .177 (JM molly paste, JM Seal, GRT-III trigger blade and polished sears, polished and buttoned piston, brass pivot washer mod, CPHP 4-16x40AO)

Beeman RS2 Silver Kodiak X2 .177/.22(JM molly paste and tar, polished sears, trigger over-travel stop, custom scope stop, polished and buttoned piston, included 4x32 scope)

Offline Dave99

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #21 on: July 01, 2017, 10:51:26 PM »
After reading your comment about the ramp on the sear, I looked at my pictures again, including the hi-res originals (still with the markings.)  I saw what MIGHT be an upslope on the intermediate sear, aiming up at the end.  More prominent in my eye, though, is the detail on how these are stamped.  The stamping/cutting deformation rounds BOTH sear pars right near this critical spot.  Any lateral play in these levers will allow them to engage more, or less, securely, even with the trigger screw setting in my photos.

I was interested to note that the intermediate sear has a DEFINITE downslope toward the front of the rifle starting behind that last engagement point.  With longer trigger travel this WOULD give the illusion of two stages, assuming the front part ramps the other way.

While looking at the pictures I realized that, for this rifle, it's important to check bump fire from the butt of the stock AND from the top.  The intermediate has enough mass hanging toward the rear that a whack over the breech needs to be protected against.  Dropping the rifle so it lands on the scope would be one way to cause this kind of bump fire.   The snap of the barrel against the locking ball would be another.  I suspect the second is what happened to you.

Glad you did not get hurt! 

Boy, I wish Beeman had left that other trigger model on these things!!!!!
  • Richmond, VA

Offline SagaciousKJB

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #22 on: July 02, 2017, 05:42:25 AM »
After reading your comment about the ramp on the sear, I looked at my pictures again, including the hi-res originals (still with the markings.)  I saw what MIGHT be an upslope on the intermediate sear, aiming up at the end.  More prominent in my eye, though, is the detail on how these are stamped.  The stamping/cutting deformation rounds BOTH sear pars right near this critical spot.  Any lateral play in these levers will allow them to engage more, or less, securely, even with the trigger screw setting in my photos.

I was interested to note that the intermediate sear has a DEFINITE downslope toward the front of the rifle starting behind that last engagement point.  With longer trigger travel this WOULD give the illusion of two stages, assuming the front part ramps the other way.

While looking at the pictures I realized that, for this rifle, it's important to check bump fire from the butt of the stock AND from the top.  The intermediate has enough mass hanging toward the rear that a whack over the breech needs to be protected against.  Dropping the rifle so it lands on the scope would be one way to cause this kind of bump fire.   The snap of the barrel against the locking ball would be another.  I suspect the second is what happened to you.

Glad you did not get hurt! 

Boy, I wish Beeman had left that other trigger model on these things!!!!!

Yeah it's kind of interesting how close it is to the trigger group in my Vantage, which I guess is a B19/Gamo 440 clone that has never really been renowned for having a great trigger.  So that makes you wonder why they copied a bad trigger... At least the Vantage has a nicer feeling blade.

I finally bit the bullet (ha pun) and bought the Straight Shooter's .22 caliber pellet sampler. That was a hard $50 to spend, especially if it just turns out I not so good at shooting any kind of pellet.  I wanna try to find something to use .22 before the .177 though.

Kodiak, just trying to get a zero, with the CenterPoint 4-16x40 AO turned down to 4x and using Crosman Premier 10.5gn:

It WANTS to group, but at the moment the best I can seem to muster with these pellets is minute-of-tincan at 25 yards, and even then the odd flyer goes so wide as to miss even that.

My Vantage seems to like the CPHP and the CPUM pretty well, so I think I'm just going to save them for that and then wait on the .22 sampler to get here to break out the Kodiak again.  I just wanted to get a feel for the trigger today, and I'm pretty happy with it.  Feels nicer than the Vantage's, and it's a night and day difference between stock. I can actually hold my breath and get through the trigger break without dying of asphyxiation now.

Still, I'm kind of disappointed...  I got this Vantage out of the pawnshop and put a lot of work into it and bought it the expensive ( for me ) scope thinking I could make it a tack-driver, yet I'd consistently make more shots with the Kodiak time after time.  SO then I swap out the nicer scope onto the Kodiak, and the "cheapo" scope onto the Vantage, and now I'm shooting better with the Vantage! I suppose I could blame the scope, but I figure I better try some new pellets before I go down THAT rabbit hole.

I just have a hunch once I find it the pellet that it likes, it will start to shine. Crossing my fingers it will find something it likes in .22 because the vantage is already such a nice .177 gun.
Remington Vantage NP .177 (JM molly paste, JM Seal, GRT-III trigger blade and polished sears, polished and buttoned piston, brass pivot washer mod, CPHP 4-16x40AO)

Beeman RS2 Silver Kodiak X2 .177/.22(JM molly paste and tar, polished sears, trigger over-travel stop, custom scope stop, polished and buttoned piston, included 4x32 scope)

Offline birdmove

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2017, 02:51:59 PM »
   Be patient. Kenny Kormandy at his my airgun reviews on Youtube, reviewed the Crosman Crusher. It was a pretty ho hum grouper. Then he found the magic pellet and shot his best recorded group ever with that Crusher.
  • Keaau, Hawaii
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

Crosmans: 1077, F4, Phantom, 1377, 1322, Model 66, (Remington/Crosman) Airmaster 77, Custom Shop 2400KT, 2240, C11, CO2 revolver,

Offline SagaciousKJB

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #24 on: July 02, 2017, 05:59:30 PM »
   Be patient. Kenny Kormandy at his my airgun reviews on Youtube, reviewed the Crosman Crusher. It was a pretty ho hum grouper. Then he found the magic pellet and shot his best recorded group ever with that Crusher.

That's what I'm hoping for!  Unfortunately it looks like it's gonna be a while longer, I screwed up typing my address for Straight Shooters.

Also I ran into ANOTHER problem...  Not sure how much of a headache this will be, but one of my stock-screws ( right side of the rifle by the barrel forks ) has the hex-socket stripped out. :/  So next time I take it down I'm gonna have to figure out how to get it out of there under as much torque as I put in it, and then also to replace it.  Yay gorilla arms!

Looks like this place has me covered...

http://www.@#$%^.com/Stock-Screw-Kit-for-Beeman-Sportsman-Series-p/beemanstockscrews.htm

Alternatively, I'm just going to take the left one out, go down to Tacoma screw, size and match it and also pick up a screw-extractor kit.  I have one of those little EZ-out screw extractors, but it has literally never worked, and for screws torqued out far less.
« Last Edit: July 02, 2017, 06:23:18 PM by SagaciousKJB »

Offline birdmove

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #25 on: July 02, 2017, 07:03:26 PM »
  Do you live near Seattle/Tacoma?
  • Keaau, Hawaii
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

Crosmans: 1077, F4, Phantom, 1377, 1322, Model 66, (Remington/Crosman) Airmaster 77, Custom Shop 2400KT, 2240, C11, CO2 revolver,

Offline SagaciousKJB

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2017, 11:44:52 PM »
  Do you live near Seattle/Tacoma?

Not very close, it's just kind of a regional thing since I'm in the PNW

Offline SagaciousKJB

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #27 on: July 03, 2017, 05:51:47 AM »
I'm going to have to put this little project on a slight hiatus, ran out of playing funds for the month. My SS pellet sampler is going to come in, and I won't have money for zero'ing fodder or patches to clean the barrel, so I think I will be putting this on hiatus for a few weeks.  Besides I think I need to open it up and check things out on the inside, I was doing some "chronograph" testing today and noticed something grinding during the cocking-cycle.  Uh-oh

The chronograph results were not bad, though I'm using an app for my android that uses sound to measure, so I'm not sure how accurate it really is. I've heard people say it's within 10% of their actual chronograph figures as long as it's setup right.  You have to know the distance between the muzzle and your target, the distance of the device to the muzzle, and the distance of the device from the path of the pellet...  There's also a "de-bounce" effect that you can play with because some guns make extra noise after they fire and this will lead to some "hot" rounds left in the result as it is picking up the sound between muzzle blast and piston-slap.

Anyway, it's shooting pretty close to advertised with the CPHP at 7.9 gn, but I don't like how low those numbers are with the 10.5 gn. I want to be pulling 700 FPS with 14.3 gn in .22, so to see it that close only at 10.5 gn is a little disappointing.  Again, though, not sure how accurate this app is, and of course it could change pretty with the barrel size since that makes pressure difference.  I'm not really sure the drop in velocity from 908 fps to 711 fps is inline with an increase in projectile weight from 7.9 to 10.5 gn, and the heavies feel tighter in the barrel to me than the CPHP.

Offline Hoosier Daddy

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • My safe runneth over
« Reply #28 on: July 03, 2017, 06:08:18 AM »
Just a thought...
 I find usually the cheap-o allen wrench they send with items is more the culprit than the actual screw stripping.
I bet if you pick up a new quality metric allen wrench set, even if the screw has rounded corners, it will engage the screw better and you will be able to get it out.
 Extractors (easy-outs) usually fail on hardened socket head cap screws. If the screw head really is FUBAR you may be able to find a "standard" size wrench that is a tad larger than the metric one and tap in with a hammer enough to get the old screw out.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 06:11:44 AM by Hoosier Daddy »
Pistols
Crosman: PC77, 1740
Benjiman H9A

Rifles
Air Arms: S400-SL Carbine FAC
Beeman: RS2 Silver Kodiak,
Benjamin: 312, 342, 392P, 392PA, Maximus
Crosman: Genesis NP .22, Quest 1000X, Raven, 2nd & 3rd var 160's
Feinwerkbau: FWB 300S
Gamo: Recon
SAG: AR2078-B, QB58
Sheridan: C Blue Streak, C9 Blue Streak, Model F Co2
Xisico: XS60C .22, Sentry 702-3 .22

Proud Member of F.U.G.L.Y.

Offline PaulT58

• Guns? What guns?
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Ain't no wrong way to do the right thing!
« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2017, 09:17:42 AM »
Here are the numbers I got when I tested mine for comparison.  These are the average of 5 shot strings:

.22:
H&N Sniper Magnum   18.00gr     622.66
Crosman Hollow Pt   14.30gr     707.20
JSB  Exact Jumbo   18.30gr     624.86
Gamo TS-22           22.00gr     560.36

.177:
H&N Field Target   8.64gr     908.96
JSB Exact RS             7.33gr     931.88
H&N Sniper Med           8.50gr     927.60
Benj Hollow Point   7.90gr     962.86

I also did the trigger mod where you remove the loop spring from the little teeter thingy,  It did make a pretty significant difference! 

• Navarre, FL
AIRGUNS:
Benjamin Mrod, Prod & Synrod .22 & .25
Benjamin Trail NP2 .22
Evanix Air Speed .22
Gamo Whisper Fusion .177
Hatsan Torpedo 100X .25
Hatsan BullBoss .22
Hatsan AT44S-10 .177
Nova-Vista Liberty .177
Sam Yang Sumatra 2500 .25
SPA PR900W (Varmint) .22
Umarex Gauntlet .22

FOR SALE:
AirMax Plinkster .22 w/1/2-20 UNF LDC Adapter Single Shot Tray and 2 Magazines - $75 + Shipping

Offline birdmove

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #30 on: July 03, 2017, 01:47:10 PM »
    Thought I'd mention that Beeman has a new model. It's a dual caliber air rifle with a wood stock, gas piston, and in the silver finish like your Beeman's are. Here it is:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01FEE43EK/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Notice there are zero reviews so far. I would not mind picking up one of these. The silver finish, hopefully, is more rust resistant than blue finishes. Here, rust is a constant enemy.
  • Keaau, Hawaii
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

Offline PaulT58

• Guns? What guns?
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Ain't no wrong way to do the right thing!
« Reply #31 on: July 03, 2017, 02:17:34 PM »
I almost bought that one because I couldn't find the Silver Kodiak with the black synthetic stock for less than $150.  Then I found one at Wally World for $99!  That is an excellent price for that with a wood stock!  Essentially the same rifle, just in wood.

I was wanting the black/silver scheme and if I had gotten the wood stock version thought about refinishing the stock to a really dark, blackish grey color that would probably look awesome with the silver!
  • Navarre, FL
AIRGUNS:
Benjamin Mrod, Prod & Synrod .22 & .25
Benjamin Trail NP2 .22
Evanix Air Speed .22
Gamo Whisper Fusion .177
Hatsan Torpedo 100X .25
Hatsan BullBoss .22
Hatsan AT44S-10 .177
Nova-Vista Liberty .177
Sam Yang Sumatra 2500 .25
SPA PR900W (Varmint) .22
Umarex Gauntlet .22

FOR SALE:
AirMax Plinkster .22 w/1/2-20 UNF LDC Adapter Single Shot Tray and 2 Magazines - $75 + Shipping

Offline SagaciousKJB

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #32 on: July 03, 2017, 03:34:50 PM »
I almost bought that one because I couldn't find the Silver Kodiak with the black synthetic stock for less than $150.  Then I found one at Wally World for $99!  That is an excellent price for that with a wood stock!  Essentially the same rifle, just in wood.

I was wanting the black/silver scheme and if I had gotten the wood stock version thought about refinishing the stock to a really dark, blackish grey color that would probably look awesome with the silver!

It looks like that one has a gas ram instead of a spring!

Paul,

My numbers are pretty close to that in .177, but in .22 I'm only getting 711 out of a 10 grain pellet.  I think since it works based on sound that maybe it just couldn't pickup the 10.5 grain as well as the 7.9 grain.  I was really just wanting some figures to jot into ChairGun and to see if it was doing okay and I think it's pretty close.

Hoosier Daddy,

Yeah unfortunately I tried it with one of my good bits...  Well, I don't know how "good" it is, but it was part of a Black and Decker bit set, so seemed a little harder than the average. I was also thinking about a slightly over-sized one as well.

The steel on it seemed kinda of soft to me, but the bit might have just been harder.  It's got enough metal in there now that the right sized torx bit might be able to grab on too.

I'm not TOO worried about getting it out, I know that worse things come to worse I can either...

1. Cut a slot in it with a cut off wheel ( would involve cutting the stock some )
2. Tap the cap with some left-handed threads and turn it out with a new screw ( takes specialized tools that might cost a bit )

Number 1 would be quick, dirty and cheap but I wouldn't even need to buy a new screw! Just don't want to have to cut the slot into the stock that would need to happen as well since the screw is so far below the surface.  Might be a little tricky cutting.

birdmove,

You should check out something called eezox.  A lot of gun owners in rusty environments love it.
« Last Edit: July 03, 2017, 03:36:46 PM by SagaciousKJB »

Offline SagaciousKJB

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #33 on: July 03, 2017, 04:28:19 PM »
Well, the GrabIt got it!  First time this thing has ever worked.  I think the trick is to forego the drill once you start trying to grab at it with the tap-side.  I'm probably going to cut a slot into it with a dremel so I an use a flat-head with it until I get it replaced.  I don't know that I'm going to buy that $10 screw kit though versus just going down to a hardware store and matching it. They don't seem like real special lengths or anything.

Offline Hoosier Daddy

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • My safe runneth over
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2017, 04:56:06 PM »
Good job!
A decent Hardware store should have it.  Button head in a metric sockect head cap screw.
Pistols
Crosman: PC77, 1740
Benjiman H9A

Rifles
Air Arms: S400-SL Carbine FAC
Beeman: RS2 Silver Kodiak,
Benjamin: 312, 342, 392P, 392PA, Maximus
Crosman: Genesis NP .22, Quest 1000X, Raven, 2nd & 3rd var 160's
Feinwerkbau: FWB 300S
Gamo: Recon
SAG: AR2078-B, QB58
Sheridan: C Blue Streak, C9 Blue Streak, Model F Co2
Xisico: XS60C .22, Sentry 702-3 .22

Proud Member of F.U.G.L.Y.

Offline birdmove

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2017, 05:24:45 PM »
  Yes, that new Beeman I showed with the Amazon website is a gas powered break barrel. They are starting to make that switch over.
  • Keaau, Hawaii
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

Offline SagaciousKJB

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2017, 05:34:49 PM »
  Yes, that new Beeman I showed with the Amazon website is a gas powered break barrel. They are starting to make that switch over.

Having a very limited experience, I have to say that I prefer gas pistons so far. There's something about the shot cycle of the Vantage that just feels much nicer, and they seem to supply a bit more power.  Not to mention I didn't really "enjoy" tarring the main spring, could do without that experience again.  I think people usually advocate for springs because they're easier to replace when they break though.

Speaking of springs, how do you tell when one is worn out?  Mine was still pretty straight, so I just put it back in and kept using it, but I wonder if there's some fatigue going on that's keeping it form being as powerful as a new spring could be?

I also notice the pre-load on mine wasn't anywhere near as far out of the cylinder as it was for Jeff's rebuild.  The back of the washer on the spring guide was actually just inside of the cylinder for me, whereas in his rebuild pics, you can see it sticking out an inch or so.  I guess I should have measure my spring to make sure it was as long as it should have been, maybe it's been "compacted"?

Offline SagaciousKJB

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #37 on: July 13, 2017, 12:50:26 PM »
Had a good day shooting yesterday. I got a tin of 175 Crosman Premier pointed 14.3 grain .22s to sight in with before I started trying pellets from the Straight Shooter's sampler.  At the end of the day, I found that the Air Arms and JSB varieties did well, but also discovered that it likes the Crosman Premier pointed ones pretty well too.

I know most people would scoff at these groups, but keep in mind I don't shoot supported on a bench or sticks so I think it's pretty good.  All groups are at 24 yards...  Why 24? Well, because I was 3 feet short of being able to do 25.  I think the Air Arms pellets performed the best, but from group-to-group I think I need to get onto a bench to really measure out accuracy differences between all these.

Pretty sad that all the Beeman and H&N pellets did so poorly, I was really wanting to use the Barracuda Hunter Extreme.  However, I don't think that the standard pellets are lacking stopping power, because wouldn't you know it one of the cotton-tails that is eating from my garden popped out.  I took it with a heart/lung shot at 20 yards with the Crosman Premier pointed, and could not find any trace of an exit wound.

I'm not really sure how much I should trust these chronograph results from Chronoconnect... They say that it can be accurate within "10%", and I've compared my numbers to other results I've seen here and they're about 8% slower...  I guess they seem reasonably close, but going by Chairgun, the drop at 50 yards doesn't seem as bad as it says.  Seems to only be 2-3 inches of drop versus the 5-6 Chairgun claims, but if I try to jot different velocities in to match that POI, I get velocities that seem way out of range.

First I measured with the 14.3 gn Pointed Premiers

Second were the 11.6 gn GTO lead free JSB, which I expected to be going much faster weighing so much less

JSB Heavy

JSB Express ( ignore the Exact 13 gn measure and ft lbs)

Barracudas

Air Arms 16 gn

Air Arms 18 gn (accidentally left it as JSB Heavy)

The Straight Shooter's pack labelled in order of the ones I tried...

This was the best group of the day...  Hard to tell, but there were 3 shots in the middle there.

Here is a set of groups going from the lighest JSB to heaviest ( in the center ) and the two Air Arms, lightest to heaviest. 

So yeah, I'm pretty much narrowed down to these pellets that will group "reasonably" well...

JSB Express
JSB Exact
JSB Exact Heavy
Air Arms Field Diablo 16 gn
Air Arms Field Diablo 18 gn
Crosman Premier Pointed
« Last Edit: July 13, 2017, 12:56:12 PM by SagaciousKJB »

Offline SagaciousKJB

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #38 on: July 15, 2017, 12:47:23 AM »
I shot some more groups today, and I think I am just not good st shooting groups. I need a bench or some shooting sticks, otherwise I can't really tell the difference between a jerked trigger and a flyer. So I decided to shoot 10-11 shot groups to get a better idea of how these are grouping.

From top to bottom

Crosman Premier Pointed 14.3
AA Field and JSB Exact 15.9
AA Field Heavy and JSB Exact Heavy 18.14

But beyond my lousy group shooting, I am nailing bottle caps at all set ranges. Very happy with the accuracy now, I am pretty sure the shooter is the limiting factor now.

I am also extremely pleased with how well the Crosman Premier Pointed shoot. Pretty surprising given how lousy the domes and hollow points shot. In the meantime the 18 grain JSB seem to group pretty tight too, barring a few odd flyers. Too bad their poi is down/right from the cheap Crosman fodder. I have a feeling that I could have got the 16 grain tighter.

The trigger is much better now but I do still have some problem getting it to break before I run out of breath.

Offline Dave99

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #39 on: July 15, 2017, 09:24:40 AM »
It looks to me like your best results are from the pellets that have the highest energy shown in your chrony-like device. 

One of my pet theories is that a dome behave better than a pointed pellet because it destabilizes more slowly.  If the point is not exact dead center as the bullet spins out of the barrel, air will help it wobble more the farther it goes.  Just a theory.

the second photo leads me to believe you might like results from the RWS Superdomes.  The weight is very similar, and the domes are quite friendly.

And the photos DO suggest that there is something going on with your hold and/or trigger pull.  I suspect long travel before break added to long travel AFTER break is pulling things off.  I am almost inspired to try the after-break travel screw on my Beeman now :)

I think your idea of some sort of bench testing is good, especially if the challenge is trigger technique.  My Beeman does not mind having the forestock resting on a fluffy, slippler fleece or (even better) wool pad.  It HATES sitting on anything that restricts its movement. 
  • Richmond, VA

How do you word it... "Air Guns" or "AirGuns"?