GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Machine Shop Talk & AG Parts Machining

Annealing Delrin Guides

(1/3) > >>

Artie:
Today I ran across a BBS airgunning thread and one of the contributors recommended boiling delrin guides in water for 5 minutes prior to installation. He said he never had a broken guide after adopting the method.
This notion led me to some research on plastics and apparently Delrin does aneal at 320° F. My question is: has anyone else heard of this or ever experimented with it?
Incidentally, I've not broken an installed delrin guide but I have broken one shaving the shoulder in a lathe.

nced:

--- Quote from: Artie on February 14, 2019, 07:53:01 PM ---Today I ran across a BBS airgunning thread and one of the contributors recommended boiling delrin guides in water for 5 minutes prior to installation. He said he never had a broken guide after adopting the method.
This notion led me to some research on plastics and apparently Delrin does aneal at 320° F. My question is: has anyone else heard of this or ever experimented with it?
Incidentally, I've not broken an installed delrin guide but I have broken one shaving the shoulder in a lathe.

--- End quote ---
LOL.....I've never had a Delrin guide break either.
Hummmm.......how does water at 212 degrees F anneal Delrin IF the annealing temp is 320 degrees F unless the water is pressurized?

Artie:
Excellent question Ed, my guess is it would require a pressure cooker.  That or the Brits got some special water in them pipes.

Motorhead:
Never had the need ... wear & tear already minimal & never broken one either ???

Artie:
I had a gun I'd turned a guide for. The setup had no spacers except for a thin thrust washer and an over-thick shoulder on the rear guide. It turned out the setup was coil bound (wouldn't latch). My choice was remove the thrust washer, cut a coil, or thin the rear guide shoulder by re-facing it.  I chose the latter.
The guide had very thin walls due to tight tolerances between the spring and latching rod. Tightening the chuck enough to prevent the delrin from slipping would've crushed the thin walls so I wrapped the guide with carpet tape to prevent slippage. It worked perfectly, didn't slip a bit when the shoulder snapped clean off.
Got's to be more careful next time, sneak up on it a few thou at a time I reckon..

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version