GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Machine Shop Talk & AG Parts Machining

Crosman Nitro Piston question

(1/1)

454 Big Block Chevy:
Do you still need a spring compressor to pull a Nitro Piston out?  also, does anyone have a walkthrough of deburring and what oil to put where?  used to be on old site and i didn't back it up like i should have... silly me...

btw this is for my Titan GP nitro piston. 

airiscool:
Yes, the air venturi and later Nitro gas rams have quite a bit of preload on them just like a coil spring.

The only exception that I'm aware of a gas ram gun not needing a spring compresser are the Trail XL1100 and XL1500. The have a screw cap on the rear of the reciever that has more threaded length than the gas ram's preload travel. With those two guns, about 4-5 turns of the cap and all the preload is off the ram.

Deburring is easy.
Wash all the parts to get the oil, grease, dirt, mouse hair, whatever off. Using a dremal, or fine emory cloth, or small mill file (my prefered tool for deburring), go over every edge and smooth the edges until you can't feel any burrs (the raised, sharp edges formed by stamping sheet metal). Wash all parts again VERY carefully to remove any grit and metal particals.

I use autoparts store dielectric silicone grease on the compression tube and seal, moly on the piston walls and each end of the gas ram. Others just use moly for all.

Coat the surfaces and then lightly wipe them down to remove excess. You don't want any more lube than to just add a shine to the surface. A little goes a long way !!!!  Anymore than that and it will just diesel until it burns off the excess.

Paul.

454 Big Block Chevy:
Mouse hair?

uncle paulie:
Probably found under the flea dander ;)

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version