GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Wild Game Preparation and Recipes Gate

Squirrel Sauce Picante (French = Squirrel Hot Sauce)

<< < (3/3)

Hoosier Daddy:
I have been letting the Fox Squirrel population rebuild this season so I am looking forward to trying this with chicken... maybe even dome leftover Holiday Turkey. ;)

Xraycer:

--- Quote from: Hoosier Daddy on December 11, 2022, 10:19:07 AM ---I have been letting the Fox Squirrel population rebuild this season so I am looking forward to trying this with chicken... maybe even dome leftover Holiday Turkey. ;)

--- End quote ---
If you want any meat left, from those FS, don't use that new Texan of your's  ;)

Bicycleman:

--- Quote from: Hoosier Daddy on December 11, 2022, 10:19:07 AM ---I have been letting the Fox Squirrel population rebuild this season so I am looking forward to trying this with chicken... maybe even dome leftover Holiday Turkey. ;)

--- End quote ---
Scott, I have never tried Turkey Sauce Picante.  But I think it would work well with the leftovers.  It would certainly cut back on the cooking time needed.  Let me know how it come out.
(This season, I have taken four Fox Squirrels from the 85 acres that I hunt.  Since the last one, I have also decided to let their population rebuild.)

Good luck with the Turkey Sauce Picante.

Blowpipe Sam:
I’ve got seven young tender ones in the freezer Mike.  I think I’ll try your recipe with a couple of them.  How long total do you slow cook them?

Thinking about trying out the new Cajun seasoning I got at Buckees!

Bicycleman:
Good afternoon, Cap.
The cooking time depends on the squirrels.  The more mature the squirrels, the longer they have to cook before becoming tender.  What I usually do, after the squirrels have been cooking for a while, is poke at the hind leg thigh with a spoon.  If the meat is tender enough to eat, the spoon may actually cut into the meat with very slight pressure.  Of course, it the spoon bounces or does not dent the leg meat, let it cook another half hour before trying this test again.  Wash, rinse, repeat!
That little white squirrel you harvested recently would probably cook in about 30 minutes.  But a big, old female, who had a litter this fall, might need four hours or more to become tender enough for the meat to start separating from the bones.
Good luck and post your results here.
[That Cajun seasoning may work well.]

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version