GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Wild Game Preparation and Recipes Gate

Squirrel Pan Fried or Grilled?

(1/2) > >>

JimH:
It seems most of the recipes for squirrel are stews or soups.  Are there recipes that call for pan fry or grilling on the bone?  If I'm camping and get me some dinner I will be limited to my cast iron skillet or campfire.  Being a noob and wanting to enjoy my own harvest, I'll need some field options - cause my wife won't let me bring them into the house.... yet.  She doesn't mind me cleaning fish in the kitchen sink, but anything with fur might freak her out.  heh heh....

Jonesin:
My grandfather used to dip in milk, then flour, then throw it in a cast iron skillet and fry with Crisco served with mashed potatoes, rolls  and gravy (gravy made with drippings). I have not eaten it that way in years but I look forward to it again. The squirrel was quartered before frying.

longislandhunter:
I fry my squirrels all the time, it's my favorite way to prepare them.  My cooking skills are basic at best so as a result my methods of cooking them are just as simple. 

All I do is quarter the squirrels, give them a thorough rinsing in cold water, dry them with a paper towel, give them a good coating of seasonings on both sides (I use garlic powder, onion powder, salt, pepper and a hefty coating of cajun spice) then I fry them in oil until they are golden brown on each side.  No better meal on the planet :)

Some people par boil the quartered pieces first and then fry, but I don't bother with that step.  I've also used the same frying method and coated the pieces with bread crumbs or flour and they come out excellent.   I like to mix some bacon fat with the frying oil, I think it imparts a nice flavor to the meat, but if you're concerned about the fat issue then you can leave out the bacon fat. 

Jeff

Jonesin:
I tried the same thing (par boil) with rabbit and found it a bit tough after frying. I may have boiled it too long. IF I am gonna par broil I prefer to throw it on the grill for a few minutes on each side with my favorite barbecue sauce brushed on. Good thoughts on the bacon fat. I will have to try that.

Progun:
Hey Jim, I too prefer them fried especially the young tender ones. Cast iron skillet will work fine but you really need a lid to get it right. I like to batter the cut up pieces in seasoned flour and fry on low to medium heat covered. Turn once.Once you've taken the squirrel out of the skillet, drain most of the oil off and sprinkel a couple spoons of flour in the skillet and turn up the heat to brown the roux, add a cup of water and stir. Pour the gravy over the biscuits that you had baking in the oven to go with your squirrels. Wash it down with a glass of cold milk. To keep the kitchen master happy, dress the squirrels outside and only bring them inside already cut up in a bowl.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version