GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Wild Game Preparation and Recipes Gate

Caution!!

<< < (7/7)

Freezypellets:

--- Quote from: Bicycleman on August 14, 2022, 11:10:17 AM ---In my culture, rice (more precisely, sticky rice) is part of most wildlife dishes.
As a result, I have been preparing/cooking the rice in my house for about 50 years.  My Judy does cook rice too - but in one of those electric rice-cookers things. :o
Lately, when we were going to have rice, she had started putting the ingredients together before I got a chance.  Well, the last time she did this, and I started cooking the rice, I thought it looked unusual.  When it boiled over for the second time 20 minutes into the cooking process, I knew something was not right.  That pot of rice gave 'STICKY' a whole new meaning.
The rest of the story:  Several days later my Judy confessed said she realized that she had put twice the amount of water.  At that time, I suggested that maybe we should go back to the way it was before she started messing in my cooking.  <--- That went over well.  The doctors say I should recover fully by the time Squirrel Season opens.
Okay, the part "went over well.  The doctors say . . . . " is a joke.  My Judy was actually telling me what she had done in an apologetic tone.  All is forgiven and she assured me that she will leave the rice cooking the old fashioned way entirely to me.

--- End quote ---
;D
I'd like to hear your recipe for rice. That's one thing I don't cook myself. I let my wife take care of it.

Bicycleman:
1 part Medium grain rice
2 parts water [room temperature]
Salt the rice and water mixture to taste.
When you put the rice and water in a saucepan/rice pot, it should fill no more than half the pot.
Place pot on high heat until the contents come to a rolling boil.  Turn heat down to the lowest level and allow the contents to settle down [should take about two to three minutes].
Cover pot and cook on the lowest heat for 30 minutes.
This recipe should yield sticky rice.  Long grain and Extra Long grain will probably yield a flakier end product.
Enjoy!

Side note:  I spent a couple weeks at Fort Sill for Army Reserves training.  I visited Mt. Scott and saw the Bison herd.

Freezypellets:

--- Quote from: Bicycleman on September 11, 2022, 07:49:33 PM ---1 part Medium grain rice
2 parts water [room temperature]
Salt the rice and water mixture to taste.
When you put the rice and water in a saucepan/rice pot, it should fill no more than half the pot.
Place pot on high heat until the contents come to a rolling boil.  Turn heat down to the lowest level and allow the contents to settle down [should take about two to three minutes].
Cover pot and cook on the lowest heat for 30 minutes.
This recipe should yield sticky rice.  Long grain and Extra Long grain will probably yield a flakier end product.
Enjoy!

Side note:  I spent a couple weeks at Fort Sill for Army Reserves training.  I visited Mt. Scott and saw the Bison herd.

--- End quote ---
That sounds really good. My wife says that's how she does it but she uses long grain which is less sticky.
When I moved here it took me over a year to get around to going to mount Scott because I grew up on hills bigger than that but when I did go the view impressed me.

Bicycleman:
Yesterday, while shopping at KROGER, we bought more rice.  I jokingly said that we would buy a 50# sack of KONRIKO the next time we were in Louisiana.  She quickly amended the statement to "a 10# bag" (which is about what we have room to store here.)
In Louisiana, we stored excess grain products in our large chest-type freezer.  We don't have one of those here.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version