GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Hunting Gate

Cocked springer for hunting

<< < (2/2)

nced:

--- Quote from: thumbs on August 14, 2022, 09:38:25 AM ---Actually never did much hunting with my springers but thought I would get back onto it.  The question is leaving the rifle cocked.  I know it's not a good idea to keep a springer cocked but for how long?  In a hunting situation how long can you safely keep a springer cocked?  With the distances we are talking about while hunting cocking a undercover of break barrel very well may scare the critters away.  I don't want to hurt the rifles but thought I would ask how you guys handle this?

thanks

--- End quote ---
When living in West Virginia years ago my brother and I would simply cock our .177 R9s when we got to the "squirrel woods" and hunt "normal style". We never had any issues with our springers hunting this way because if we didn't get a shot at least every hour it was a VERY slow day so the spring never was cocked for extended lengths of time.

As a side note, springs and piston seals are considered "consumables" like tires on a car and will need replacing on occasion if there is regular shooting. For that reason I buy good quality aftermarket spring like the ARH offerings because I found that they lasted considerably longer than factory HW springs. Still, a $20 aftermarket spring or piston seal replacement every couple years really isn't a big deal considering the savings for shooting airgun pellets rather than powder burner ammo........

lefteyeshot:

--- Quote from: Back_Roads on August 14, 2022, 09:51:16 AM --- No problem at all :)

--- End quote ---

+1

thumbs:
Hey thanks.  Never replaced a spring or seal in an air gun so to me it's a big deal till I know how to do it.  I dont need to replace them yet but it wouldn't surprise me if the seal is reasonably close to needing it.  The velocity is still where it should be and it shoots consistently and accurately.  I just don't want to  degrade anything unnecessary. 

Sure would like to get back to you when the time comes so I can get the right hardware and lubes.

nced:

--- Quote from: thumbs on August 15, 2022, 01:27:23 AM ---Hey thanks.  Never replaced a spring or seal in an air gun so to me it's a big deal till I know how to do it.  I dont need to replace them yet but it wouldn't surprise me if the seal is reasonably close to needing it.  The velocity is still where it should be and it shoots consistently and accurately.  I just don't want to  degrade anything unnecessary. 

Sure would like to get back to you when the time comes so I can get the right hardware and lubes.

--- End quote ---

If the gun shoots consistently and accurately don't mess with it till it needs "help".

lefteyeshot:

--- Quote from: nced on August 15, 2022, 01:45:36 AM ---
--- Quote from: thumbs on August 15, 2022, 01:27:23 AM ---Hey thanks.  Never replaced a spring or seal in an air gun so to me it's a big deal till I know how to do it.  I dont need to replace them yet but it wouldn't surprise me if the seal is reasonably close to needing it.  The velocity is still where it should be and it shoots consistently and accurately.  I just don't want to  degrade anything unnecessary. 

--- End quote ---

If the gun shoots consistently and accurately don't mess with it till it needs "help".

--- End quote ---

I'm very much into learning to shoot what I got as is before tearing into something. Holes touching is not one holing but it's not bad.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version