GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Optics, Range estimation & related subjects

Hatsan "Picatinny" / Dovetail Rail --- NOT a Picatinny

(1/1)

LongRangeSupply:
One reason I chose the Hatsan Factor RC was that the specifications in the description on the Hatsan USA website, stated the following:

"To round out the Factor RC’s features....and a combination optic system that will accept Picatinny, Weaver, and 11mm dovetail mounts."

It most certainly is NOT even close to a Picatinny rail. If you ignore the dovetail cuts and go off the top of the rail, the slots are way too shallow to accept virtually every set of true Picatinny rings that I own. Even the tiny cross screw on the Burris Signature Zee rings won't fit through the slot. My two favorite adjustable rings are the Burris Signature Zee and the XTR Signatures. I don't like to use risers between the rail and the rings if I can help it, otherwise I probably would have added a sloped picatinny riser.

I couldn't get a zero with non adjustable rings, running out of windage travel with the scope I wanted to mount on the gun. So, rather than voiding the warranty on the gun and cutting the grooves in the rail deeper where I wanted to place my rings, I simply removed about half of the recoil lug on a set of 30mm 1" tall XTR Signature rings until there was a few thousandths clearance between the bottom of the lug and the bottom of the rail slot. Much cleaner install than using a riser, virtually stress free without needing to lap the rings and almost 40 MOA of adjustment in any direction. I am very pleased with the fit and the look. I will post photos later of the installed scope and the cut made on the recoil lug. These rings are now dedicated to airguns and lower recoiling guns as I don't think there is enough meat on that lug to hold with a 338 Lapua or a 50 BMG.

Cableaddict:
Yep,  Hatsan is just plain lying on this one.  They are Weaver rails.

I couldn't initially mount an MTC SWAT scope on my Flashpup, because the rail slots aren't WIDE enough to accept the little bar on the bottom of the scope-mount that locks into the rail.  Luckily, I was able to remove this and use a non-barred piece from the shorter mount MTC provides. Otherwise I would have been SOOL.

LongRangeSupply:
I see the term Picatinny used incorrectly quite a bit when it comes to airguns by both the airgun makers and the users, so it isn't just Hatsan.

The modified Burris XTR Signature rings are working very well. I am hesitant to remove them for photos as the gun is dialed in perfectly, but will post some photos down the road if I ever remove the scope that is on there now. Moving the scope is fairly likely as I am always swapping glass around, that being one of the reasons I really like actual picatinny rails. I can take an optic from any gun and move it to any other gun in seconds. It does look like Reximex, one of Hatsan's competitors in Turkey puts a much more robust looking, true picatinny rail on some of their guns such as the Throne Gen2.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version