GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Machine Shop Talk & AG Parts Machining

1" Slitting Saw Arbor

(1/2) > >>

KWK:
I have a few cheap slitting saw arbors and they're terrible. So I made this one. Works great. All surfaces are lathe turned with hand ground HSS. No polishing. Notice the shank is cross drilled. That hole was already in the salvaged metal I used. Useful low profile. Thank you

customcutter:
Nicely done!  Glad I read it the second time, I was wondering what the purpose of the cross drilled hole was.  Waste not, want not. 

Any suggestions on getting good finishes on 4140?  I tried making some 7/8" dies several years ago.  Horrible finish!  I've since read that it doesn't machine well. ???

KWK:
Sorry, I've never worked with it.

OTmachine:

--- Quote from: customcutter on June 27, 2022, 02:11:12 PM ---

Any suggestions on getting good finishes on 4140?  I tried making some 7/8" dies several years ago.  Horrible finish!  I've since read that it doesn't machine well. ???

--- End quote ---
KC-810, KC-850 inserts used to work pretty good.  I do not know what the equivalent would be today.  Sulfurized lard oil for cutting fluid helps and factory heat-treat, (RC 28 hardness).

OTmachine:
@KWK,
Nice looking arbor!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version