GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Machine Shop Talk & AG Parts Machining

BSA Barleycorn

(1/2) > >>

KWK:
I have several "Lincoln Jeffries H the Lincoln","BSA Air Rifles", "Improved Models", and "Improved Model B's". Almost every one has the "doll head" snapped off of the foresite. I was able to solder a brass bead onto a few of them but some need new sights made. Broken off too short or missing. I decided to make 2 Barleycorn type which were an option in 1905-8 when these models were made. The Improved Model D's got a different sight that's actually a little easier (but still a lot of machining operations) to make.
So first I cut a piece of cold rolled steel to dimension for a blank on the metal shaper. Then cut in half because I'm making two sights. First picture is milling the sight blades on my Enco 6x26 vertical miller. Then on to the shaper to cut dovetails. The tool slide is offset 12.5 degrees. Last picture you can see the 1/16" drill bit shanks I used to measure the dovetail width. More to come as I progress. Thanks for looking!

KWK:

--- Quote from: KWK on May 22, 2022, 03:53:36 PM ---I have several "Lincoln Jeffries H the Lincoln","BSA Air Rifles", "Improved Models", and "Improved Model B's". Almost every one has the "doll head" snapped off of the foresite. I was able to solder a brass bead onto a few of them but some need new sights made. Broken off too short or missing. I decided to make 2 Barleycorn type which were an option in 1905-8 when these models were made. The Improved Model D's got a different sight that's actually a little easier (but still a lot of machining operations) to make.
So first I cut a piece of cold rolled steel to dimension for a blank on the metal shaper. Then cut in half because I'm making two sights. First picture is milling the sight blades on my Enco 6x26 vertical miller. Then on to the shaper to cut dovetails. The tool slide is offset 12.5 degrees. Notice I have the clapper locked in place for this setup (only metal shaper operators will understand that!) Last picture you can see the 1/16" drill bit shanks I used to measure the dovetail width. More to come as I progress. Thanks for looking!
[/quote

--- End quote ---

KWK:
I finished the Barleycorn sights. Finally got around to posting. I still need pictures of the sight mounted in the dovetail. I had to hand fit the dovetail with a file. Then cold blued. I'll get those pictures soon. Thank you for looking

KWK:
Dovetail fitted. 1906 "BSA Air Rifle"

sb327:
Very nice job! Most do not understand the time involved in setting up and machining an otherwise ‘simple’ part.

Thanks for sharing.

Dave

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version