GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Tuners

Canadian Stoeger X10 Tune Question

(1/7) > >>

Aakkiirraa:
Hello all,

This will be my first post, outside of my introduction, so bare with me on this.

I have a Canadian detuned Stoeger X10 rated at 495 fps I dusted off and started shooting again. I’d like to bring the rifle to it’s full power potential and was wondering if anyone has any experience as to how the X10 was specifically detuned for the Canadian market? I have went through older posts and haven’t found anything specific to the X10, or I ‘man scanned’ and missed it. I know there are a number of ways it can be done from springs to a hole in the piston. Stock this rifle has the potential for upwards of 1200 fps (obviously pellet pending and not what I expect to hit) and I’d like to realize some of that power.
Now before I am jumped on about legalities, I have my PAL which allows me to own an air rifle with this fps rating so it is all legal. Figured I should throw that disclaimer in :)
I’m in the midsts of building a spring compressor to take down the rifle but am just looking for some guidance as to any experience on this model and if it’ll be a simple ‘fix the piston’ or if I’ll need some parts.
I have sourced some parts via Crosman that seem to be B19 compatible, if my research is at all accurate but if I don’t have to spend any cash, all the better.
I appreciate any guidance that can be provided. I appreciate your time and advice.

Yogi:
First thing you need to do is take the rifle's action out of the stock.
From there you will need to dive into the guts of the gun and see what is what.  Could be weak spring, could be small transfer port, could be broken spring, could be bad breech or piston seal.
If you have a spring compressor, use it.

-Y

Aakkiirraa:

--- Quote from: Yogi on May 20, 2022, 05:33:35 PM ---First thing you need to do is take the rifle's action out of the stock.
From there you will need to dive into the guts of the gun and see what is what.  Could be weak spring, could be small transfer port, could be broken spring, could be bad breech or piston seal.
If you have a spring compressor, use it.

-Y

--- End quote ---

So, I tore my X10 down, no issues, except that at first glance I’m not sure where the limiting factor is. The spring seems beefy enough but being a rookie at this, what do I know. The seal has no holes and is in good shape, the only thing that seems maybe odd is the piston seems quite long. The whole thing seal to the end of the piston shaft is 7”; is this considered a ‘long’ stroke? What are your thoughts; is it a piston upgrade needed to a short stroke or is it my spring and I just can’t judge that it is weak.

Reminder this rifle is detuned to 495, otherwise capable of 1200 fps. I have my PAL so it is lawful for me to make this upgrade in Canada. Appreciate your thoughts.

Yogi:
You have your terminology backwards.  You have a long pist and a short stroke.  There is only so much room in the compression chamber.  A long piston take up space that could be used for compressing air.
So yes, a shorter piston would offer more power.  Where to get a shorter piston, I do not know.  Think about contacting Stoeger?

-Y

PS if your piston stem is very long, maybe you could get a machinist to shorten it.  Post pictures of your piston.

Aakkiirraa:
Well, I have to thank you for correcting the terminology as it makes the whole thing make a lot more sense to me haha!

I did try to take a picture of it but seem to be having issues with the file size but I’ll keep trying. The stem does seem long being 2.25” in length from the piston skirt (right term?) to the end of the stem. I plan to take a closer look at things and see about cutting out a section and welding the stem together as I have the equipment. Not as ideal as a new piston or having it machined but should do the trick. I have some small 6013 rods that would make a nice weld in something so small. Then clean and grind and should look almost factory. The guessing work is how much does a guy cut out?

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version