GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Air Archery

Air Javelin Pro

<< < (2/10) > >>

Rat Sniper (AKA: PaulT58):
Comparing MSRP to MSRP at Umarex.com, the Javelin Pro is $319.99, the CO2 powered Air Javelin is $189.99, the HPA Adapter is $59.99 and the Air Venturi 13ci tank they recommend from PA is $79.99 so it end up at a grand total of $329.97!  This is without discounts, tax or shipping.  A more realistic figure, using the discount code APRSHOWER (15% off, no sales tax and free shipping) brought the grand total to $271.99 for the Air Javelin Pro, shipped. 

Using the currently available discounts at Umarex (APRSHOWER) and PA (RABBIT12), the CO2 Air Javelin and required accessories would cost $297.42 after adding tax and shipping for the PA portion ($212.48 for rifle and adapter + $84.98 for the 13ci Tank).   So for $25.43 less, you save yourself the work of dissassembling the rifle to install the adapter and tank, while getting a better looking arrow gun with a 4500 psi fill and 1500 psi regulator as opposed to the 3000 psi fill and 1100 psi regulator of the conversion kit.  The specs also say the conversion kit will increase velocity from 300 FPS to 320 FPS, where the Pro's specs say 370 FPS.  I'll know more once it arrives later this week.  That was a lot of brain work to show getting the Pro was pretty much a no-brainer!  ;D

Nvreloader:
A Yogi Bear correctional tool, a big far Rubber Blunt 3/4" dia
and apply to the seat of behind and Yogi will get the message real quick.

Works very well on cow critters that decided to use the camp trailer,
as a rubbing post......1 big OLD range Bull took 3 lessons before it sunk in....LOL

I was looking at critter gitter tips on Amazon and saw where they have some foam covered tips.  The problem with this thought process is the chain-link fence separating my backyard from the woods behind.  The Bears pretty much stay on their side of the fence, but trying to launch a foam tipped arrow through chain-link probably won't go well and neither will putting myself on the same side of the fence as the Bear and then launching a foam tipped arrow into their bumm!  I can't imagine either scenario ending well!   :o ;D

I got some time today to shoot JP (Javelin Pro, as coined by BB Pelletier) at 40 yards.  First off, I will say it's loud!  Much louder than any other air gun I own, and no way to really yone it down!  I was able to attach the FX Radar Chrony to it and here are the numbers, starting off with a 4000 psi fill down to just over 3000 psi:

Shot count: 12
Low: 295
Hi: 353
Avg: 341
Spread: 58
STD Dev: 15.0

That last shot was taken with the blunt critter gitter tip, which was 95 grains.  The regular tips on the Umarex arrows are 50 grain and the arrows weigh 120 grain.  So, the first 11 arrows were 170 grain total and the last was 215 grain and it fell short of the target aiming at the bottom left target on the bag.  The last 4 shots are shown below.  At an average spead of approximately 345 FPS (a bit shy of the advertised 370 FPS), I was not getting hte consistancy that those paid YouTubers seem to be getting!  Oh well, I guess reality varies a bit from the YouTube hype!

I did get a variety of different arrow tips to try, but based on the results of the last shot, I don't know how effective they will be since they range in weight from 95 to 125 grain.  The heavier tips may not have the umph needed to shoot at 40 yeards, which is the typical distance I'm shooting, eight on paper or on rats!

Construction is pretty much all plastic.  On a positive not, it is light at only 4.5 lbs.  Some of the immediately obvious cons are the trigger and the butt stock.  The trigger has an extremely long pull, which I don't mind that much, but the break at the end seems like it's a 30 lbs break!  My hand was getting tired after those 12 shots!  Granted, I am spoiled with the triggers on my other airguns, especially the AA, FX and Benjamin Craftsman series rifles, they break extremely crisp and light!  I have no idea if the trigger is the same as on the CO2 version of the Javelin or not.  I have search for disassembly videos but thus far there are none to be found.  Not knowing how it's pyt together internally, coupled by the 50 some odd screws it looks like you have to remove to get the two halves apart, I'm not ready to dive into that project!  But I would be nice if all it took was swapping out a couple spring with lighter one so you don't end up looking like Popeye after a couple shooting session!

The Butt Stock is disappointing becaise it does not have a high enough cheek weld and it doesn't appear as though it can be removed and swapped with another AR Style Butt Stock, which would have been really nice, since I have one with a cheek riser built in!

Oh yea, one other thing, and this is probably a carry over from the CO2 Javelin.  It have a fore grip release that allows the fore grip to slide away from the receiver portion of the rifle.  The problem is, it can't go anywhere!  It's molded to wrap pretty much all the way around the air cylinder, so it would have to be slid all the way off the tube.  The problem lies in the fact you have an air guage and a burst disc that prevent this from happening!  Ooops!  Some engineer didn't think that one through!  Now, if they had placed the gauge at the end of the air cylinder and used a fill probe it would have worked, but Umarex sure makes a big deal out of the gauge being on the side and it's filled with a regular male foster fitting.  Don't get me wrong, I like both features, but they should have redesigned the fore grip so it could be pulled forward and then down to remove it from the rifle.  Now, having said that, I really don't know if removing it serves any purpose or not, but the manual does show how to press the release button, but fails to mention why you'd need to do so...

Anyway, that's it for now, I will add to this as I work through it and get more familiar with it.  Here are some pics to enjoy!

Rob M:
looks awesome    ;D

as for the varying tip weights , thats easily solved once you know what the goal for the day is. Its too bad no one has documented the trigger internals..im sure its the same on the co2 version./

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version