GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > PCP/CO2/HPA Air Gun Gates "The Darkside"

Bad Crown?

(1/1)

wolverine:
1st a little history...
i found the barrel on my 2260 was too long when moving through the bush, so i shortened the muzzle end buy the length of the TKO.  i squared it off with a file and checked it with my Starrett mechanics square.  then i used a brass round head screw and a compound to get the crown.

with the warmer temps i brought it out the other day for the 1st time after shortening the barrel.  all the pellets i tried are spiraling.  i removed the TKO and inspected it, but didn't find any signs of clipping.  when i removed the TKO, i couldn't see the pellets in flight.

i know this crown isn't perfect, but is it bad enough to make the pellets spiral?

Back_Roads:
 Looks like the crown can be a little deeper, and there may be some burrs in the groves yet.

mikeyb:
I'm not seeing clean rifling in your images. I was able to clearly see and photograph the rifling on my recowns and think yours may still need more work(?) I have only had to do a couple recowns but both helped improve poor accuracy problems.

Link to my recrown post link here...
https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=165568.msg155849849#msg155849849

wolverine:
Yeah, your crown is way better than mine.  Thanks for the link, I'll give it a try.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version