GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Wild Game Preparation and Recipes Gate

Not much heart for Deer Liver...or heart

<< < (4/4)

avator:
I never was one for eating organs. It may just be something in my mind... who knows.
Never know what one might eat if one gets hungry enough.

BigBird:

--- Quote from: R.K. on November 15, 2021, 09:10:11 AM ---Deer heart is the first part of the deer we eat! Split down the middle, trim off the valves and blood vessels and arteries from the top of the heart along with the connective "strings". Wash with cold water and soak in water in the fridge for a day or two. Then just boil in salted water untill done. We slice it across the grain while still warm.Add a little salt and there you go.  It's good cold too.   We never save the liver from deer.  But if I'm not mistaken, deer have no gall bladder. The file photo from above was a pig liver.

--- End quote ---

Heart looked really good when I cut it up. Like I said I don't usually do that part and maybe get a little grossed out cause anatomy of a deer heart is not far off from ours.  However that is some of the deepest red most uniform meat I have ever seen.  Liver is deep color but different.  The heart obviously looks like it has the most iron content of the muscles.  All the meat is in paper and individually wrapped in the freezer.  Wife was not in the mood to cook it at that time. ;)  However we did cook up last years heart and liver and it was good.  I don't usually eat the heart or liver due to previously mentioned reasons.

I did not know about "no gall bladder".  In my situation that is great news but wonder if the deer know?? ;D

BigBird:

--- Quote from: avator on November 15, 2021, 12:41:03 PM ---I never was one for eating organs. It may just be something in my mind... who knows.
Never know what one might eat if one gets hungry enough.

--- End quote ---

I always take them out and give them to someone.
Growing up my family (mother and father) always took the heart and liver out of their deer when they got them.

Mom used her 1940's lever action 30 cal PB Marlin and made a lot of head shots with open sights.  I'm sure she came back with more intact livers than my dad who was more of a "pie plate shooter" (I learned to sight in my own gun fast).

My in-laws used to give my kids money for heart and liver so thats where my sons first priority was.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[*] Previous page

Go to full version