GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > PCP/CO2/HPA Air Gun Gates "The Darkside"

Aluminum airgun barrel

(1/18) > >>

TroyHammer:
My thought process.  2024 T3 aluminum has a yield strength of 50,000 PSI and 41v50 used for machine gun barrels is only 55,100 PSI. The hardness is 75 Rockwell C so should hold up to lead indefinitely. At less than 40% the weight of chromoly a hammer forged aluminum barrel can be much thicker thus reducing harmonics like a bull barrel and still be lighter than the factory steel barrel.

Thoughts?

Blutroop:
Subscribing.. in my mind it should work fine but am curious to see how quick it would wear out over a steel barrel.

It would likely be easier to machine too.

TroyHammer:

--- Quote from: Blutroop on December 12, 2020, 01:52:59 AM ---Subscribing.. in my mind it should work fine but am curious to see how quick it would wear out over a steel barrel.

It would likely be easier to machine too.

--- End quote ---

The 2024 t3 is stronger and harder than a lot of steels. With lead at air powered velocity and such little friction heat it should never wear.

nervoustrigger:
Would this alloy have the necessary malleability to accommodate being rifled with a button?  Maybe hammer forging instead?

TroyHammer:

--- Quote from: nervoustrigger on December 12, 2020, 03:07:40 AM ---Would this alloy have the necessary malleability to accommodate being rifled with a button?  Maybe hammer forging instead?

--- End quote ---

Definitely hammer forged. Talked to Todd today at TJ's. He's only a few miles away from me so makes it really convenient. As long as we can find the correct size raw material and we don't find a reason not to do it I'm going to have some made.  Compare what I know works really well to this to see. Use the same mandrel for it and a chromoly barrel to see if they shoot different. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version