GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Wild Game Preparation and Recipes Gate

Hog organ meats

(1/4) > >>

VaporTrail:
Just curious if any of you consume them? What parts? Anything to watch out for in particular?

Way back when, we would include organ meats in a dish we have. Only thing is that the pig was usually raised/domesticated. We'd use some of the blood and throw in some organ meat; heart, liver, sometimes kidneys. Ears and nose if it wasn't going to be roasted. Heck, we'd even clean out the stomach and some of the intestines. I know some of you are probably  :o right now, but that's cool. Lol.

Wild pigs are probably a little different. I don't think I'd be using kidneys, stomach and intestines. Even the liver for that matter. What about the heart, though? I'm thinking it can be prepared same like the mountain oysters; sliced up, put on the grill with some salt and pepper and then dipped in a lemon/garlic/hot pepper/onion sauce.

Whaddya think?

longislandhunter:
I have no experience whatsoever with  wild pigs but I'm really looking forward to the responses from those who do  :)

Jeff

VaporTrail:
just this weekend I fried up some wild pig. Took one rib cage, cut it in half length-wise an cut the ribs individually. Then gave it a light batter of flour, cornstarch, black pepper and garlic powder. Salted the ribs before tossing them in the flour, fried them till a nice golden brown.

Oh my my...that was some good eatin. I also sliced up some backstrap; that one had a nice layer of fat on it. Same deal, little bit of flour and some hot oil. The fat was sinful.  :o

SwampHunter:
Bottom line, anything that you would normally eat off of a domestic hog is safe to eat off of a wild one. The liver and heart are some of my favorite fixins fried up!!! Either go great with gravy over rice or mashed potatoes.

VaporTrail:
Hmm...maybe the ones that are on my ranch I'd trust a little more. Those guys eat good stuff all year round. Tubers from November to about March-ish, guava, avocado, breadfruit, star apples, crab apples, mangoes, coconuts and mountain apples April to October.

The ones coming around the inlaws I wouldn't trust so much with organ meat, and that's because it's a semi-urban setting. I'm sure they're getting into some trash and whatever else is in the back. Some of them look like they've had a hard life; mangy coats, weird bulbous growths on various parts of their bodies, sometimes sporting an eye that doesn't look right.  :o Those I usually give a hard pass; I prefer healthy meat fully cooked through.

I do love me some liver and heart too. Gravy or dipped in a soy-lemon dipping sauce with onions and peppers. Oh boy...hot rice? Champ!!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version