GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Wild Game Preparation and Recipes Gate

How To Skin and Clean a G-hog

<< < (2/10) > >>

redsoxvw:

--- Quote from: longislandhunter on August 18, 2010, 10:10:11 PM ---My pleasure, glad you found it useful.  One further tip.... make sure the knife you use is not to large, it should be small enough for you to manuever accurately and also make sure it's scary sharp... and I do mean scary sharp.  If you're not afraid of the blade then it's not sharp enough.  Using this technique it takes me a whole 5 minutes to completely skin a large g-hog. 

Jeff

--- End quote ---

Dont worry about sharp LOL, I have a professionally honed straight razor, dedicated for this task LOL.....Yup Im old school, I use a badger brush and a Straight on my face as well........I have yet to find a razor sharper than my Wade an Butcher circa 1873

Cant wait to slice and dice the first Ghog of the year .............Eric

longislandhunter:
Yup, that there razor will certainly get the job done alright :)

Jeff

only1harry:
Very nice presentation Jeff!  Thanks for taking the time to edit and post the steps.  I see there is still fat throughout the meat after it's been quartered.  G-hogs are naturally high in fat I guess.  I have tried a very similar method (among others) on raccoon, but it took me a lot longer than 5min, :)  You must work very quickly.  The 5-incision method on the underbelly/skin was actually my uncle's favorite way of skinning most animals other than squirrel and rabbit.  I watched him skin a few goats and sheep that same way (without cutting the head off), and always taught me to cut from the lowest point on the belly up towards the neck/head.  If I didn't know any better, I 'd be calling you uncle Jeff! (Jimmy was his name)  hehehe  ;D

Perry:
Wow Jeff, you are handy with a knife!

longislandhunter:
Thanks Perry, thanks Harry.  G-hogs are a tough animal to skin and the hide really clings to the carcass,, this method makes them a breeze to skin.  This is the technique I use to skin out all my deer as well, except the deer I'd have hanging from a gambrel instead of lying on a cutting board.  As for the bit of fat on the meat in the final picture, you can even trim off all of that as well if you'd like as it comes off very easily.  I find that that little bit left on the meat cooks off when the meat is prepared so I don't usually worry about it to much.

Jeff

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version