GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Wild Game Preparation and Recipes Gate

Skinning squirrels

<< < (2/8) > >>

Xraycer:

--- Quote from: longislandhunter on March 09, 2017, 09:36:53 AM ---I use the method where you lift the tail, make a cut at the base of the tail cutting through the skin and severing the tail bone at the same time, then you lay the squirrel on it's back, place your boot firmly on the squirrels tail while you grab both rear legs firmly.  Now you pull up forcefully on both legs and pull the squirrel up forcefully.  The skin will peel off all the way up to the head and front legs.  A quick pull frees the skin from the front legs and you now cut off the head.  Now all you have to do is grab the small section of skin that stayed on the rear legs during the procedure... grab it and peel it off.   I hope I'm explaining it so you get a picture of it.  Works fantastic.  Takes me about 30 seconds to skin a squirrel.  I first saw the method on YouTube years ago and have used it ever since. 

Jeff

--- End quote ---
I've tried this method a couple of times, and ended up with the tail completely ripped off

longislandhunter:
That can and does happen if you don't make the cut just right, it took me some practice before I got it down.  The key is to make the cut about   1 1/2 inches long, a little longer is ok too,  and make sure the meat is pulled away from the skin on the cut area (I use my knife point to make sure the meat is pulled away). 

If you make the cut to short or the meat is still attached to the skin of the cut then the tail will just rip off when you pull. 

Sounds like you already have a method that works well for you though.   

Jeff

Bicycleman:
Something I failed to mention in my original post:  The sharper your knife is, the better the whole operation will go.  Someone who is very proficient at skinning squirrels could probably be successful with a stick, but WHY?  I use a knife that has a nice point for the reason Jeff pointed out.  And the blade is razor sharp since squirrel skin is on the tough side.  I check the edge before each hunt and dress it if necessary.
Do yourself a favor and the squirrels will thank you - or maybe not.  Hee hee

squirrel_hunter:
  yes sharp knife helps speed up the skinning.i have the outdoor edge razor-lite.it has replaceable blades and they are really sharp and easy to replace.

Bicycleman:
Mark, my brother has one that his son gave him as a little Christmas gift.  He has not had enough practice with it yet - I am trying to remedy that.  The knife I use was given to me by a good friend.  It was a kit that he decorated with a nice handle pair.  It is amazingly sharp and easily kept that way.  I have thanked him several times for being so thoughtful.
EDIT:  Picture of knife.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version