GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > "Bob and Lloyds Workshop"

A New Method for Increasing the Efficiency of a PCP - the SSG

<< < (195/196) > >>

aPpYe:
So now that the SSG has been around for nearly seven years(!) are there any thoughts on what would be the best design?  I built one back then (Super easy, barely an inconvenience!) with a challenger RVA and a bolt, basically Bob's original design.  Quoting Bob, the "guide absorbs energy but does contribute to strike."  While my brain tells me this would mean the design theoretically requires a slightly heavier spring or more preload, I would think the difference would be negligible, compared to designs where the guide does contribute its energy to the strike.  Is this assumption correct?  I have been out of the hobby for some years but am about to rebuild my frankengun and am wanting to see if there are any developments in this arena I should be aware of ...

triggertreat:

--- Quote from: aPpYe on July 20, 2022, 01:34:18 PM ---So now that the SSG has been around for nearly seven years(!) are there any thoughts on what would be the best design?  I built one back then (Super easy, barely an inconvenience!) with a challenger RVA and a bolt, basically Bob's original design.  Quoting Bob, the "guide absorbs energy but does contribute to strike."  While my brain tells me this would mean the design theoretically requires a slightly heavier spring or more preload, I would think the difference would be negligible, compared to designs where the guide does contribute its energy to the strike.  Is this assumption correct?  I have been out of the hobby for some years but am about to rebuild my frankengun and am wanting to see if there are any developments in this arena, I should be aware of ...

--- End quote ---

I settled with the original version of the TSS (Twin Spring System) for the best efficiency, fine tuning, performance and consistent ES after many SSG trials.  The TSS replaced the final design of my own DIY SSG shown in the first photo which did quite well, but I found the TSS offered up a tighter and more consistent ES.

In the last two photos showing the TSS you can see a larger main spring with its own adjustment and a smaller inner spring with its own adjustment while the MDS hammer is still free floated.  The springs are custom cut.  The main spring is cut to allow a gap between the hammer and valve while leaving full thread adjustment and being flush with the end cap.  The inner spring is custom cut to also allow for a gap and for fine tuning and for its bolt adjustment to sit flush with the locking nut (not shown) so I can use my thumb to pull the cocking bolt back.

There is a setscrew in the end cap and a locking nut on the bolt to lock these two spring adjustments down after tuning.  I have the TSS system in both of my Marauders today and they work and hold up very well.

aPpYe:
What I don't like about the TSS (at least the one I have) is that there is no adjustment to the outer spring.  The one I got was meant for a P-Rod it looks like.  My guess is that with the Marauder having a larger diameter tube, it allows for adjustment of both springs.  Also, since I am doing this on essentially a Disco platform, I would also have to drill and tap holes in it to mount it into the tube.  That said, I have never tried my TSS, as the gun has been apart for years.  I will likely tinker with that as well.

triggertreat:

--- Quote from: aPpYe on July 20, 2022, 02:43:00 PM ---What I don't like about the TSS (at least the one I have) is that there is no adjustment to the outer spring.  The one I got was meant for a P-Rod it looks like.  My guess is that with the Marauder having a larger diameter tube, it allows for adjustment of both springs.  Also, since I am doing this on essentially a Disco platform, I would also have to drill and tap holes in it to mount it into the tube.  That said, I have never tried my TSS, as the gun has been apart for years.  I will likely tinker with that as well.

--- End quote ---

I am not familiar with the Prod but possibly what you may have is the newer revised version 2 of TSS.  The second adjustment was eliminated in the version 2 to simplify it.  Travis would know the particulars on these as he is the mastermind behind the TSS system.  I am very fortunate to have two of the original Marauder TSS versions.

TheOtherSprocket:
Hi Friends - In an effort to reduce the hammer bounce in my 2260 I was attempting to build an SSG described in post #637 as it was the simplest and I thought I could use a cap from a 2300 power adjuster.

I gathered parts as best I could off the shelf from my local chain hardware store bins.  Once I got it all home I had some trouble getting the length right and so on.

It was in my search of spare parts in the garage that I thought of the method of using the o-rings to soften the blow at the valve.  Then I found a spring left over from a repair to my sprinkler system air breaker...

I brought the spring to the gun and it fit the tube - then I eyeballed the fit on the valve and found that if I cut the spring exactly in half it might do the trick.  Out came the dremel and the spring was cut.  If it turned out to be too stiff I was going to cut it back in small increments but this wasn't necessary.

I assembled the parts back together and gave it a test - the Brrrrt was gone and while it may not be 100% gone, it certainly is reduced to a level that bears testing.  I hope to get some range time in before I go to work today and focus on round count rather than FPS,etc. 

I had already cut approx. 1 full coil off the hammer spring so I'm using it.  I also did the set screw mod to the trigger group -  No other mods to gun have been made.  The valve is in OEM condition with an unknown round count as I bought the gun second hand.

The spring is 3/4" dia. and 1" long - it feels quite stiff for airgun use but when you cut it down it seems to work well if not perfectly.  The parts kit cost me about $15 shipped from HD and like I said, this was a spare left over from a repair.  I'm sure a single spring can be had for less at a good hardware store.  Still, for about $15 and no other mods, this might be a solution that folks without access to machine shop tools can use to increase performance on a budget.

Here's a link to the parts list for my sprinkler:
https://www.watts.com/products/plumbing-flow-control-solutions/repair-kits/rk-800m4/rk-800m4-v-1

I hope folks find this helpful.  I'll report back when I get some testing done.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version