Thank you to our advertisers!

Author Topic: My FIRST Airgun.  (Read 206 times))

Offline Bear-of-Grayling

• Shooter
  • yes
My FIRST Airgun.
« on: January 11, 2022, 09:53:14 AM »
Hello everybody. My absolute first airgun was a Daisy model 25 pump bb rifle with a Walnut stock. Approximately 1964. Then in 1968 the world changed for me. (And small moving objects) I got a old and worn Crosman 101. (borrowed pic) Within a mile radius of my house it looked like a Nuclear Test Field. I wish I still had them both. Sweet memories!

What was yours?
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 10:09:11 AM by Bear-of-Grayling »
  • USA, AL, Robertsdale

Offline Goose

• Marksman
  • yes
Re: My FIRST Airgun.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2022, 10:15:12 AM »
My older brother got a 760 for Christmas in ’67 and that set the hook for me. He shared it with me occasionally and I treasure those memories. Unfortunately, he was a little less than responsible with it. So I didn’t get one when my twelfth Christmas came around.

So… I traded a couple of Cox .049 models for a Crosman 180 that belonged to a friend when I was fourteen. The parents let me keep it, and here we are.

Be well,

J~
  • Western NC
"There are two types of people.  Those that are interested in controlling others and those that aren't." - R. A. Heinlein

Offline MDriskill

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2022, 11:09:09 AM »
My FIRST airgun was a wood-stocked Crosman M1. Which, like the young dope I was, I sold to a neighbor kid way too cheap after Santa brought my first REAL airgun, a Benjamin.

I still have the Benjy and it still works great. I shot so many pellets through that (never-cleaned) brass barrel, that it's basically an 18 caliber smooth bore today LOL (no exaggeration...no rifling marks on pellets at all)! It's a very early 347 (they are kinda rare with the "Tootsie Roll" pump handle), and was re-built and re-finished at Benjamin in St. Louis not long before they sold out to Sheridan.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 11:14:59 AM by MDriskill »
Wood, steel, and leather...all you need for a proper airgun!

Offline bantam5s

• They might sound like a lot of work till you realize you only need 3-4 pumps for plinking.
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2022, 01:40:28 PM »
My FIRST airgun was a wood-stocked Crosman M1. Which, like the young dope I was, I sold to a neighbor kid way too cheap after Santa brought my first REAL airgun, a Benjamin.

I still have the Benjy and it still works great. I shot so many pellets through that (never-cleaned) brass barrel, that it's basically an 18 caliber smooth bore today LOL (no exaggeration...no rifling marks on pellets at all)! It's a very early 347 (they are kinda rare with the "Tootsie Roll" pump handle), and was re-built and re-finished at Benjamin in St. Louis not long before they sold out to Sheridan.
Just an Fyi, Benjamin actually bought out Sheridan in 1977.
Around '91 Crosman bought the companies.

Btw I say consider yourself lucky, the early M1 may be cool and they're pretty collectable today but that 347 is such a better gun.
Plus not many people can actually say they wore out the rifling on their childhood air rifle.
  • USA CA Arbuckle
some days you kill it and some days you choke, some days you blast off and some days you just smoke

Offline MDriskill

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2022, 07:27:22 PM »
Thanks for the history update!

I sent the gun in for a rebuild in the mid-80's, just sorta had a vague memory that it turned out to be an "end of an era" time.

My brother got a Sheridan a couple years later, we shot both of 'em a LOT. He still has it - still works perfectly and has never been opened up. Took us about 20 years to figger out how to adjust the sight windage, though, LOL...
« Last Edit: January 11, 2022, 07:33:26 PM by MDriskill »
Wood, steel, and leather...all you need for a proper airgun!

Offline bantam5s

• They might sound like a lot of work till you realize you only need 3-4 pumps for plinking.
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2022, 08:59:46 PM »
Thanks for the history update!

I sent the gun in for a rebuild in the mid-80's, just sorta had a vague memory that it turned out to be an "end of an era" time.

My brother got a Sheridan a couple years later, we shot both of 'em a LOT. He still has it - still works perfectly and has never been opened up. Took us about 20 years to figger out how to adjust the sight windage, though, LOL...
It was more or less the beginning of a great but sadly relatively short era if you ask me.

At that time the Benjis got some pretty nice upgrades, the 342 and 347 rifles got those nice more substantial feeling stocks, and a more powerful benji pistol was introduced.
I do love the slim svelte tootsie roll benji's, they're great in their own right for sure, but I really really miss my '81 342.

The model F Sheridan rifles were introduced , the H and E pistols were introduced, the streaks eventuslly all came drilled and tapped for the William's peep, and the forearms eventually slimmed back down a little bit on the streaks.

Overall as far as the guns themselves go, the late 70's through 80's Benjamin-Sheridan/ Racine era was actually pretty good.
It's the time after that which was the end of an era, the early Crosman made offerings are well regarded but they're just not the same and I'm sure you know how it went 2000's+.
  • USA CA Arbuckle
some days you kill it and some days you choke, some days you blast off and some days you just smoke

Offline Bob Pratl

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2022, 07:09:18 AM »
Other than a hand-me-down BB gun, many years ago, my first Air Gun was a $139 springer, with scope, that I purchased to entertain my grandson 8 years ago.
I have not stopped since, nor has my grandson who is now on a ROTC air-gun rifle team.
  • Gloucester,Massachusetts
.257 JSAR Raptor HP Slug 
.357 Evanix REX, AEA Terminator
.30   Mrod from .25, AEA HP SS
.25   Rainstorm II, DAR I, Hatsun Bullboss
.22   Prod, Venom, 2240/2250, CP-1 & CP-2, MK II
.22   Varminter, Liberty, Gauntlet, Avenger, DAR II, LCS SK-19
.177  FAS 6004, SIG P320, BEE P17, Colt Peacemaker, Alfa Proj
.177  Sig Sauer MCX (CO2)/(HPA), AF Edge, Wildfire, Webley
.177 Crosman MK II
Vintage:   MK II(.177), 78G(.22), 101(.22)