GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > Machine Shop Talk & AG Parts Machining

How to lube a 3 jaw lathe chuck when reassembling after cleaning?

(1/5) > >>

nced:
I have a new 5" 3 jaw chuck arriving in a couple days, the cheap 5" Chinese chuck I ordered..........

This particular chuck comes with a back plate (to be machined to fit my bench top lathe) and free shipping so I took the risk. LOL, only 1 review in a foreign language but the retailer is located in Michigan. I'm hoping that the thing isn't "hammer and file" construction like the Chinese B3 I bought decades ago. LOL....I did find a new Bison 5" 3 jaw chuck on sale for a bit under $1000 so a sub $200 (shipping and tax included) Chinese chuck with reversible jaws does seem suspect so I'm hoping that it's at least as good as the other Chinese chuck I bought from Grizzly a couple decades ago.

I know that the Chinese clucks contain a lot of "grinding debris" that wasn't removed at assembly. Before breaking down the new chuck for a "dustin & cleanin" I've been watching YouTube videos on the subject. Funny thing is that there are several options such as grease, oil, dry graphite etc.

The issues mentioned against using grease is that the grease will trap swarf with use. Supposedly the issue with oil is that it gets "slung out" when the chuck is spinning. The dry graphite approach seems viable but I'm wondering if the dry chuck parts will rust from atmospheric humidity in an outdoor garage. If a "dry powder" is indeed a good chuck lube then I have a pound of 5 micron molly powder that I bought to make my own "springer lube blend" but it was never used. Perhaps using the molly powder might be a good use so I'm wondering what the personal opinions of GTA machinists might be.

sb327:
I take mine apart for a thorough cleaning about twice a year. Any light oil to prevent rust. Matters not if it gets slung out. Mine ends up getting oiled by cutting oil during use. 

I would put grease because of the reason you mentioned. It’s hard enough getting swarf to fall out while you slowly rotate it by hand, grease would make it ten times worse.

Keep us posted on how the mounting goes.

Dave

OTmachine:
Way oil works for me

nced:

--- Quote from: nced on October 18, 2021, 06:21:04 PM ---I have a new 5" 3 jaw chuck arriving in a couple days, the cheap 5" Chinese chuck I ordered..........

This particular chuck comes with a back plate (to be machined to fit my bench top lathe) and free shipping so I took the risk. LOL, only 1 review in a foreign language but the retailer is located in Michigan. I'm hoping that the thing isn't "hammer and file" construction like the Chinese B3 I bought decades ago. LOL....I did find a new Bison 5" 3 jaw chuck on sale for a bit under $1000 so a sub $200 (shipping and tax included) Chinese chuck with reversible jaws does seem suspect so I'm hoping that it's at least as good as the other Chinese chuck I bought from Grizzly a couple decades ago.

I know that the Chinese clucks contain a lot of "grinding debris" that wasn't removed at assembly. Before breaking down the new chuck for a "dustin & cleanin" I've been watching YouTube videos on the subject. Funny thing is that there are several options such as grease, oil, dry graphite etc.

The issues mentioned against using grease is that the grease will trap swarf with use. Supposedly the issue with oil is that it gets "slung out" when the chuck is spinning. The dry graphite approach seems viable but I'm wondering if the dry chuck parts will rust from atmospheric humidity in an outdoor garage. If a "dry powder" is indeed a good chuck lube then I have a pound of 5 micron molly powder that I bought to make my own "springer lube blend" but it was never used. Perhaps using the molly powder might be a good use so I'm wondering what the personal opinions of GTA machinists might be.

--- End quote ---
Thanks for the feedback! I've been using oil but the posts I read recommending grease on the scroll had me wondering. The "dry graphite" lube also seemed to be good however it does indeed seem to be a recipe for rusting between parts.

Firewalker:
I've used RemOil on my chucks then used compressed air to blow as much off I could. Swarf seems to not be a problem as much as dust.

A good puff of compressed air clears that out.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version