GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

Target Shooting Matches, Discussion & Events > The Long Range Club

20 FPE .177 @ 100 Yards?

(1/3) > >>

mwgm2020:
I know most 100+ shooting is being done with larger calibers. 

But what is the feasibility of using an accurate 20 FPE .177 to shoot at 100 yards in an NUAH attempt?

Florida airgunner:

--- Quote from: mwgm2020 on September 26, 2021, 06:07:57 PM ---I know most 100+ shooting is being done with larger calibers. 

But what is the feasibility of using an accurate 20 FPE .177 to shoot at 100 yards in an NUAH attempt?

--- End quote ---

A .22 will buck the wind and retain more energy on target at that range compared to a .177

Motorhead:
Can ONLY offer up some personal experience ....
This season i competed in an extreme Field target match ( 30 to 100 ) and Bench rest match  ( 75 & 100 ) at the same venue over 2 days. 
I brought out a .177 caliber rifle to do this with. tho power was near 36 fpe !!
While it did well in the Field target challenge is was near the bottom in Bench rest being bested by near every other caliber !!!  HAD IT BEEN ONLY a 20 fpe rifle ?   Just a joke IMO being way too far out for the caliber especially at only 20 fpe.  Will a .177 at .20 fpe shoot that far .. Absolutely .... do so accurately .... Nope  :P
I competitively shoot Field target out to 55 yards and that's TOUGH staying inside a 1 1/2" circle if any wind is present with a .177 at 20 fpe.

1st hand experience .. not hearsay or telling you what you wish to hear .... sorry.

Scott S

DMR214:
I've also been into .177 for a real long time. After so many rounds, and a notebook to jot down my dope for different wind conditions. I was able to land 1st round hits at 100 yards on soda cans, using a gamo magnum .177 , 10.3 gr, coming out to 22fpe.
After getting a .25 I hardly ever pick up the .177 lol. The wind drift is so much less , and more predictable.
BTW here is my .177 nuah I never submitted because I accidentally took a 6th shot.

Fussell:
Good luck, I haven't been able to get sub moa with a .22 cal yet. Had to jump up to .30 cal before I started doing it consistently.

Hope to get my hands on a .22 rifle/pellet combination that will put me over that hurdle one day. And again we're probably talking 45 + fpe to get me there?

I've done it with both my .25 cal rifles, but not consistent like the .30

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version