PyramydAir The Airgun Experts Umarex USA Airguns Utah Airguns Nielson Specialty Ammo Nielson Specialty Ammo FX Airguns DonnyFL Airgun Archery Fun Saber Tactical New England Airguns Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop Sekhmet USA Freedom Targets AirgunWeb Old School Airgun Reviews Hajimoto Productions Airgun Angie - Backyard Shooting Air Tanks Plus Jefferson State Air Rifles PyramydAir The Airgun Experts Umarex USA Airguns Utah Airguns Nielson Specialty Ammo Nielson Specialty Ammo FX Airguns DonnyFL Airgun Archery Fun Saber Tactical New England Airguns Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop Sekhmet USA Freedom Targets AirgunWeb Old School Airgun Reviews Hajimoto Productions Airgun Angie - Backyard Shooting Air Tanks Plus Jefferson State Air Rifles PyramydAir The Airgun Experts Umarex USA Airguns Utah Airguns Nielson Specialty Ammo Nielson Specialty Ammo FX Airguns DonnyFL Airgun Archery Fun Saber Tactical New England Airguns Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop Sekhmet USA Freedom Targets AirgunWeb Old School Airgun Reviews Hajimoto Productions Airgun Angie - Backyard Shooting Air Tanks Plus Jefferson State Air Rifles PyramydAir The Airgun Experts Umarex USA Airguns Utah Airguns Nielson Specialty Ammo Nielson Specialty Ammo FX Airguns DonnyFL Airgun Archery Fun Saber Tactical New England Airguns Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop Sekhmet USA Freedom Targets AirgunWeb Old School Airgun Reviews Hajimoto Productions Airgun Angie - Backyard Shooting Air Tanks Plus Jefferson State Air Rifles

Author Topic: Practice, practice, practice...  (Read 772 times))

Offline EdinGa

• Expert
  • yes
Re: Practice, practice, practice...
« Reply #20 on: September 03, 2021, 08:52:37 AM »
Thanks for following along, and I'm glad you enjoyed it. I made it after a bunch of targets and just the right conditions. You're right about the wind and these .177s. It really blows them around.

https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=188692.0
  • Gray, Ga

Offline JungleShooter

• How ironic 🤦🏼‍♂️: All my life I had to be a jack-of-all-trades. And now since getting into airgunning all of a sudden they call me an
  • Expert
  • There is a bug. It's called AG. It bit me! Bad.
« Reply #21 on: September 07, 2021, 01:43:12 AM »
I've got better pellets and better rifles but I'm determined to do it with
a sub $200 gun,
a cvlife 3-9x, and
cheap pellets.

I love the spirit in which you take on the NUAH challenge, Ed!
Very cool! 👍🏼
And congrats! 😊   

I was working on a NUAH submission as well with a sub-$100 springer in .22cal.... and I could see this might work out.

But then I bought some PCPs.
And shot exclusively PCP's for a couple years.Then I had visitors using my PCPs and I dug out the springer.
➔ 😱 And I was totally frustrated!, disgusted!,  shocked! at the shot cycle, the noise, the lack of precision, the hold-sensitivity O it was the pits.
No, I will never go back to that....

Matthias
  • Lima, PERU

Offline EdinGa

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #22 on: September 07, 2021, 02:12:36 AM »
I've got better pellets and better rifles but I'm determined to do it with
a sub $200 gun,
a cvlife 3-9x, and
cheap pellets.

I love the spirit in which you take on the NUAH challenge, Ed!
Very cool! 👍🏼
And congrats! 😊   

I was working on a NUAH submission as well with a sub-$100 springer in .22cal.... and I could see this might work out.

But then I bought some PCPs.
And shot exclusively PCP's for a couple years.Then I had visitors using my PCPs and I dug out the springer.
➔ 😱 And I was totally frustrated!, disgusted!,  shocked! at the shot cycle, the noise, the lack of precision, the hold-sensitivity O it was the pits.
No, I will never go back to that....

Matthias

Thank you, Matthias! I finally qualified with this rig, but even a little wind sure blows .177s around.

Just like you, I started out shooting springers, but once I got ahold of a pcp and hand pump, I never looked back.
  • Gray, Ga

Offline K.O.

• Eternally Tinkering
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2021, 03:51:28 PM »
looks like fun Ed...there is a satisfaction to doing well with cheap pellets... But my Storm does not...only likes Sniper Mags and 10.3 A.A. so far... nasty accurate at 35 yards with said pellets tho... stock barrel with just some leade work...

initial testing of it and my Urby  here...  https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=151471.0 

Mine is a Gen1 clearance... has it's faults and pluses...

One of the pluses is 25 fpe with 15g dead stock... I believe they are ported to .140"(both .177 & .22)... that means a longer barrel should pick up the fpe 'specially with the .177... and the cool thing is the way the storm is set up do not have to degas to change barrels... just loosen the grub screws...

So yep would love to give mine like 3 or more different barrels and call him the Monkey King...a different personality is just a barrel change away.. ;) 

For heavier pellets was thinking could use a Maximus barrel that extra 6"+ of barrel should turn it into a 30+ fpe  rifle in .177... would open up a couple barrel bands to .5" and sleeve the barrel to match...

well anyways Back to CPUM doing best at 100... I believe it for sure... back in about 2014 saw a y tube vid of a guy with a Steyr .177 and it was 10.3 CPUM that was most accurate with groups comparable to yours... also they are the most accurate pellet in my .177 Buccaneer... It really is funny to me how folks dump on Crosman/Benji pellets... you never really know what will work best... Had a 2100 that after I choked the barrel was a laser with the Crosman 7.4 pointed... My first Maximus liked CPHP 14.3 best... Oh well their loss... 

well any ways nice job blazing the trail of 100 yards with a Storm... cheap ammo rifle and scope...you blazed a trail with your Urban and BBT also... it is showing that an air rifle can do very well without costing a mint...not to mention it's fun...

Hope your day is going well,
                                         Kirby

• The Great Northwest, United States, Washington
PC77 steel breech 18.7" barrel,  700 fps @ 15 & 755 @ 20 pumps with 7.4g Crosman points

1322 steel breech 14.5" barrel, 640-650 fps @ 22 pumps w/14.3g CPHP

1322 MLT steel breech 19" barrel, 682 fps @ 22 pumps w/14.3g CPHP,  13xx/66 hybrid

1322XLT 22" barrel, 700 fps  @ 11 pumps & 750 @ 16 w/14.3g CPHP,   13xx/2100 hybrid

MK-1322 steel breech 22" barrel, 750 fps @ 17 pumps & 805 @ 22 w/14.3g CPHP,   Mk-177/2240/13xx hybrid

U.S. Shooting Team 953  reduced valve, 525 fps w/ 7.4g points

Offline Firewalker

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • USN from birth to the grave
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2021, 04:37:43 PM »
that'll tighten up with some good ammo.  Crosman shouldn't even be on the list, IMO.

Thank God they are on the list. IMHO.
  • USA, MN, Mille Lacs
You may not go around, you must go through.

Offline EdinGa

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2021, 07:35:05 PM »
looks like fun Ed...there is a satisfaction to doing well with cheap pellets... But my Storm does not...only likes Sniper Mags and 10.3 A.A. so far... nasty accurate at 35 yards with said pellets tho... stock barrel with just some leade work...

initial testing of it and my Urby  here...  https://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=151471.0 

Mine is a Gen1 clearance... has it's faults and pluses...

One of the pluses is 25 fpe with 15g dead stock... I believe they are ported to .140"(both .177 & .22)... that means a longer barrel should pick up the fpe 'specially with the .177... and the cool thing is the way the storm is set up do not have to degas to change barrels... just loosen the grub screws...

So yep would love to give mine like 3 or more different barrels and call him the Monkey King...a different personality is just a barrel change away.. ;) 

For heavier pellets was thinking could use a Maximus barrel that extra 6"+ of barrel should turn it into a 30+ fpe  rifle in .177... would open up a couple barrel bands to .5" and sleeve the barrel to match...

well anyways Back to CPUM doing best at 100... I believe it for sure... back in about 2014 saw a y tube vid of a guy with a Steyr .177 and it was 10.3 CPUM that was most accurate with groups comparable to yours... also they are the most accurate pellet in my .177 Buccaneer... It really is funny to me how folks dump on Crosman/Benji pellets... you never really know what will work best... Had a 2100 that after I choked the barrel was a laser with the Crosman 7.4 pointed... My first Maximus liked CPHP 14.3 best... Oh well their loss... 

well any ways nice job blazing the trail of 100 yards with a Storm... cheap ammo rifle and scope...you blazed a trail with your Urban and BBT also... it is showing that an air rifle can do very well without costing a mint...not to mention it's fun...

Hope your day is going well,
                                         Kirby

Thanks for your input, Kirby! I'm always grateful to see your name pop up in one of my posts.

I try to live within my means, and I'm not a patient person when it comes to saving up for things like airguns. Mid to low end guns work just fine for me, and if cheaper pellets work that's icing on the cake.

My Stormrider has a stock hammer spring, and shoots lighter pellets supersonic, so heavies are a must. I'm pretty well stocked up on the 10.5 CPUMs so I'm all set. I have to admit having a 177 at this power level is a hoot.
  • Gray, Ga

Offline EdinGa

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2021, 07:36:58 PM »
that'll tighten up with some good ammo.  Crosman shouldn't even be on the list, IMO.

I agree and let haters hate. That just leaves more for us to buy.
  • Gray, Ga

Offline Firewalker

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • USN from birth to the grave
« Reply #27 on: September 16, 2021, 08:19:10 PM »

I agree and let haters hate. That just leaves more for us to buy.

Indeed!
  • USA, MN, Mille Lacs
You may not go around, you must go through.