Saber Tactical
New England Airgun
Umarex Airguns
Contact us
Utah Airguns
SEKHMET Airgun Accessories
Freedom Gun Targets
Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop

Author Topic: Sighted in my new HW95  (Read 678 times))

Offline cw308

• Shooter
  • yes
Sighted in my new HW95
« on: September 14, 2021, 11:36:18 PM »
After sighting my new HW95 I wanted to also add the Williams FP-AG-TK peep sight to make the sight picture clearer , l'm shooting with progressive lenses . It looks like the only way to use the peep I would have to remove the rear sight. The original sights work fine but would have liked all three . I would guess everyone using peep sights the rear sight is off.
  • USA, NY, Plainview

Offline Struckat

• Sharp Shooter
  • The red dog is always watching
Re: Sighted in my new HW95
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2021, 11:47:55 PM »
You mean remove the part that screws in to the tower or the sight itself? I have tried that but it didnít work for me. I too wear progressive bifocals and really struggle to get a good sight picture unless the lighting is really good.
On my 95 I have gone back to the factory sights.

A target peep, like on my Daisy 853, puts the eye piece closer to my eye and solves the issue.

Using the Williams on my 30, I can get closer to the eye piece. Not so much on my 95.
  • In the basement, Illinois
1377, 1986

Offline Bayman

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2021, 11:51:03 PM »
Yeah Chris the OE rear sights gotta go. I can't use Buckhorn sights indoors either. I need readers now and can only use some Buckhorn sights outdoors in perfect conditions. Have fun Thursday
  • USA,  NY
Hw30- .177- Vortek PG2, Tech sights
Hw30 Laminate- .177- Vortek PG2, Hawke
Airmax 2-7x32 AO. 
Hw30-.177 Vortek PG3 steel, Hawke Vantage IR 2-7x32 AO
Hw50- .177- Vortek PG3, Hawke 4X non A/O
Hw50- .22 - Vortek PG2, Tech sights
Hw95- .177- Vortek PG2, Hawke Airmax 3-9x40
Hw97SE (Green 77 Laminate stock)-.177 Vortek PG3, Hawke 4-12x40 Airmax
P1- 0.20 now .177
R1- 0.20 - Vortek Pg4, Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO

Offline Stinger177

• Favorite sport - Anything that requires a helmet.
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2021, 01:11:50 AM »
Well this is my own personal take on this.

First off, at 68 yrs. old, I wear soft contact lenses. Don't know my exact vision level, but at distance it's pretty much 20-20. I can read street signs two blocks away. I do need 1.5 power readers however such as for typing this on my laptop. Anything within about three feet of distance, I'll have my readers on. Beyond that distance, my vision is quite good, so I guess I should consider myself blessed in that regard.

However, with my Williams FP-AG, or any of my scopes, I do not need my readers. I can see perfectly and accurately through an FP-AG (0.05" aperture) using only my contact lenses. On a couple of my Weihrauch, I have an attached Seibert or Gehmann aperture which have a focusing lens. That helps as well (obviously).

Now one may think - why should I need readers to type on a laptop, but I can sight through an FP-AG 3" away? I don't know. I only know that I can utilize the tight aperture of the Williams, and aside from a very slight astigmatism, I can center the front sight and hit my target.

But let's get back to the subject of the peep and the original HW rear sight. If you're referring to the HW rear sight as the one mounted on the breech block, yeah, that has to go bye bye if using a peep, mounted on the scope receiver grooves.

DO NOT misplace that HW rear sight. Put it in a safe place where you will remember.

Use only one or the other. The rear peep on the scope mount grooves, or the OEM breech block Buckhorns.

You cannot employ all three.

Peeps sights provide the advantage of a longer sight radius and more accuracy within a long enough time to study the target, but the original breech mounted Bucks provide for faster target acquisition.

It's all about what you want to shoot, and how you want to shoot it.

Hope this helps.

:o
  • Denver, CO, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way   ... - .. -. --. . .-. .---- --... --... / - --- / -- --- - .... . .-. / ... .... .. .--. .-.-.- / .--. .-.. . .- ... . / -.-. --- -- . / -... .- -.-. -.- / .- -. -.. / --. . - / -- . .-.-.-
You can view my gun list here

Offline Yogi

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2021, 01:30:36 AM »
Well this is my own personal take on this.

First off, at 68 yrs. old, I wear soft contact lenses. Don't know my exact vision level, but at distance it's pretty much 20-20. I can read street signs two blocks away. I do need 1.5 power readers however such as for typing this on my laptop. Anything within about three feet of distance, I'll have my readers on. Beyond that distance, my vision is quite good, so I guess I should consider myself blessed in that regard.

However, with my Williams FP-AG, or any of my scopes, I do not need my readers. I can see perfectly and accurately through an FP-AG (0.05" aperture) using only my contact lenses. On a couple of my Weihrauch, I have an attached Seibert or Gehmann aperture which have a focusing lens. That helps as well (obviously).

Now one may think - why should I need readers to type on a laptop, but I can sight through an FP-AG 3" away? I don't know. I only know that I can utilize the tight aperture of the Williams, and aside from a very slight astigmatism, I can center the front sight and hit my target.

But let's get back to the subject of the peep and the original HW rear sight. If you're referring to the HW rear sight as the one mounted on the breech block, yeah, that has to go bye bye if using a peep, mounted on the scope receiver grooves.

DO NOT misplace that HW rear sight. Put it in a safe place where you will remember.

Use only one or the other. The rear peep on the scope mount grooves, or the OEM breech block Buckhorns.

You cannot employ all three.

Peeps sights provide the advantage of a longer sight radius and more accuracy within a long enough time to study the target, but the original breech mounted Bucks provide for faster target acquisition.

It's all about what you want to shoot, and how you want to shoot it.

Hope this helps.

:o

Somes up my situation pretty well too.... ;)

-Y
  • San Francisco, CA
Hatsan 95 Vortex, .22
RWS 6G, .177
RWS LP8 Magnum, .177
Diana 340 N-Tec, .22 Compact Lexus
HW 50S, .177, .20, and .22

Offline Struckat

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2021, 07:44:38 AM »
I totally misunderstood, didnít realize you were asking if you need to remove the factory rear sight.

1377, 1986

Offline cw308

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2021, 04:32:34 PM »
 : Struckat
    I removed the rear sight completely , installed the Williams peep .Worked out fine , I set it 1/4" from the safety, I just snugged down the screws hopefully they will stay in place . Now it's up to me from here on.. What do you do to the rear sight post and screw holes? For now I just pot a strip of black electrical tape to stop &^^& from going in the holes.
Chris
  • USA, NY, Plainview

Offline Cslinger

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 05:03:51 PM »
It may or may not be what your used to but give one or both of the front aperture sight inserts a try with the rear Williams or a real rear aperture in the future.  You may find they shoot as well or better then with glass.

Offline Bayman

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2021, 05:42:23 PM »
: Struckat
    I removed the rear sight completely , installed the Williams peep .Worked out fine , I set it 1/4" from the safety, I just snugged down the screws hopefully they will stay in place . Now it's up to me from here on.. What do you do to the rear sight post and screw holes? For now I just pot a strip of black electrical tape to stop &^^& from going in the holes.
Chris
I leave the holes empty. Nothing ever collected in there on me. People have various techniques to hide or plug the holes because they bother them. They used to bother me too. I never found an elegant solution and left them open until I found one. I'm so used to the open holes now I don't even see them anymore.
  • USA,  NY
Airmax 2-7x32 AO. 
P1- 0.20 now .177

Offline Robert 5mm

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2021, 06:27:17 PM »

I leave the holes empty. Nothing ever collected in there on me. People have various techniques to hide or plug the holes because they bother them. They used to bother me too. I never found an elegant solution and left them open until I found one. I'm so used to the open holes now I don't even see them anymore.

Ron I notice your new R9 has the sight cover plate in your picture.
I also have the plate on my R1 but use black plastic furniture plugs on my R9, R7 and HW50
  • USA, IL, Raleigh
Beeman R1 Carbine & R9 5mm, R7 & P17 .177
Benjamin 392, 397 & C9A, Fortitude & NP2 Trail Stealth SBD .22, NP Pistol .177
Crosman 1322 & 2289 .22, 1377 & 760B .177
Diana 48 & 460 .22, K98 .177
Hatsan 1000 Striker .25
Sheridan Blue & Silver Streaks, EB20 & HB20 5mm
Walther Parrus .177 & .22
Weihrauch HW50S 5mm
Air Venturi Avenger .22

Offline Struckat

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2021, 06:48:44 PM »
I went to Ace and bought four little plastic plugs that fit in the holes on both of my rifles.
1377, 1986

Offline Stinger177

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2021, 07:34:32 PM »
Ages ago, ARH (The original Robert Law owned ARH) offered brass grub screws to fill the sight holes. I have two ARH HW30 S-X's that have those brass screws installed. Beeman offered them up as well, but they are long out of production.

Very odd 5mm x 0.5mm pitch thread.

Those cover plates are EXTREMELY rare, so hang on to any of them that you may have!!

:D

• Denver, CO, USA, North America, Earth, Sol, Milky Way   ... - .. -. --. . .-. .---- --... --... / - --- / -- --- - .... . .-. / ... .... .. .--. .-.-.- / .--. .-.. . .- ... . / -.-. --- -- . / -... .- -.-. -.- / .- -. -.. / --. . - / -- . .-.-.-

Offline nced

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2021, 07:39:24 PM »
"What do you do to the rear sight post and screw holes?"
I've shot hunter class field target matches and squirrel hunted during times of rain so I simply used black RTV silicone rubber to plug the sight screw holes. Easy peasey and it rain proofs the previously open holes.........
Before........
HW95 rear sight screw holes showing the spline that was pressed into the breech block wherre water could enter and cause corrosion............

After.........
Holes filled with silicone rubber, wiped flush, then allowed to cure. If I ever want/need to reinstall the screws the soft silicone rubber is easily removed from the holes..........

• USA, North Carolina, Rougemont

Offline Struckat

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2021, 07:55:51 PM »
Mmm, those are nice Dennis.
1377, 1986

Offline Stinger177

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2021, 09:38:40 PM »
Mmm, those are nice Dennis.

Yes, and tasty looking as well, neh?

CraigH ran me a few test versions of recreations of them. They are quite difficult to reproduce in an efficient manner, so those that I have on hand from the test run I am going to keep, out of total greediness and appreciation to CraigH.

However, I just thought I'd toss out the idea that if someone could produce them, the dim's are 5mm x 0.5mm pitch x 5mm length.

HTH

:D

Offline Stinger177

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2021, 09:45:31 PM »
This is really frustrating as this issue has come up so many times.

Sight hole inserts.

Is there really no one out there who can machine these little screws?

I know I can't because I don't have the machinery, but surely (not Shirley) someone can do it?

???

Offline Bayman

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2021, 09:52:50 PM »

I also have the plate on my R1 but use black plastic furniture plugs on my R9, R7 and HW50
You caught me, Lol. Yeah the R9 is the only gun I own with a blanking plate. It was put on with the muzzle brake when it was bought new. I have no love for it but it's already there and it's listed on the original bill of sale. So it stays.
  • USA,  NY
Airmax 2-7x32 AO. 
P1- 0.20 now .177

Offline Stinger177

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2021, 10:01:48 PM »

You caught me, Lol. Yeah the R9 is the only gun I own with a blanking plate. It was put on with the muzzle brake when it was bought new. I have no love for it but it's already there and it's listed on the original bill of sale. So it stays.

As I said.

Keep it.

Learn to love it.

It is VERY rare.

If you really don't want it, send it to me.

I have one of those cover plates, but it is for a longer breech, of which gun I do not know fits to.

Here's an example of a cover plate on a rare Maccari stocked and tuned rifle. I'm still, after four years now, trying to buy this rifle from the owner.

;)

« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 10:13:49 PM by Stinger177 »

Offline cw308

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2021, 02:46:18 PM »
Cslinger
       I removed the rear sight, when looking at the rear sight I noticed you could change the shape of the cut out by rotating the sight plate , nice feature , even though I'm going with the peep. I also ordered the smaller target aperture .050 x 1/2" . I also put back the rear sight bace it does not interfere with the sight picture. The globe front sight doesn't come with inserts
 I would have to order a different globe like on the HW95L, for now I'm fine with this one.
  • USA, NY, Plainview

Offline cw308

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2021, 02:48:52 PM »
Stinger
      Could probably find a set screw .
  • USA, NY, Plainview