Author Topic: Winchester 1977xs vs Daisy 880?  (Read 750 times))

Offline Hunterdude

• Shooter
  • yes
Re: Winchester 1977xs vs Daisy 880?
« Reply #20 on: August 21, 2021, 11:21:53 AM »
Good to hear both rifles are shooting well for you.
Now just find they’re favorite pellet and stock up on them when available!🙂

Thank you, I want to try the Spain made Daisy flat nose wadcutters several folks have raved about....there seems to only be pointed pellets at the close stores to me, I hope to do a big shopping run today and If I find them, will grab a couple tins.
   Also my new Daisy 35 is performing well on the chrony but accuracy is not what my last Daisy BSA 1910 was....thinking of tear it down tonight and check the barrel to barrel bushing fit, if it is loose I will do the tape mod and may try the credit card mod as well when I am in there.
  • USA, MI, Cedar Springs

Offline Back_Roads

• I Got A 10 Pump BB Gun :) BB Guns Got Much More Complicated :)
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • 1st Edition Crosman 760 Pump Master
    • Back_Roads Airgunning
« Reply #21 on: August 21, 2021, 11:48:39 AM »
 I upped the tape mod game, I use a sink faucet washer drilled to fit the barrel .30" barrel OD, then while it is still on the drill bit, I run it on sand paper to get it to a snug fit to the barrel shroud. I start the washer over the barrel, I use the smaller bevel ones btw, and point the bevel to the front sight then push the front sight on.

Not sure where Ronno6 is with his improved trigger, but do believe he has a more user friendly pre assembled kit in the works, way less trial and error than getting the right thickness credit card IMO.
https://m.media-amazon.com/images/I/61O-e-t0eaL._AC_SL1000_.jpg
 I just noticed the washer kit has some brass screws that work great for finishing barrel crowns.  ;)
  • Wisconsin Collins ;Hunters Paradise; Theres a Sign in town to prove it :)
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3hMPAjvTtuu7DoNzBZzuKQ?view_as=subscriber
 Below is a collection of helpful airgun videos
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLASJo4rBxMImx-kNnbppkIBV86G5Yentf

Offline Hunterdude

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2021, 10:40:37 PM »
I kind of like the rubber sink washer idea, the rubber compliance would help to get a nice fit and the rubber may dampen vibration which may help with accuracy.
  I don't know if my Daisy 35 has a mid barrel support, but could possibly grind the OD less to get a mid support as well.
  • USA, MI, Cedar Springs

Offline Sh00ter

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #23 on: September 29, 2021, 01:20:42 PM »
Its not even close. The 1977xs I got was 69.99 at Academy Sports. It beats my 2004 model 880 in every way. It is stiffer to pump, but still much less stiff than most pump guns and easier to pump than a model 35.

I can get 16FPE+ with heavy pellet in a package much lighter and more compact than my NP break barrel rifles. The scope is junk, I couldn't find the 4x AO scope in stock, but the 2x7 Winchester scope is worth it to have the adjust-ability and you can still find it on Amazon for 40-50 bux. Originally I tried to find the 4x Winchester AO but never could; maybe I'll grab one when they become available again but adjust-ability is sort of nice too since this gun could probably still kill something @100yrds if you over-pump. (most I've pumped is 15 and that becomes too hard so that is my limit for max power).

Full disclosure, right now my 1977xs has the buckrail generic AO scope on it (it is a bug buster clone & he recently raised the price to 40 bux) because I wanted something the same size as the junk scope that came with it with and mil-dot since this gun can reach out farther. I use the Winchester scope on two Crosman rigs, but I like the compact scope on the 1977xs since the gun is light & compact. HOWEVER, I still think the Winchester scope is a good pairing for this gun if you don't mind the extra length and lack of mil-dot.

The old 880 I have over-pumped can still get into the mid 700FPS range and is expendable to toss in the boat with open sights. But the loose stock (old style) and out-dated look and feel with less power just makes the 1977xs worth the extra money it you are only going to buy ONE. It also has double o-rings on the bolt probe (not sure if the newer 880's have that but mine doesn't).

I consider the 1977xs the ultimate 177 air gun if I could only have one. But although it feels more solid than the 880, it is still chinese plastic and that's why I still keep a 2289g and some other 13xx guns for bugout bag guns. But anytime you have a sub-100 dollar pumper than cold probably kill raccoons with heavy pellets (and over-pumping), that is impressive. Finally, the 1977xs compared to my older 880, is MUCH easier to load a pellet!

Spanish 7.5gr Daisy flat-nose does ~800FPS @ 10 pumps in my 1977xs
« Last Edit: September 29, 2021, 01:25:34 PM by Sh00ter »
  • OK, USA

Offline ER00z

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #24 on: September 29, 2021, 04:03:13 PM »
Just curious, what are the differences that make the 1977xs more powerful over the 880?

• USA, Central NY

Offline Ronno6

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #25 on: September 29, 2021, 08:36:03 PM »
Just curious, what are the differences that make the 1977xs more powerful over the 880?

The pump stroke is 1" longer,
The pump handle is longer,
The piston has 2 O-rings, as does the bolt,
The chamber may have more volume...at least the seal abutment is hollow...
And...GONE is the elastomer spring....replaced by a square-wire coil spring.

• United States of America,Stone County, Mississippi
You can lead a man to water, but you can't keep him from urinating in it.

Offline ER00z

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #26 on: September 29, 2021, 09:24:19 PM »
Ronno6, thanks a bunch for the information.

I always thought they were the same, but kept reading they (1977xs) had more gusto over the 880. After a few simple mods (but left dimple in piston head) my 880 makes 9.5fpe w/7.9's and
about 10.5fpe w/11.5 silver points (@ 12 pumps) and thought that was pretty good. That was about a 2fpe increase from stock. The 1977xs seems to blow it out of the water right from the box.

Some day I'll have to get a photo of the abutment seal I ground down. Maybe I got lucky and made it just thick enough to last for past 7-8 years of use. I guestamated how much material to leave so it didn't blow away from the retaining pin... So far so good.
  • USA, Central NY

Offline Ronno6

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #27 on: September 29, 2021, 10:23:53 PM »
 believe the seal abutment has a steel tube for the snout.
It is a smaller diameter where it enters the valve body as I thein the VB may be a bit stouter.
The abutment for an 880 will not fit.

The only real knock against the 1977 is the stiff trigger.
I have read posts in which the trigger pull has been measured at 7 1/2#.....
If only someone could do something about that.....
  • United States of America,Stone County, Mississippi
You can lead a man to water, but you can't keep him from urinating in it.