PyramydAir The Airgun Experts Umarex USA Airguns Utah Airguns Nielson Specialty Ammo Nielson Specialty Ammo FX Airguns DonnyFL Airgun Archery Fun Saber Tactical New England Airguns Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop Sekhmet USA Freedom Targets AirgunWeb Old School Airgun Reviews Hajimoto Productions Airgun Angie - Backyard Shooting Air Tanks Plus Jefferson State Air Rifles PyramydAir The Airgun Experts Umarex USA Airguns Utah Airguns Nielson Specialty Ammo Nielson Specialty Ammo FX Airguns DonnyFL Airgun Archery Fun Saber Tactical New England Airguns Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop Sekhmet USA Freedom Targets AirgunWeb Old School Airgun Reviews Hajimoto Productions Airgun Angie - Backyard Shooting Air Tanks Plus Jefferson State Air Rifles PyramydAir The Airgun Experts Umarex USA Airguns Utah Airguns Nielson Specialty Ammo Nielson Specialty Ammo FX Airguns DonnyFL Airgun Archery Fun Saber Tactical New England Airguns Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop Sekhmet USA Freedom Targets AirgunWeb Old School Airgun Reviews Hajimoto Productions Airgun Angie - Backyard Shooting Air Tanks Plus Jefferson State Air Rifles PyramydAir The Airgun Experts Umarex USA Airguns Utah Airguns Nielson Specialty Ammo Nielson Specialty Ammo FX Airguns DonnyFL Airgun Archery Fun Saber Tactical New England Airguns Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop Sekhmet USA Freedom Targets AirgunWeb Old School Airgun Reviews Hajimoto Productions Airgun Angie - Backyard Shooting Air Tanks Plus Jefferson State Air Rifles

Author Topic: New scope?  (Read 289 times))

Offline cpool

• Marksman
  • yes
New scope?
« on: August 03, 2021, 05:30:19 PM »
I have a hawk vantage 4x12x40 but it just doesn’t seam very clear. Is there a clearer scope in the price range of the hawk?
  • Arkansas
Rws 34 177
Benjamin discovery 22
Hw 50.177

Offline Bayman

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
Re: New scope?
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2021, 05:52:34 PM »
The Vantage scopes aren't the best but they're generally pretty good. I've got a bunch of them and better scopes too. Is your Vantage an A/O scope? If it is, is it possible that you haven't adjusted the objective or ocular correctly? Many people that are disappointed in their scopes just don't understand how to properly focus them. Please don't be offended by the question. I've seen people at the range with $5000 rigs that don't know how to properly focus their scopes. The vast majority of shooters don't.

What scopes do you have that you think are clearer?
  • USA,
Hw30- .177- Vortek PG2, Tech sights
Hw30 Laminate- .177- Vortek PG2, Hawke
Airmax 2-7x32 AO. 
Hw30-.177 Vortek PG3 steel, Hawke Vantage IR 2-7x32 AO
Hw50- .177- Vortek PG3, Hawke 4X non A/O
Hw95- .177- Vortek PG2, Hawke Airmax 3-9x40
Hw97SE (Green 77 Laminate stock)-.177 Vortek PG3, Hawke 4-12x40 Airmax
P1- 0.20 now .177
R1- 0.20 - Vortek Pg4, Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO
R9 SE (Blue Laminate stock) - 0.020- Vortek PG4, Hawke Airmax 3-9x40 AO

Offline cpool

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2021, 06:24:57 PM »
My scope does have AO you maybe right I don’t have it adjusted right. I have Leupold and Nikon that seam clearer but there are not air rifle scopes
  • Arkansas
Rws 34 177
Benjamin discovery 22
Hw 50.177

Offline Bicycleman

• Just another
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2021, 06:51:53 PM »
Chuck, remember that it doesn't have to be an air rifle scope for your Discovery rifle.  The Leupold or Nikon would be safe on the Discovery.
  • USA - Tennessee  --  Murfreesboro
Murfreesboro, Tennessee - Was Louisiana
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went. Will Rogers.
Faites-moi une faveur: Ne pissez pas sur la poignée de la pompe !                
Abbreviations / Acronyms ---> http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=51866.0;topicseen

Offline T-Man

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2021, 06:59:35 PM »
And be advised, there are TWO places that you adjust a scope with an AO - the Objective itself (the AO part) and the eyepiece.   
You typically adjust the eyepiece to get a crisp, clear image of the reticle.  Take your time doing it, by holding the scope up to a gray sky and quickly glancing at the reticle and then looking away.  If it's not clear at first glance, make an adjustment.  Keep working at it until you get it dialed in.  If you stare at the reticle for more than a second or two your eye will lie to you and you will think it's focused properly.  It must be focused perfectly upon that first glance.
After the reticle is dialed in, youu adjust the Objective to get the target in focus and to eliminate parallax.  To determine if parallax has been properly eliminated, move your head slightly from side to side while looking through the scope with the reticle on the target.  If the bullseye appears to move from side to side behind the reticle, parallax is still there. Keep adjusting the Objective until the crosshairs appear to remain still on the face of the target.  Rarely do I find that the distances noted on the Objective correspond exactly to the distance to the target - those numbers will get you with a couple of yards, but I most always need to fine tune things to completely eliminate parallax.
If you already knew all this, please forgive me.
  • USA, NC,  Wilson

Offline Bayman

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2021, 07:17:48 PM »
The Vantage is about on par with Nikons cheapest glass. Which is about the same price point. The cheapest Leupold will be clearer. They are also about three or four times the cost of a Vantage.

T-man's describes focusing a scope perfectly. Following his instructions if you are still unhappy with the Vantage, return it and spend more money. The Vantage is about the quality of glass to expect at its price point.

As Bicycleman says, with a PCP you can use any type of scope you want. If you're target shooting you'll probably want a scope with AO or side focus that comes down to your minimal range. Otherwise close targets will be out of focus at higher magnifications.

Good luck
Ron
  • USA,
Airmax 2-7x32 AO. 
P1- 0.20 now .177

Offline Bayman

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2021, 07:20:17 PM »
And be advised, there are TWO places that you adjust a scope with an AO - the Objective itself (the AO part) and the eyepiece.   
You typically adjust the eyepiece to get a crisp, clear image of the reticle.  Take your time doing it, by holding the scope up to a gray sky and quickly glancing at the reticle and then looking away.  If it's not clear at first glance, make an adjustment.  Keep working at it until you get it dialed in.  If you stare at the reticle for more than a second or two your eye will lie to you and you will think it's focused properly.  It must be focused perfectly upon that first glance.
After the reticle is dialed in, youu adjust the Objective to get the target in focus and to eliminate parallax.  To determine if parallax has been properly eliminated, move your head slightly from side to side while looking through the scope with the reticle on the target.  If the bullseye appears to move from side to side behind the reticle, parallax is still there. Keep adjusting the Objective until the crosshairs appear to remain still on the face of the target.  Rarely do I find that the distances noted on the Objective correspond exactly to the distance to the target - those numbers will get you with a couple of yards, but I most always need to fine tune things to completely eliminate parallax.
This is EXCELLENT and should be a "Sticky"
Well done explaining a difficult to explain process.
  • USA,
Airmax 2-7x32 AO. 
P1- 0.20 now .177

Offline cpool

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #7 on: August 03, 2021, 07:27:39 PM »
Thanks always looking to learn. And thank you for not making fun of me
  • Arkansas
Rws 34 177
Benjamin discovery 22
Hw 50.177

Offline cpool

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #8 on: August 03, 2021, 07:29:17 PM »
Chuck, remember that it doesn't have to be an air rifle scope for your Discovery rifle.  The Leupold or Nikon would be safe on the Discovery.
[/quote
Something is going on with the gun and not found it yet
  • Arkansas
Rws 34 177
Benjamin discovery 22
Hw 50.177

Offline A moron

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #9 on: August 03, 2021, 07:37:31 PM »
You could risk sending it in .  You may get aore satisfactory scope back.     True it may not be the clearest glass, but ? ? ?....

Surely the replacement can't be worse, can it?
  • Florida (aka lower Alabama) usa

Offline T-Man

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #10 on: August 04, 2021, 01:28:59 PM »
This is EXCELLENT and should be a "Sticky"
Well done explaining a difficult to explain process.
Well thank you, sir.  😊
I'm both an NRA and 4-H certified rifle instructor, as well as a Service Rifle competitor, so I've had a little bit of experience teaching this stuff. 👍
  • USA, NC,  Wilson

Offline T-Man

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2021, 01:32:22 PM »
Thanks always looking to learn. And thank you for not making fun of me
The airgun community seems to be the most humble and helpful of all the shooting disciplines.  I'm new here myself too, and folks have indeed been helpful.
  • USA, NC,  Wilson