GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

Target Shooting Matches, Discussion & Events > Target Shooting Discussion Gate

Are paper targets difficult to shoot or its just me?

(1/9) > >>

tripiy:
I have been hitting the golf balls consistently 5 out of 4 times at ~20 meters before encountering couple of ricochets followed by extensive read up on hazards of shooting golf balls. So printed approximately 1.5" circular targets (thanks to Wayne52) on 2"x3" paper. Only got 5 out of the 12 shots on the paper, none of them landing in the target circle. So back to the golf ball just to ascertain the gun-scope zero and got it 3 times in 5 attempts.
Maybe this was discussed in one of the threads earlier, but couldn't find it, so any quick suggestions and remediation are welcome.
I'm certain that more practice will improve the hit rate on paper targets, so will keep at it.

lefteyeshot:
Like shooting Coke cans I want the hole in the "o". What guns are you shooting. I mostly shoot springers and I have a couple of gas rams. On occasion I shoot co2 guns. Only had one PCP, sold it.  Go to Walmart and get some targets. I like shooting shoot & see splatter targets because you get immediate feed back. Or any larger target as long as you can see the holes with out having to walk down. A golf ball at 20 yards you should hit that 5 out of 5. But you can't see where the misses went. With a larger paper target you see the hits but also where the misses went. Practice the artillery hold if you shoot springer. You can google that. I hold my springers so loose if I coughed I'd drop the gun. Not really but close to that.

Your goal is to have all 3 or 5 shots close together. (quarter size) Doesn't matter where just so they're close together. When you can do that consistently adjust the sights to your point of aim (POA). 

An old saying is: "aim small, miss small". I usually shoot at 25 yards. If I shoot at a 3 inch bulls eye my groups will be so so. If I shoot at a 1 inch bullseye the groups will get smaller. If I put a random pellet one in the target and aim at the pellet hole my groups will really be small. If you want a head shot aim at the eye ball. At 25 Yards with a good springer. An Air Hawk or Optimus or Beeman RS2 or Silent Cat the hole should be at least touching. Of corse you goning have a flyer now and then. Enjoy

superchikn:
Agreed.  Typically at 30 yds or 50 I put a blank piece of card stock, cardboard or a paper plate.  I shoot a hole and that is my aimpoint with the hope that that hole does not grow much.  sometimes I am successful and some times not, but my groups are always better than when using a 3" bullseye or other large target.

nced:

--- Quote from: pomp006 on October 27, 2020, 04:16:44 PM ---I have been hitting the golf balls consistently 5 out of 4 times at ~20 meters before encountering couple of ricochets followed by extensive read up on hazards of shooting golf balls. So printed approximately 1.5" circular targets (thanks to Wayne52) on 2"x3" paper. Only got 5 out of the 12 shots on the paper, none of them landing in the target circle. So back to the golf ball just to ascertain the gun-scope zero and got it 3 times in 5 attempts.
Maybe this was discussed in one of the threads earlier, but couldn't find it, so any quick suggestions and remediation are welcome.
I'm certain that more practice will improve the hit rate on paper targets, so will keep at it.

--- End quote ---
I made up some multiple bull targets using CAD software and I use them to practice my "bucket and sticks" shooting form with my HW break barrels.

The idea is to simply "break the circle" shooting one pellet per bull at upstairs @18 yards "hunter class field target style" (sitting on a bucket resting the gun on cross sticks) ............

Funny thing is that I found when shooting groups is that my groups are normally tighter if I aim at the numbers above the bulls vs trying to aim at the center of the larger "open circles"........

I made up a couple different targets so prove the "aim small/miss small". Targets with small "aimimg bull" inside larger bull............

I haven't shot any of the "aiming spot bull targets" yet but will when I get the urge.

I also found that targets with a printed diamond are easier to align a crosshair to the precise center for shooting groups. Also, aiming "off the point of impact" preserves the "aiming point" so it doesn't get "shot away" like this.........

Anywhoo.......when aiming at larger bulls I believe that I have a personal difficulty of determining the exact center of an open circle so the aim isn't as fine as when I aim at a smaller "block number".

maraudinglizard:
I try to use different targets so I don't get in a rut of shooting the same thing over and over, it gets boring after a while. Here are some free printable targets to try. If you still want to shoot golf balls, get the plastic practice ones, they are brightly colored and much safer than the real ones.

http://www.airgunsmith.com/target/free_targets.htm

http://targetz.com/

http://printtargets.net/   (make your own and print)

http://www.impactdatabooks.com/Target_Downloads_s/78.htm

http://www.arld1.com/images/swfs/fieldtarget2b.swf

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version