Saber Tactical
New England Airgun
Umarex Airguns
Contact us
Utah Airguns
SEKHMET Airgun Accessories
Freedom Gun Targets
Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop

Author Topic: LabRadar and Signal-to-Noise Ratio  (Read 1472 times))

Offline KarlH

• Shooter
  • yes
Re: LabRadar and Signal-to-Noise Ratio
« Reply #60 on: September 05, 2021, 11:04:41 AM »
I forgot to add, on caliber, in my situation/environment, I shoot my 17hmr and it tracks them just fine.  Maybe 1 yard shorter on average for good data, but it is for all intents and purposes in my personal shooting environment no different than tracking a 44 magnum.  I'm sure if I had a better range to shoot on there would be noticeable differences, but muzzle to 20 yards no difference for me from 17 cal to 45 cal.  In my environment anything I track over 20 yards data is questionable, doesn't matter that it can track 22's out to 100 yards, the data is horrible and useless.  In your shooting environment you have to find out what that limit is.
  • york sc

Offline rsterne

• Member 2000+fps Club
  • Bob and Lloyd
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • GTA Forums Person of the Year 2017
« Reply #61 on: September 05, 2021, 12:29:11 PM »
The last 2 posts address one of the problems we airgunners face, and with slugs as well, not just with pellets.... The Drag Models we use (GA or G1) do not match our projectiles very well, which is why the BC varies with velocity.... If they were a perfect match, it would not, the BC would remain the same, regardless of MV....

I had great ideas of shooting tens of thousands of pellets and slugs, using the LabRadar to track them, changing the velocity (or range), repeating, and the "stitching" the data together to find those elusive drag models.... I thought that once I retired I would have lots of time, drive and energy to do that.... Unfortunately that has not been the case, and I seem to have less time to devote to airguns, rather than more.... Add to that the LabRadar being fussy in terms of background interference, I haven't even begun my goal, let alone achieved it....  :'( :-[

Bob
  • Coalmont, BC, Canada
Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
Airsenal:
1750 CO2 Carbine, .177 Uber-Pumper, .22 Uber-Carbine, .25 Discovery, 2260 PCP 8-shot Carbine, 2260 HPA (37 FPE), 2560 HPA (52 FPE), XS-60c HPA in .30 cal (90 FPE), .22 cal QB79 HPA, Disco Doubles in .22, .25 & .30 cal, "Hayabusa" Custom PCP Project (Mk.I is .22 & .25 cal regulated; Mk.II is .224, .257, 7mm, .308 & .357; Mk.III is .410 shotgun and .458 cal), .257 "Monocoque" Benchrest PCP, .172/6mm Regulated PCP and .224/.257 Unregulated, Three regulated BRods in .25 cal (70 FPE), .30 cal (100 FPE) & .35 cal (145 FPE), .257 Condor (180 FPE).

Offline JungleShooter

• How ironic 🤦🏼‍♂️: All my life I had to be a jack-of-all-trades. And now since getting into airgunning all of a sudden they call me an
  • Expert
  • There is a bug. It's called AG. It bit me! Bad.
« Reply #62 on: September 07, 2021, 01:11:05 AM »
Bob,

life sometimes goes a bit different than expected. I'm sorry. Please, hang in there, and keep shooting as long as you can!
And keep writing!!! 😊

🔹As I take care of ageing parents I'm wondering about my own age and what will come of my airgun obsession when I'll get there.... 🤔 

Will I be able to stalk quarry? Or at least walk at all?
Will I be able to spot quarry? Or see at least a big bull's-eye?
Will I be able to lighty squeeze a trigger? Or at least hold a spoon?

I trust my God has a plan for my last years and even though guns in heaven seem a somewhat screwed-up interpretation of it I'm sure it's gonna be even better than hitting PD's at 300 yards with an M3 shooting 70 grain BBT's...! 😄 

🔹About the LabRadar: Karl, I appreciate you for clarifying the issues, and the method that I would need to use to do BC / drag model testing.

Now, I do take issue with one of the things you said at the end of your detailed post: 😟 
That the "LabRadar is the best thing since the invention of sliced bread."
➔ Wow, that's a really really unhelpful phrase to use with me as I'm trying to be responsible with my finances...! 🤣

Seriously, kidding aside, Karl, thanks. 👍🏼 
I admit to have been looking in the classifieds for a second optical chrono at a good price, but they are rarer than rain in the desert region where I live....

Matthias

• Lima, PERU