Thank you to our advertisers!

Author Topic: Crosman Summit Ranger NP2 Rifle (22Cal) - A Forest Hunters Evaluation  (Read 33392 times))

Offline Wolfer

• Expert
  • yes
Re: Crosman Summit Ranger NP2 Rifle (22Cal) - A Forest Hunters Evaluation
« Reply #220 on: May 24, 2020, 09:04:08 PM »
*(&^ Dan one more mad at me is no big deal. My granddaughters still love me. Still think you should get one. I got a real good deal on mine so I could not pass it up. Eighty two bucks out the door.      Mike
  • Dos Palos CA.

Offline superchikn

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #221 on: May 25, 2020, 12:35:13 AM »
Actually mine had a pretty good bark.  I grabbed Crosman threaded baffle and a length of CF tube, mad a barrel spacer and it made a huge difference.  I know, I know, piston guns are not supposed to have a muzzle report unless going trans-sonic, detonating, or whatever else may cause it but mine sure made noise.  The shot cycle is a nice smooth solid thunk and not too loud. 

To make sure I will shoot without my half shroud setup to see if it was just during break-in but I don't think so.  I had cleaned the barrel.
Well, I pulled the half shroud and put 8 or 10  16 gr AA domes through the barrel.  Yup, louder than it should be.  720-740 fps.
Ran some Barracudas and Monsters through it and got much quieter.  18 grs and not quite as lout as the 16s.  Is 720-740 trans sonic?  I'm confused.
  • Schwenksville Pa.

Offline superchikn

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #222 on: May 25, 2020, 12:38:10 AM »
*(&^ Dan one more mad at me is no big deal. My granddaughters still love me. Still think you should get one. I got a real good deal on mine so I could not pass it up. Eighty two bucks out the door.      Mike
I concur Dan, mine was $69 to the door.  AMAZING gun under when $100.
  • Schwenksville Pa.

Offline Lt. Dan

• N.U.A.H. Member
  • GTA Senior Contributor
    • Gaither Vocal Band - Sinner Saved by Grace
« Reply #223 on: May 25, 2020, 07:17:07 AM »
I kinda of half way looked around to try to find one, but I couldn't locate one below $99.99.
Well, maybe it wasn't meant for me to have one. I remember a while back seeing these cheap but decided against it. I have a Crosman Genesis NP1 .22  and a Benjamin Prowler NP1 .22 (in a Vantage stock).  My Benjamin Prowler is super accurate.
  • USA, Mississippi,  Jones County
Words to Live By:  Before You Pray - Believe;  Before You Speak - Listen;  Before You Spend - Earn;  Before You Write - Think;  Before You Quit - Try;  Before You Die - Live

Offline mikeyb

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #224 on: May 25, 2020, 08:49:28 AM »
I kinda of half way looked around to try to find one, but I couldn't locate one below $99.99.
Well, maybe it wasn't meant for me to have one. I remember a while back seeing these cheap but decided against it. I have a Crosman Genesis NP1 .22  and a Benjamin Prowler NP1 .22 (in a Vantage stock).  My Benjamin Prowler is super accurate.

IMO the Summit Ranger (excellent open sights) is very similar to my Benjamin Prowler (no open sights) and Crosman Shockwave (good open sights). Stocks are different of course, but they all fit and feel good to shoot. Similar power plants, shot cycle, and accuracy. My chronograph indicates the Summit Ranger is launching pellets with a little more (1 or 2) fpe, but I don't feel much difference between the NP1 and NP2 gas springs.

Maybe the NP2 "feels" a little easier to cock? That could be a false perception and I'd need to set up some sort of cocking force scale to verify. Since cocking force is not on my list of important attributes (yet), that won't happen anytime soon. I'm going to go against popular opinion on the CBT because I actually prefer the older trigger (with polish and a longer screw) over the new CBT trigger (modified or not).

You really are not missing out on anything special. Mine was an IMPULSE purchase just because Midway had them on sale last year for ~$75. That's a little more than what I paid for each of my other Crosman/Benjamin rifles in that family (Fire, F4, Prowler, Shockwave, Vantage, etc.).  I'd recommend it at that price or lower if you don't already have 1 (or 5  ;) ) similar Crosman/Benjamin rifles.

• USA, NY, Rochester
Too many toys & not enough play time!

Offline Lt. Dan

• N.U.A.H. Member
  • GTA Senior Contributor
    • Gaither Vocal Band - Sinner Saved by Grace
« Reply #225 on: May 25, 2020, 09:57:01 AM »

IMO the Summit Ranger (excellent open sights) is very similar to my Benjamin Prowler (no open sights) and Crosman Shockwave (good open sights). Stocks are different of course, but they all fit and feel good to shoot. Similar power plants, shot cycle, and accuracy. My chronograph indicates the Summit Ranger is launching pellets with a little more (1 or 2) fpe, but I don't feel much difference between the NP1 and NP2 gas springs.

Maybe the NP2 "feels" a little easier to cock? That could be a false perception and I'd need to set up some sort of cocking force scale to verify. Since cocking force is not on my list of important attributes (yet), that won't happen anytime soon. I'm going to go against popular opinion on the CBT because I actually prefer the older trigger (with polish and a longer screw) over the new CBT trigger (modified or not).

You really are not missing out on anything special. Mine was an IMPULSE purchase just because Midway had them on sale last year for ~$75. That's a little more than what I paid for each of my other Crosman/Benjamin rifles in that family (Fire, F4, Prowler, Shockwave, Vantage, etc.).  I'd recommend it at that price or lower if you don't already have 1 (or 5  ;) ) similar Crosman/Benjamin rifles.
I decided last night that since I have my Prowler in a Vantage stock with the GRT-III trigger mod, all the sears polished to a mirror finish, along with 2k+ pellets it shoots a 3/8" to 1/2" at 20 yards. I'm not interested in getting another similar one at this time.  That itch had been scratched.

Thanks for verifying what I had thought.
Stay safe. Hope you and yours have avoided the effects of this pandemic.
Dan
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 10:16:24 AM by Lt. Dan »
  • USA, Mississippi,  Jones County
Words to Live By:  Before You Pray - Believe;  Before You Speak - Listen;  Before You Spend - Earn;  Before You Write - Think;  Before You Quit - Try;  Before You Die - Live

Offline Longbob

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #226 on: May 25, 2020, 11:13:15 AM »
My barrel had a lot of sideplay so I installed some brass washers which made a big difference.  I also stuffed a block of duct seal in the buttstock, put a lighter spring in the trigger, and found a pellet it likes better than most - jsb heavy .22. I can group maybe .3 to .4 inches ctc for 10 shots at 10m which is much better than I was getting before. I can get some lucky 3 or 5 shot groups that are practically one hole,  but I can't hold it together for 10 shots.
I read somewhere the barrel is threaded 1/2 unf and verified it's true. A can makes it much quieter for indoor shooting.
Have fun!

Where can I get a can for my SR like the one you have on yours, Dan?
  • United States, Lufkin, Texas
Crosman modded .22 Summit Ranger NP2 Gas Piston w/ Tasco 2.5-10x42AO & Geo LDC
Crosman modded .177 Optimus Spring Piston w/ Hatsan 3-9X40AO
Crosman modded 1322 Backpacker Multi Pump w/ Tasco 2-7X32AO & Geo LDC
Crosman modded 1377 Multi Pump w/ NcStar 2.5x30
Crosman modded 1322 Multi Pump w/ CP 2x20
Benjamin slightly modded 392 Multi Pump w/ Williams 5D-SH
Winchester modded multi pump .177 1977XS w/ Barska 4X32AO & Geo LDC
Beeman slightly modded P-17 Single Pump w/ RWS 1.7x20
Daisy modded 408 CO2 w/ Pinty reflex dot sight
Daisy 415 CO2
Daisy 426 CO2
Gamo P-23 CO2

Offline DanD

• Nod and smile.
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • A solid maybe
« Reply #227 on: May 29, 2020, 04:30:25 PM »
I read somewhere the barrel is threaded 1/2 unf and verified it's true. A can makes it much quieter for indoor shooting.
Have fun!

Hi Robert,
That particular can came with a used rifle, and the previous owner said the guy that sold them isn't making them anymore. You can find 1/2 unf cans on eBay, though.
  • Binghamton, NY

Offline Longbob

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
Daisy 415 CO2
Daisy 426 CO2
Gamo P-23 CO2

Offline Wolfer

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #229 on: June 04, 2020, 02:00:45 PM »
This gun was a GREAT, GREAT buy. Loving it open sighted.    Mike
  • Dos Palos CA.

Offline Wolfer

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #230 on: June 04, 2020, 02:05:57 PM »
The all steel open sights sure put all the plastic fiber optic sights to shame, no plastic on the German guns. This gun is going to get torture tested, will keep everyone updated.    Mike
  • Dos Palos CA.

Offline SteveP-52

• I just lurk, I'm no longer a
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #231 on: June 04, 2020, 02:10:19 PM »
My barrel had a lot of sideplay so I installed some brass washers which made a big difference.  I also stuffed a block of duct seal in the buttstock, put a lighter spring in the trigger, and found a pellet it likes better than most - jsb heavy .22. I can group maybe .3 to .4 inches ctc for 10 shots at 10m which is much better than I was getting before. I can get some lucky 3 or 5 shot groups that are practically one hole,  but I can't hold it together for 10 shots.
Have fun!

Send a PM to rocker1 and chat with him. Have a couple and not one bit disappointed, he does very nice work.
  • NY, USA

Offline Longbob

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #232 on: June 04, 2020, 02:41:06 PM »
Have fun!

Send a PM to rocker1 and chat with him. Have a couple and not one bit disappointed, he does very nice work.

Done. I sent him a PM.
Daisy 415 CO2
Daisy 426 CO2
Gamo P-23 CO2

Offline Wolfer

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #233 on: June 04, 2020, 08:30:49 PM »
These NP2 guns are also really easy to work on and maintain when and I been when needed. Really am liking this new cheap gun. Oh that's right I already said that.      Mike
  • Dos Palos CA.

Offline 35 shooter

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #234 on: June 27, 2020, 03:07:54 AM »
Finally got around to replacing the piston seal and ram in my Summit Ranger, which was losing power fast.
Finally got down to the low 720’s with 14.3 gr. Cphp.
This was my first attempt at fixing a break bbl. and I got a lot of help from several members here in a thread I had going on the crosman section here.... Thanks again guys!!!

To make a long story short, I changed the piston seal first and it went down to 715 FPS., so I knew the ram was bad at that point.
Replaced the ram and it avg. 758.6 FPS. for the first 5 shots.... about 5 FPS. faster than the original ram and the piston seal isn’t broken in yet. :D
The ‘new” ram crosman sent me was dated July 2018. The old one I took out was from 2017.

This has been a super accurate rifle with several different pellets so it feels really good to get it get it going right again.
Plus I got to learn my way around the internals of a break bbl. ;)
  • USA, MS, Collins

Offline 35 shooter

• Expert
  • yes
« Reply #235 on: June 28, 2020, 10:45:22 PM »
Forgot to add lol,

I had complained about a gritty, hard trigger before in this thread.
After taking the rifle apart and putting it back together to replace the piston seal and ram, the trigger is nice and smooth now even with the adjustment screw all the way down.
Had to have been some grit or something in the trigger housing that fell out.
So I guess I “ fixed” the trigger too 😂  :D

• USA, MS, Collins

Offline buddyb

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #236 on: October 01, 2020, 10:30:08 AM »
Just an update: I tried a couple of more different pellets and found the best one for me in this gun, the H&N 16.36 terminators.

Caliber    Pellet                   Wgt Grns     Vel/fps Avg 5 shots      Hi/Low       ES/SD       FPE
.22        H&N Terminator         16.36                775                  780/773        7/2       21.82

« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 10:41:10 AM by buddyb »
  • USA, Ohio
.22 Air Venturi Avenger

Offline uglymike

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #237 on: October 01, 2020, 12:16:27 PM »
Just an update: I tried a couple of more different pellets and found the best one for me in this gun, the H&N 16.36 terminators.

Caliber    Pellet                   Wgt Grns     Vel/fps Avg 5 shots      Hi/Low       ES/SD       FPE
.22        H&N Terminator         16.36                775                  780/773        7/2       21.82

Glad to see you're getting some use out of it, have you bloodied it yet?   8)
  • Nebraska
attitude
not aptitude
determines altitude

Offline buddyb

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #238 on: October 01, 2020, 01:43:34 PM »
Not yet this year Mike I haven't gone out yet, but I did last year.
« Last Edit: October 01, 2020, 01:46:39 PM by buddyb »
  • USA, Ohio
.22 Air Venturi Avenger

Offline Longbob

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #239 on: October 01, 2020, 03:35:07 PM »

Glad to see you're getting some use out of it, have you bloodied it yet?   8)

I just ordered one of Geo's 'Hi Performance' 1.2' diameter 7 ' 1/2-20 LDC's for my Summit Ranger.

I am real happy w/ the 'Hi Performance' 7' 'slim LDC' I got from Geo for my Crosman .22 Backpacker.

I haven't bloodied my SR yet either. I haven't finished w/ the 50 yard testing for it. 16 gr. AA's are looking real good so far. 18 gr. AA's were great at 25 yards; but, had too much drop at 50 yards for my liking.

My Backpacker is plenty bloodied though. *Grins*
Daisy 415 CO2