Thank you to our advertisers!

Author Topic: Leaning FT shooting and Building a 'Hamster' for Diana 34  (Read 3692 times))

Offline Fred J

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
Leaning FT shooting and Building a 'Hamster' for Diana 34
« on: June 25, 2016, 09:22:15 AM »
I am taking a break from plinking with m RWS 34 while I am recovering from back surgery. The day before my surgery, a friend of mine (Steve) came over to shoot paper targets and silhouette's at 30-41 yards. Great day to shoot: virtually calm. I did my all time best at 40 yards (5/16" group at 40 yards, see attached). Steve shot some great targets, too, with his Marauder. Ended the shooting session by shooting a silhouette with a 1/2" kill zone at 35 yards. Steve and I manage to hit the kill zone about half the time.

I'm hoping to get back to shooting next week. In about 6 weeks, I am going to give a try at field target shooting. I need to master the freestyle sitting position. I am hoping that the removal of the large bulge on my L5/S1 disk will give me more flexibility. Any good UTubes on FT positions would be appreciated!

In the meantime, I would like to build a Field Target  'hamster' for my D34 to raise the gun a couple of inches on my resting arm. I was thinking of using the rear action mounting screw as the mounting point for the hamster. This will accomplished by using a longer rear stock screw (1 1/2" longer than the stock screw), a 1" long spacer, and a 1/2" piece of 3"X4" walnut with a slot cut in the front to accommodate cocking.

Any thoughts on this? Thanks!

• Sturtevant, WI
Air Arms TX200 .177 Cal (Tinbaum Tune Kit)
Regulated Air Arms S500 .177 Cal
Benjamin Marauder .177 Cal (TSS and MDS Hammer)

Offline farmerjoe99

• N.U.A.H Marksman
  • GTA Senior Contributor
    • DiscosRUs
Re: Leaning FT shooting and Building a 'Hamster' for Diana 34
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2016, 09:31:58 AM »
Well here are a few of the Utube vids I found helpful:
I really enjoyed all of TeamWildTV's FT vids be here a a few:

• Alfred NY
Discos R Us Airgun Store:
http://discosrus.net/

TO FIND A LOCAL SHOOTING FRIEND
  CLICK HERE FOR THE GTA MEMBERS MAP  >>>  https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=962067

Offline chiro972b

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2016, 12:40:11 PM »
Get a harness from mac1. I simply cannot begin to get steady in the seated position without it. What about hunter class? The d34 is an ideal hunter piston gun and you can shoot off a bucket and sticks.
  • Raleigh, NC
My toys:
Mac1 USFT #218 .177
FX Royale 400 .22
Air Arms Pro-Sport .177 (Nitrocrusher tuned)
Air Arms TX200 HC .177 (Nitrocrusher tuned)
Air Arms S500 SL FAC .177
Beeman R9 .177
Beeman R7 .177
Benjamin Discovery .22
Umarex XBG
Winchester Model 11

Offline Gear_Junkie

• GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2016, 01:34:30 PM »
What about hunter class? The d34 is an ideal hunter piston gun and you can shoot off a bucket and sticks.

+1

Those WFTF guys look like pretzels when they are shooting!  However, I have also seen them steady as a rock.  I shoot HFT because I have a bad back, and it's a bit more comfortable.  I'm still sore at the end of the day, but not as sore as I would be if I was in the pretzel position all day.  Getting up from a bucket is also a lot easier on your back than getting up from the ground when switching lanes.  You might want to consider trying HFT first.  It's also a cheaper initial investment.  Just use a milk crate for a seat, and a cheap $30 pair of sticks (or make your own).

Good Luck!
  • Nevada City, CA
.177 RAW HM1000x & Ares BTR II 2.5-15x50
.177 Skyhawk & Ares BTR II 2.5-15x50
.22 Skyhawk & Ares BTR II 2.5-15x50
.177 HW50S & UTG 3-12x44