GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > American/U.S. Air Gun Gates

Benjamin 397 - Inconsistant Percision - Looking for suggestions

(1/1)

TC:
Need help with a new 397. Cleaned barrel out of black paint. Performance with 4 pumps using JSB Heavy of 535 FPS with 5 FPS SD. 4 out of 5 shots will create ragged holes at 10 or 15 yards and then one goes way off (can be over an inch off in any direction). Tried open sites, two different scopes, all with the same results. Tried 8 different pellets, but the JSB Heavy is extremely precise if you exclude the odd flier. When I manually push a pellet, it is very tight the first few inches then very very loose down to the loading port. Looking for ideas on what to check. Thank you in advance.

TennX:
My 2014 392 was doing the same thing...gurus told me to make sure all paint out of barrel....I cleaned it down to brass per them...on the money now using Crosman 14.3 primeres ...good luck

Frank in Fairfield:
TC,
Take the bolt out (very easy. Remove the plate on the left side of the receiver then remove the bolt screw) and puch a pellet from the breech to the muzzle.
You have a choked barrel.

Rob112o:
So when you first got the gun you cleaned the barrel? Like Frank pointed out, you been pushing something in from muzzle to breech. What exactly were you using to do the pushing? Let's hope you didn't mess up the rifling on the first couple inches at the muzzle with all that pushing. Remove the bolt and get a light and take a look at the rifling, see if you scratched the barrel with your pushing device.

TC:
A BIG SHOUT OUT... THANK YOU...
Dime shots groups at 20 yards with no fliers!!! Fired off three 10 shot groups just to make sure. 

TennX,
Key words "ALL paint". I made sure all of the paint was removed. There was a dot or two of paint a few inches in from the load side and it took numerous attempts to remove it. Would be nice if Crosman would plug the barrel ends before painting it.

Retatcdude,
Your are right. I could feel the friction increase at the end of barrel. Wasn't expecting a choked barrel on such a low priced rifle.

Rob112o,
Used wood dowel. The mistake I made was cleaning only one end of the barrel of black paint.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version