GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

Target Shooting Matches, Discussion & Events > Field Target Gates

Using A Bipod in Hunter Class

(1/3) > >>

TwiceHorn:
Hey, folks.  I'm relatively new to hunter class and using a bipod.  I shoot off a bum bag rather than a bucket.

In preparation for my shots, I "lean" the bipod (bogpod sb-2) against my left (forward facing) knee.  When actually shooting, I can either leave it against my knee or "free float" it.  I honestly don't see a whole lot of difference in the shots I make either way.

But, from a theoretical or form perspective, is it better to "decouple" the pod from the body?

Related question, does it make much difference whether the 'pod is vertical or has a forward or backward tilt?

Motorhead:
Any time you can gain an anchor point or angled point of contact/support your stability potential increases.
keep in mind tho ... that, as the ground you sit on becomes uneven or sloping that the position of your shooting aids/stick still allow it NOT having you need to radically change up your typical holds etc ... 

TwiceHorn:
Thanks, Scott, although I am not sure I am "reading" your answer correctly.  I believe you are saying, as long as I'm not twisting myself in knots to do it, it is better to have it against my knee?

On the one hand, it seems that if you are lightly or uncoupled from the pod, it takes a degree of freedom out of the gun/human shooting mechanism, whereas coupling yourself to the pod makes the pod more of the mechanism.

Also, it's not unique to using a 'pod, as it happened to me using plain sitting as well, but my "wobble" seems to have a distinct left to right horizontal component to it, like I have pushed myself too far to the left and natural positioning is correcting it, but repositioning doesn't fix it.  Any idea about that?

Scotchmo:
Twicehorn,

If your shooting a springer, let it float. Rigidity can make the aiming more precise. But it can screw up the shot cycle as the gun bucks against the anchor point.

For a springer, best to guide the gun, not keep it rigid.

Signed,
the other Scott.

Motorhead:

--- Quote from: TwiceHorn on August 11, 2017, 12:05:43 AM ---Thanks, Scott, although I am not sure I am "reading" your answer correctly.  I believe you are saying, as long as I'm not twisting myself in knots to do it, it is better to have it against my knee?

On the one hand, it seems that if you are lightly or uncoupled from the pod, it takes a degree of freedom out of the gun/human shooting mechanism, whereas coupling yourself to the pod makes the pod more of the mechanism.

Also, it's not unique to using a 'pod, as it happened to me using plain sitting as well, but my "wobble" seems to have a distinct left to right horizontal component to it, like I have pushed myself too far to the left and natural positioning is correcting it, but repositioning doesn't fix it.  Any idea about that?

--- End quote ---
In a nut shell ...
use the aids of support best you can, just be aware when the sitting in a lane becomes challenging you DON'T  find yourself stifled unable to find stability.  It is a good thing to have consistency is how we sit and support our self, just have enough tricks of learned positioning to work threw a lanes challenging position as required.
We ALL find our self really out of our comfort zone time to time, trick is the have been in a like position before and have at least an idea how to best deal with it.  IMO this comes from having shot differing classes somewhat & positions that excel or really S uck ... some experience pays dividends here. 

Would like to think we all learn something every match we're in, know i do.  While we all go about applying  the learned experiences differently in the end actually using it to our advantage takes a bit of mental work.

Ugg  :P
Scott

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version