GatewayToAirGuns.org    Donation

All Springer/NP/PCP Air Gun Discussion General > 3D printing and files

Three Maxim inspired short, fat LDCs: .177 / .22 / .25

(1/27) > >>

subscriber:
This family of short LDCs was inspired by Maxim's patented designs from 1909.  My .22 version was proven very effective in the thread "Taming the bark of an Avenger".  See images below.

The designs are scaled by caliber, with the .177 version being the smallest.  The .22 version stretches the diameter proportional to the caliber.  The .25 version is scaled on diameter and length.  All have 1/2 20 UNF threads tuned for 3D printing.  All have tapering wall thickness to make them lighter, while having sufficient strength to resist air pressure and bending under gravity (without living in a metal can).

The designs have permanent supports inside, that while occupying some volume do not interfere with the air flow - see last image.  The parts need to be printed standing on their front ends, with the threads pointing up away from the platen.

This wetransfer link expires on 13 November:
 https://wetransfer.com/downloads/862d5dfac4e7c9150073df39dfec0e2c20221107013017/1854d65b59a8fd97cbdf9320ee5433ba20221107013039/9f9c31?trk=TRN_TDL_01&utm_campaign=TRN_TDL_01&utm_medium=email&utm_source=sendgrid 

So, if you feel inspired, download the STL files before the 13th.  I have grouped all three designs in one zipped folder.  If you have no interest in some of the 3 parts, just delete them and the zipped folder, after you have the version/s you want.

My suggestion is to slice the parts such that the walls are 3 or four layers thick, with 50% infill selected.  Or 100%, if you prefer.  Turn supports off in the slicer. 

The .177 version is just over 4" and just over 2" in OD.  The other two versions are scaled up from that.

WobblyHand:
Thanks for posting this!  I have a printer coming in this week.  Maybe by next week I will try one of your designs.  I'll need to make an adapter, but I think I will machine it on my lathe. 

What CAD program did you do the design in?  I took a quick look at the stl files and I am still trying to wrap my head around the basic shapes in the design.  I recently learned FreeCAD (this January) and am puzzling on how you did the basic model.

jackssmirkingrevenge:
Nicely done!

You've probably considered this but I wonder if it would make sense to have threaded modules that would allow the user to customize the length, something like this:

SILENT SQUIRREL:
Now that's incentive to learn how to print!

subscriber:
Bruce,

I used the basic version of Solidworks 2015, but you one could create those shapes with any version or Solidworks, and probably most 3D CAD programs.

The internal toroidal shapes were created by rotating a profile to add material.  See sketch profile rotated around green bore axis line below.  The longitudinal ribs were added by the common CAD process of extrusion.   The circumferential ribs were added by rotating a profile that defines their dimensions.  This was done in several steps.

There are tutorials on youtube for all CAD packages.   The principles design are the same for all of them, although the instructions differ.   Once you grasp the basics it is actually not difficult.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version