Saber Tactical
New England Airgun
Umarex Airguns
Contact us
Utah Airguns
SEKHMET Airgun Accessories
Freedom Gun Targets
Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop

Author Topic: Abbreviations / Acronyms  (Read 39616 times))

Offline lizzie

• Administrator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
Re: Abbreviations / Acronyms
« Reply #160 on: October 12, 2020, 11:44:03 PM »
Since I have worked in medical for close to my entire adult life, I favor abbreviations. They save time, and to me, are more pleasant to my eyes and to my mind, than most written out technical words.....DNA (mentioned earlier) and RNA are great examples. There is a pretty standard list that applies to shooting, fps and MOA being just a couple of them, and I don't find it unnecessarily difficult to become comfortable with reading and understanding them.
  • USA, TX, DFW
"Every morning in Africa, a Gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a Lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest Gazelle or it will starve to death. It doesn't matter whether you are a Lion or a Gazelle... when the sun comes up, you'd better be running." -anonymous

Offline Rabbit\Squirrel Killer

• Dangerous Dan/Poppa (poppa wheelie)
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #161 on: October 13, 2020, 12:45:19 AM »
Since I have worked in medical for close to my entire adult life, I favor abbreviations. They save time, and to me, are more pleasant to my eyes and to my mind, than most written out technical words.....DNA (mentioned earlier) and RNA are great examples. There is a pretty standard list that applies to shooting, fps and MOA being just a couple of them, and I don't find it unnecessarily difficult to become comfortable with reading and understanding them.

IDME, except when people make up their own.  ;)  ;)
  • SO. CA, USA
Rabbit\Squirrel Killer :^)>
Crosman's, Benjamin's, Sheridan's  and too many more brands and guns to list, my "collection" is a cry for HELP..... ;) LOL

Offline lizzie

• Administrator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #162 on: October 13, 2020, 08:36:46 AM »
Agreed Dan....and when someone does that, it's unlikely that I will bother to read their posts.
  • USA, TX, DFW
"Every morning in Africa, a Gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be killed. Every morning a Lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest Gazelle or it will starve to death. It doesn't matter whether you are a Lion or a Gazelle... when the sun comes up, you'd better be running." -anonymous

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #163 on: October 13, 2020, 03:50:09 PM »
Agreed Dan....and when someone does that, it's unlikely that I will bother to read their posts.

For those that can't figure out "IDME" it is be cause I made it up on the fly and intentionally did the ATM like repeat too for humors sake. LOL

"IDME" = I don't mind except"  ;D

This is the first time I think that I ever made up an abbreviation, and I don't plan on doing it in the future. (except my answer to the cryptic text message guy to make a point that I couldn't understand him)
  The practice of making up abbreviations on the fly almost ensures misunderstandings.

• SO. CA, USA
Crosman's, Benjamin's, Sheridan's  and too many more brands and guns to list, my "collection" is a cry for HELP..... ;) LOL

Offline 7624452

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • Konservativ
« Reply #164 on: November 21, 2020, 07:07:59 PM »

supercalifragilisticexpialidocious = SCFLED

;D

• Hölle auf Erden
(Sorry, but you are not allowed to access the gallery)

Offline JungleShooter

• How ironic 🤦🏼‍♂️: All my life I had to be a jack-of-all-trades. And now since getting into airgunning all of a sudden they call me an
  • Expert
  • There is a bug. It's called AG. It bit me! Bad.
« Reply #165 on: November 21, 2020, 11:23:56 PM »
A Shorthand for Writing Projectile DiametersWhen Keeping Records of How Each Diameter Performed

Testing pellets (.22):  JSB Domes 15.89gr (and their rebranded twins) come in 4 diameters (head sizes) — so, how do I keep it short when noting down which diameter produced which group?  H&N Baracuda Match and H&N Field Target Trophy — come each in 3 diameters. RWS SuperField comes in 2 diameters.

Testing Slugs — there is only 1 diameter from some manufacturers (FX, AVS), there are 2 diameters from most others (H&N, JSB, Griffin), and NielsenSpecialtyAmmo.com alone offers us 5 diameters.  
Again, how can I keep my notes short, and the entries in my ballistic calculator short as well?

➔ So, for myself I came up with an abbreviation system for projectile diameters to keep it short: 

⚠️ [Cell phone users — please turn your screen to landscape, otherwise the width of the table will jumble up the data....]

🔴 HEAD SIZES / DIAMETERS 🔴

🔶Abbreviations used in the Head Size Table below: 🔶

ctv = cvt mm  =  converted inches into mm 
in  =  size in inches
mm  =  size in mm 
ctv = cvt in  =  converted mm into inches 
abbr  =  suggested abbreviations, based on last digit of the metric size with H=head size   
abbr2 = alt abbr  =  alternative abbreviations, based on the last digit of the metric size   
imp abbr  =  imperial abbreviations   

🔴 Diameters/ Head  Sizes and Convenient Abbreviations: 🔴

cvt:        5.474   5.486   5.50   5.512   5.525   5.537   5.54  ——  5.563
in:         .2155   .216     .2165  .217     .2175    .218   .2185  ——   .219mm:  5.48     5.49     5.50    5.51     5.52    5.53    5.54   5.55   5.56
cvt:  .2157   .2161  .2165  .2169  .2173  .2177  .2181  .2185  .2189
abbr:  H8      H9        H0        H1      H2        H3       H4        H5       H6    😊👍🏼
abbr2:  ('8 )    ('9)       ('0)       ('1)      ('2)       ('3)      ('4)      ('5)      ('6)  ;)
imp abbr:  I did not find a good way to abbreviate the imperial size...! 😟   

Maybe this helps someone! 👍🏼

Matthias
« Last Edit: November 21, 2020, 11:31:44 PM by JungleShooter »
  • Lima, PERU

Offline JungleShooter

• How ironic 🤦🏼‍♂️: All my life I had to be a jack-of-all-trades. And now since getting into airgunning all of a sudden they call me an
  • Expert
« Reply #166 on: November 22, 2020, 12:12:34 PM »
Sometime this year the coding of the GTA internet pages must have gotten messed up — because if I press ENTER to start a new line/ a new paragraph, I HAVE TO PUT A SPACE at the end of the previous line.
➔ Otherwise the page overrides my explicit wishes and adds line 2 to line 1 — no new paragraph — and so it messes up my post.... 🤦🏻‍♂️

Well, and with the less-than-helpful editing limit of 20 minutes for a post.... 🤦🏻‍♂️

➔ So, here's the table of abbreviations again. 

🔴 HEAD SIZES / DIAMETERS 🔴
⚠️ [Cell phone users — please turn your screen to landscape.]
🔶Abbreviations used in the Head Size Table below: 🔶

ctv = cvt mm  =  converted inches into mm 
in  =  size in inches
mm  =  size in mm 
ctv = cvt in  =  converted mm into inches 
abbr  =  suggested abbreviations, based on last digit of the metric size with H=head size   
abbr2 = alt abbr  =  alternative abbreviations, based on the last digit of the metric size   
imp abbr  =  imperial abbreviations   

🔴 Diameters/ Head  Sizes and Convenient Abbreviations: 🔴

cvt:        5.474    5.486   5.50    5.512   5.525    5.537   5.54    ——   5.563 
in:         .2155    .216     .2165   .217     .2175    .218    .2185   ——    .219 
mm:      5.48      5.49     5.50     5.51      5.52     5.53     5.54    5.55    5.56
cvt:       .2157    .2161  .2165   .2169  .2173   .2177    .2181  .2185  .2189
abbr:      H8        H9       H0         H1       H2        H3        H4        H5       H6    😊👍🏼 
abbr2:   ('8 )       ('9)       ('0)        ('1)       ('2)        ('3)       ('4)       ('5)      ('6)  ;) 
imp abbr:  I did not find a good way to abbreviate the imperial size

Matthias
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 12:23:56 PM by JungleShooter »
  • Lima, PERU

Offline JungleShooter

• Expert
« Reply #167 on: November 22, 2020, 12:14:55 PM »
[delete]
  • Lima, PERU

Offline Tater

• GTA Moderator
  • GTA Senior Contributor
  • Insert creative saying here
« Reply #168 on: November 22, 2020, 01:18:30 PM »
Sometime this year the coding of the GTA internet pages must have gotten messed up — because if I press ENTER to start a new line/ a new paragraph, I HAVE TO PUT A SPACE at the end of the previous line.
➔ Otherwise the page overrides my explicit wishes and adds line 2 to line 1 — no new paragraph — and so it messes up my post.... 🤦🏻‍♂️

I've noticed this happening too. I have to manually double-space with the "enter" button and leave and extra space.Thought it was just something on my end.
  • NW suburbs of Chicago
Hammerli Pneuma Elite 10 .177, DonnyFL Sumo ldc
.22 Disco/Maximus mix, Rocker1 ldc
Gamo Hornet .177
1377, steel breech, TKO, 12" barrel, R. Arms Innovations AR stock

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #169 on: November 22, 2020, 01:20:38 PM »

I've noticed this happening too. I have to manually double-space with the "enter" button and leave and extra space.Thought it was just something on my end.

I noticed that too! Maybe we should all just leave out all punctuation too, to save space?

NO PLEASE, NOOOOOO!
« Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 01:22:57 PM by Rabbit\Squirrel Killer »
  • SO. CA, USA

Offline Bicycleman

• Just another
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #170 on: August 13, 2021, 09:47:43 AM »
Over the past several months, I have noticed that Acronyms are being used less and less.
Must be a Pandemic thing!  I am OKAY with fewer abbreviations and acronyms.  But the Pandemic - it can go to he!!.
  • USA - Tennessee  --  Murfreesboro
Murfreesboro, Tennessee - Was Louisiana
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went. Will Rogers.
Passer par la porte arrière - D. L. Menard                    
Abbreviations / Acronyms ---> http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=51866.0;topicseen
Sorry, Ms Nancy Green - You have been canceled!

Offline JungleShooter

• Expert
« Reply #171 on: August 13, 2021, 11:46:50 AM »
Over the past several months, I have noticed that Acronyms are being used less and less.
Must be a Pandemic thing!  I am OKAY with fewer abbreviations and acronyms.  But the Pandemic - it can go to he!!.

So, Mike, you're OKAY with that?  —  OK. 👍🏼

I've gotten the vacc. on Aug. 2, so the RONA doesn't do anything to my abbr./acro's use anymore.

On the conrary, my use of abbr. is back up to max., just as if the pandmc. never happened! 😊

So is my AG shopping! A GTA member just fedex'd me a used PCP, with 2 BSA bbls. in .177 and .22 cal. The reg. needs replacing, and for my backyard I'll need a mod. It came with 2 hi-cap. mags. 👍🏼

Bought a N/V scope, too. Mag. range is a little low, just 3-9x, but the FoV is huge, 40ft at min. This also gives me a large DoF, great for ratting where they change range quickly. Min. parlx. is 8y, perfect. The ret is a moa SFP, calib. at 10x. Via Wifi I can connect to an app on my phone to watch my kills in slo-mo.

⚠️ Note: The mfctr. of abbr. will be rolling out their new post-pandmc. line of acro's and abbr's.

ROFL 😄

Matthias

• Lima, PERU

Offline Bicycleman

• Just another
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #172 on: August 13, 2021, 12:27:56 PM »
Matthias, when I first joined this Forum, I realized that it was, at that time, a group of folks that used many abbreviations and acronyms that I didn't know.  So, I spend much time stumbling around in posts trying do decipher the meaning of what was being printed.  And I noticed that some abbreviations and acronyms were used over and over.  So I started making a list of those I knew.  I also asked for the meaning of those I did not know.  Eventually, I published that list on this forum a little over four months after joining up.  It has been added to many times by me and other members of this Forum. 
At the bottom of the list, there are a couple of statements that most members have adhered to.  Others simply did whatever they wanted to do.  Many were reprimanded by the Moderators.  Also, some no longer visit this Forum for a variety of reasons.
I don't look up to those who never use abbreviations and acronyms.  And I don't look down on those who use them.  It is what is.  In fact, I use them occasionally but not frequently. 
Sadly, the list has not been edited/added to for a long time.  That was a personal decision based on the way the Forum has evolved.  At one point, it was very easy to edit/add to  the list by using the Modify feature found on your post.  The 'Modify' stayed on the individual posts at that time.  The Modify feature has since been placed on a timer.  What that means is that one has a limited amount of time during which to EDIT what she/he posted.  After the limited amount of time has expired, the post is 'locked'.  The post can later be edited but only by a moderator or administrator.  Those ladies and gentlemen are busy people that have lives to live without being burdened by my whims and wishes.  The list is still useful to some but static.
Thank you for reading this thread. 
**[Oh, I forgot to mention that the entire list is shown in the very first post of the thread.]
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went. Will Rogers.
Abbreviations / Acronyms ---> http://www.gatewaytoairguns.org/GTA/index.php?topic=51866.0;topicseen

Offline JungleShooter

• Expert
« Reply #173 on: August 13, 2021, 02:15:07 PM »
Mike,

I probably would have done an acronym list when I joined some years ago — had YOU not already done so! 😊 VERY GOOD move on your part, Mike. 👍🏼

I lament very much the LIMITED TIME to edit my posts. I frequently have additions and improvements to make, but I'm sad that we all have to suffer because of the #!¥oπ§! of some people.... 😟 

My practice  is to use the full term once — with the abbreviation (abbr.) in parentheses. After that just the abbr.
I want to communicate with clarity more than I want to communicate with brevity

Keep up the good work, Mike!

Matthias 😊
  • Lima, PERU

Offline Bicycleman

• Just another
  • GTA Senior Contributor
« Reply #174 on: August 13, 2021, 04:34:25 PM »
Matthias, thank you for the compliments.  They are greatly appreciated.

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #175 on: August 13, 2021, 05:26:31 PM »

I lament very much the LIMITED TIME to edit my posts. I frequently have additions and improvements to make, but I'm sad that we all have to suffer because of the #!¥oπ§! of some people.... 😟 

Matthias 😊

Sometimes I notice mistakes I made or have new details that would be good to change or add later, but I miss the stuff that was deleted on forum exit too. I think it is a good idea to have posts become "forum property" as a protection of content for all. I wish the edit time was a little longer for those times I notice that I typed the wrong word, or not what I intended somehow. I have read some of my older posts that had me questioning what I was trying to communicate, that's scary, but also lets me know my brain recovery from my subarachnoid hemorrhage has been progressing! At first I think I only made sense to myself for a couple of weeks. I couldn't remember how to spell very simple short words for a while. My thoughts and speech areas of the brain were slightly disconnected, at least that is the way I would explain it. 
  • SO. CA, USA