Saber Tactical
New England Airgun
Umarex Airguns
Contact us
Utah Airguns
SEKHMET Airgun Accessories
Freedom Gun Targets
Evanix Airguns at Airgun Pro Shop

Author Topic: Cartridge shells for Umarex Legends rifle and Colt SAA.  (Read 499 times))

Online subscriber

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
Re: Cartridge shells for Umarex Legends rifle and Colt SAA.
« Reply #20 on: August 31, 2021, 05:22:10 AM »
Anders,

I don't see any sketch.  Did you post one? 

Sent you an email via GTA.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2021, 05:25:32 AM by subscriber »
  • USA

Offline Beachman

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2021, 06:19:37 AM »
My previous post should be;

F.Y.I.
The smooth bore pistols can shoot BB's OR pellets.
The rifled barreled pistols shoot only pellets.

Hunter

Yes Hunter, that is of course true. Is it a smoothbore Colt you have? Have you compared precision with pellets versus BB's for this gun? And which barrel length do you have?

Me and another guy in Sweden's largest airgunning forum, we are beginning to wonder if there really is a point putting up the extra money for rifled replica revolvers? I believe the Gletcher Nagant also is (was?) offered rifled or smooth. For the pistol replicas, it's completely pointless. The shoot like &^^& anyway, in my experience.

Personally I have the rifled 7,5" Colt SAA, and the smoothbore Remington 1875. They have very similar bore length. So far, I have only used pellets in both, since the very point to the invention of the pellet shape, is to give a more stable trajectory. Which it is well proven, it does - in "serious" guns. But after all, these replicas are about playing around, hitting cans and such, not competing and counting point results, punching paper.

However, now that everyone agrees the Cowboy Rifle performs equally well precisionwise, using either type of ammunition, the discussion on the revolvers becomes even more interesting.

I plan to do some serious spread tests on paper, comparing pellets and BB's in either gun. I actually plan to test copper (they are relatively very SOFT) plated lead BB's ("Smart BB's") in the rifled Colt as well. Just for testing. That won't damage the rifling.

And after all, rifling was used in old blackpowder guns, even though the projectiles usually were ball shaped. So it might work.

Though the Cowboy Rifle shot lousy with soft actual size 4,5mm Gamo lead balls. With actual size 4,9mm copper plated leadballs, I seem to remember CO2 consumption rose much, and precision did not noticeable improve, so I decided it wasn't worth it. Especially since they are more expensive, and harder to find.

DO NOT USE STEEL BB's IN A RIFLED GUN! Not even for single shot! You will ruin the rifles in the bore! (Just saying, so no one gets a bad idea.)

In fact, I have this completely unproven theory, that shooting copper plated lead BB's, won't wear the bore on a BB gun, as much as steel BB's. So I only use "Smart BB's." A strong reason for me to use soft lead pellets in a BB gun, was also the idea of less wear to the barrel. And they very, very seldom cause ricoshets.

Unfortunately, comparing the accuracy of the Colt with the Remington, isn't that meaningful, because the Remington has such a heavy lousy trigger action, that you just can't compare the two. The Remington will always provide less precision. But as said, one does not buy these replicas for precision shooting.

However these specific revolvers, and the Cowboy Rifle, have such a consistent spread (no fliers), that you can actually shoot quite seriously. With the right size canister, you can compete perfectly seriously with a friend, or test your self. Cans are the same type of targets used in Field Target - they measure "hit - no hit". So as sayed, you just have to choose the right size target. I would say, that for most people, this is 2,5 times the measured spread, when shooting the gun well rested. (I have a semi competition Röhm Twinmaster pistol for precision shooting. It has adjustable palmrest, and a very well shaped grip. The gun stays "glued" to your hand. If it has any spread at 10m, I would say that the gun it self, just slightly widens the hole in the paper target. I like the gun very much, in single action. They aren't made any longer, but if you come across one, I highly reccomend the pistol. It also has 8 shot magazine and DA.)

Other notes. There are very many different shells on the market. Some are interchangeable, some aren't. I saw a compatability chart somwhere. The Remington shells can be used in the Colt, but not vice versa. Do not try using the Remington shells in the Cowboy rifle! The rim has a smaller diameter. And you might damage the rifle mechanism. (If it works att all? I'm not going to try.)

Shells that are loaded in the front/at the tip, are proven to give less power/velocity, because those loaded att the back, actually extend the bore length. Which is a decisive factor. (Look at the ugly long bore, but extreme power "Texan" airrifle.)

I don't write short, do I? ;D

P.S. Today will be another nice day shooting at the beach. :D Sunshine, moderate wind, and 19C / 72F. And some beer at hand. :D
  • Sweden, Stockholm

Offline Beachman

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #22 on: August 31, 2021, 06:31:24 AM »
subscriber,

I haven't posted a sketch yet. ;D There is the question of diameter to the hole for the tube/hose snippet. Compressing it down to 4,30 maximum dia.

I can't se your mail in my inbox? :( I've tried to reload etc. :(
  • Sweden, Stockholm

Online subscriber

• GTA Senior Contributor
  • yes
« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2021, 06:43:14 AM »
Anders,

I used the GTA forum "send email" function.

I basically suggested you email me you sketch.  Then I could email you a CAD file or print file.  I will PM you my email instead.

There can be a few versions with different bb retention tube spaces; but, one has to start somewhere.  A design does not go from nothing to perfect in one iteration.  So, provide what dimension you know are not going to change.

What I can tell you, is that you have my full attention, now.  That cannot last forever.  Once I get bored, I unsubscribe from a thread.  So, get off your donkey, and work on the sketch.  Unless you have decided that you don't need any help.
  • USA

Offline Beachman

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #24 on: August 31, 2021, 04:08:24 PM »
I hear you subscriber. ;)
  • Sweden, Stockholm