Crosman 150 mods??

Jump to

Author Topic: Crosman 150 mods??  (Read 834 times)

Offline cvasquez

• Barrel Cockers
  • yes
Crosman 150 mods??
« on: February 14, 2013, 09:42:20 PM »
Tim, can you itemize what mods you can do to improve the one piece barrel/breech 2nd variant 150 (in terms of power, trigger, and fully adustable rear sights . Also is there any advanatge to swapping a crosman 1400 bolt action barrel cut short for pistol use ? I see it has to have a spacer between the tube and barrel ,will that effect the transfer port ? Could a piece of HW barrel be cut and machined as a replacement? Im interested in keeping it in the stock compact length of 9" or no more than 10".
PS- I dont know what holds the barrel to the lower tube up front ,but if its just the 2 screws in the breech area wouldnt a barrel band benefit keeping the barrel snug and supported up front in back of the front sight ?
  • Plainview,NY

Offline TimmyMac1

• Vendors
  • Old Timers
  • "You've Come A Long Way BB"
    • Mac1 Airgun Distributors
Re: Crosman 150 mods??
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2013, 11:28:59 AM »
Barrel can get Scope grooves.
1400 barrel fits with the same Transfer port sealing arrangement but the seal needs to be fashioned to fit the valve or vice versa as the 1400 seal  is flat both ends and uses a seal guide on the ID to take the load.
The current breeech and barrel arrangements if a thread bushing is made . Barrel support from a Disco for current offerrings or QB to use the .562 barrel from a 1400.
The distance from the back screw to the Breech screw is the same for the SSP250, 150, 140, 1400, 130, 1300 and all the current single shot guns as well. That makes barrel options nearly endless.
Valve can get HOT(high Output tune). There are 1400 barrels on 150's that do over 600 fps. at 10" figure 525 Max. There are HW barrels and LW barrels on every American gun you can name. A lot of them have Venom shrouds and Gen II brakes.
So yes. any barrel you can show a machinist can be profiled and cut from a modern blank and made more accurate as the Crosman tubes often left a lot of accuracy on the table.
Custom Airgunsmithing is only limited to your imagination if you have the budget. If it is something we do on a regular basis there will be some economies of scale to save you on the bottom line but one offs to your print is where the costs start to skyRocket. Paying a $100 Surface refinsihing because you have 4 lbs of stuff and the price would cover 150 lbs of steel. Minimuns for every finishing of your parts will kill you at the anodiser, media blaster, oxide shop, heat treat, surface grinding ect.
150, 400 and 180 have the same valve but do not share barrels as the 180 & 400 were the only relatives in that branch of the Crosman Family.

TimmyMac1
"No Guns Would be a Riot"

Offline cvasquez

• Barrel Cockers
  • yes
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2013, 02:01:32 PM »
When you said barrel can get scope grooves cut are you talking the stock 150 one piece barrel or the 1400 barrel or both ? In your opinion which would make for a better accurate barrel from the stock 150 one piece? I was thinking the JC Higgnes /Sears 1400 barrel. unless the 150 barrel is just as good and can get scope grooved. Once scoped grooved we could have some better rear sight options correct?maybe even peep sites.
  • Plainview,NY

Offline TimmyMac1

• Vendors
  • Old Timers
  • "You've Come A Long Way BB"
    • Mac1 Airgun Distributors
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2013, 03:40:55 PM »
150 barrels, 180, 400, 1400 and a lot of other stuff can get grooves cut. As long as it is .562" or bigger. Longer is generally better but Crosman barrel quality was pretty much hit or miss.
"No Guns Would be a Riot"

Offline cvasquez

• Barrel Cockers
  • yes
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2013, 07:41:58 PM »
Ok Tim, thanks for your quick replys.I dont think I saw any scope grooves on the Ted Williams or JC Higgens/Sears version of the 150. I somehow thought if it was a Sears it would have the grooves.
  • Plainview,NY

How do you word it... "Air Guns" or "AirGuns"?