HW95 Luxus/R9 Questions - State of the Weihrauch 2013

Author Topic: HW95 Luxus/R9 Questions - State of the Weihrauch 2013  (Read 10469 times)

Protos

HW95 Luxus/R9 Questions - State of the Weihrauch 2013
« on: December 28, 2012, 06:50:41 PM »
Hi all,

Decided to pull the trigger on a HW95 Luxus.
This will be my first WEIHRAUCH, so I want to make sure I make smart choices. To that end I have some questions.

I have read that new versions

1. Gun no longer has sights on the barrel or provisions for sights.
2. Barrel came with muzzle break already attached.
3. Gun came with two piece scope mounts. Each mount has four screws for the straps and two screws for the dovetail clamp.
4. Piston liner no longer used.
5. Cocking shoe is redesigned to slide on the edges of the receiver slot instead of sliding on a piston liner.
6. There is now a bolt on bracket that contains the stock mounting screw holes and fixed barrel latch detent instead of a barrel latch detent that's permanently mounted to the receiver tube and stock mounting tabs welded to the receiver tube.
7. Rekord trigger with a gold annodized trigger blade instead of the bare aluminium blades of past R9s I've bought.

** Can anyone direct me to a place to purchase these newer HW95 Luxus. Of particular importance is getting a Luxus with the gold trigger.

This will be my first WEIHRAUCH.

Regards,
Pro*
« Last Edit: December 29, 2012, 04:49:03 PM by Pro »

Offline Petey

• Expert
Re: HW95 Luxus Questions
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2012, 08:59:13 PM »
Just get  a Beeman R9 Same thing.. just picked this up last week.
Call Steve at Pamona Air Guns. Great guy & great Service.

Protos

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2012, 09:08:42 PM »
Petey may I ask if you have any Beeman stamps on your or is it all Weihrauch markings.
The reason I am looking at the HW is that they seem to be a little cheaper on most sites.

Pro*
« Last Edit: December 28, 2012, 09:15:48 PM by Pro »

Offline kelly

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2012, 09:31:40 PM »
Try Airguns of Arizona they have all the new HW's

Kelly
  • goodyear arizona
The Village Idot
and darn proud of it

Offline jdub

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2012, 09:45:08 PM »
HW95 comes with open sights.   R9 comes with muzzle brake.
  • Frisco, TX

Protos

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2012, 10:03:32 PM »
I actually put in an email to Weihrauch to confirm what is going on. Hopefully get a response soon.

The list in the first post is from Ed Canoles on the yellow and he is pretty well respected. So I am slightly confused as to what is available.

Personally I would prefer open sights (nice to have options)

Offline Petey

• Expert
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2012, 10:48:19 PM »
Beeman

Offline jdub

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2012, 10:54:59 PM »
I actually put in an email to Weihrauch to confirm what is going on. Hopefully get a response soon.

The list in the first post is from Ed Canoles on the yellow and he is pretty well respected. So I am slightly confused as to what is available.

Personally I would prefer open sights (nice to have options)
There are at least 3 different versions currently being sold in the USA--two Weihrauch branded and one Beeman branded.  It doesn't sound like Ed is differentiating between the three.  They are the HW95, HW95 Luxus, and Beeman R9.   

Airguns of Arizona sells both the standard HW95 and the HW95 Luxus.  I'd provide a link but their site is pathetic so just go to the main site and look under Weihrauch.   Pyramyd and Straight Shooters both sell the Beeman R9, which has the gold trigger, muzzle brake, and no option for open sights.  Straight Shooters also sells the plain HW95.

With regards to the internals you'll need to check with the retailer to know exactly what you're getting.  I bought a fairly recent HW95 Luxus (with open sights) and mine has the old style cocking shoe (which is a $5 part that can be swapped out with the new) a piston liner (removed when I installed a Vortek kit) and it has the stock mounting brackets machined onto the compression tube.  Petey's is a recent R9 and has the new style cocking shoe and the detachable mounting bracket for the front stock screws.

To summarize, if you want a muzzle brake and gold trigger you want a Beeman R9.  If you want open sights you want an HW95.  The difference between the HW95 standard and Luxus models is the stock.  The Luxus stock has 4 panel checkering and covers the breech block.  The plain model has a shortened fore stock.

I don't think Weihrauch will be able to tell you which retailer is currently carrying which version of the rifle with regards to internals.  Find the one you want and call the retailer and ask them to verify.
  • Frisco, TX

Offline Petey

• Expert
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2012, 11:05:43 PM »
+1

Offline jdub

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #9 on: December 28, 2012, 11:07:49 PM »

** Can anyone direct me to a place to purchase these newer HW95 Luxus. Of particular importance is getting a Luxus with the gold trigger.

Pomona, Pyramyd, and StraightShooters (among others) all carry the Beeman R9, which is what you're describing.
  • Frisco, TX

Offline kelly

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2012, 12:15:13 AM »
one other thing to add to jdub's post is the luxus is an ambi stock and the plain 95 is right hand monte carlo style ...

Peace
Kelly
  • goodyear arizona
The Village Idot
and darn proud of it

Protos

« Reply #11 on: December 29, 2012, 08:21:34 AM »
GREAT information fellows !
Thanks very very much.

Just so I am fully on top of this, is the gold trigger only available on the Beeman ?
If this is the case would it be very expensive to add a gold trigger to the Weihrauch ?

If the HW95 Luxus has the upgraded ambi stock with 4 panels and the open sites, that sounds like what I am after.  (prefer a gun with HW markings)
Also I definitely want the upgraded internals. I do plan to vortek it eventually, so the piston liner ect are not as important, but the newer barrel detent system sound like something I would want for the future (thus necessitating the newer internals)

So far I have only seen the Luxus on the AoA site.

Offline Mark 611

• Old Timer
  • Yoda!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #12 on: December 29, 2012, 10:09:54 AM »
Petey or one of you guy's please take plenty of pix of the newer part of these new HW/Beeman guns so I can see what changes they have made on them like the cocking shoe {etc} I have not seen any of the newer guns apart! I know Petey gettin ready to do a tune up on his new R9 ;) so help me out here guys! :P
54 JUNKYARD AIRGUNS FORUM MEMBER!!!!!
When good men are silent only evil is heard!
Let he who is without SIN cast the first stone!

Offline London177

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2012, 11:15:32 AM »
Hello there,
I have recently bought an "as new" HW95K Luxus here in England. Mine comes with a gold coloured trigger and adjustment screw. As above it has an ambidextrous stock with extra chequering on the fore stock. In the UK (@*#&%(*@&)/moderators are legal so it came with a very quiet Weihrauch made one. It needs it too as the barrel is very short at 12" and it would be a pain to cock without the extra lenght it gives.
My rifle has an English made V-Mach tuning kit fitted (spring, seal and guide). It's super smooth and puts out 11.8 ft/lb with .177 RWS Superdomes. I think a US spec' HW95 with be a bit more powerful.
Good luck with your purchase.
Alan
  • London
You're OK it's just a bruise!

Offline jdub

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #14 on: December 29, 2012, 02:12:07 PM »
Hello there,
I have recently bought an "as new" HW95K Luxus here in England. Mine comes with a gold coloured trigger and adjustment screw. As above it has an ambidextrous stock with extra chequering on the fore stock. In the UK (@*#&%(*@&)/moderators are legal so it came with a very quiet Weihrauch made one. It needs it too as the barrel is very short at 12" and it would be a pain to cock without the extra lenght it gives.
My rifle has an English made V-Mach tuning kit fitted (spring, seal and guide). It's super smooth and puts out 11.8 ft/lb with .177 RWS Superdomes. I think a US spec' HW95 with be a bit more powerful.
Good luck with your purchase.
Alan
The UK models are very different than the models imported to the US.  Both the HW95 and R9 have 16" barrels here and barrels threaded for moderators aren't available (unfortunately :)).   And as you noted, the models here are typically in the 13-15 FPE range.

Sounds like you got a winner.  Does yours have the moderator?   I added a Vortek 12 FPE kit to mine and it's also very smooth and not that loud despite the lack of moderator. 
  • Frisco, TX

Offline Petey

• Expert
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2012, 02:19:43 PM »
Hey Mark,
Here ya go ....I pinched these pictures off the web...Haven't opened my 9 up yet.
I did have the stock off and it matches these photos.

New shoe rides on top of the tube.

Offline jdub

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #16 on: December 29, 2012, 02:21:48 PM »
GREAT information fellows !
Thanks very very much.

Just so I am fully on top of this, is the gold trigger only available on the Beeman ?
If this is the case would it be very expensive to add a gold trigger to the Weihrauch ?
Aftermarket triggers are available in bronze for sure from Tim E.   I have a setback version on my HW95.  Installation takes about 15 minutes and a punch.  I don't know if Tim has a gold colored trigger pressure screw but he uses a shorter version that's not as visible from the side (in order for the setback trigger to clear it).  Just be sure you Loctite it.

Not a great photo but you can see Tim's bronze trigger with a black *short* pressure screw.  The screw isn't noticeable. 

• Frisco, TX

Offline Petey

• Expert
« Reply #17 on: December 29, 2012, 02:30:25 PM »
I know that Trigger!

Offline jdub

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #18 on: December 29, 2012, 02:32:48 PM »
I know that Trigger!
Yeah, but it just looks better on my rifle--know what I mean?  Besides, you have that spiffy R9 that came with the factory bling.  :)
  • Frisco, TX

Offline jdub

• Marksman
  • yes
« Reply #19 on: December 29, 2012, 02:40:37 PM »
The newer models also have the star breech.  Mine has the plain breech seen in that nasty cell phone pic:

Here's an example of the star breech from one of my other HWs. 

• Frisco, TX

GTA - What's been your success with air gun target practice?