Air Gun Hunting In Texas

Author Topic: Air Gun Hunting In Texas  (Read 3046 times)

Offline flattracker23

• Shooter
  • yes
Air Gun Hunting In Texas
« on: December 27, 2012, 06:25:06 PM »
What can you legally hunt in Texas with an air gun?
  • Wolfforth, TX
BAM XSB4-4, 177
Benjamin 392, Williams Peep Sight, 22
Benjamin 397, Walnut, Williams Peep Sight, 177
Benjamin Marauder, 25
Crosman 1322 Pistol, 22
Crosman 2289 Backpacker Carbine, 22
Crosman Custom Shop 2400KT Carbine, 22
Industry Brand B3-1, 22
Industry Brand QB78 Deluxe, Mike Melick Tuned, 22
Sheridan Blue Streak, Circa 1980, 20
Sheridan Silver Streak, Circa 1974, 20
Tech Force TF99 Premier, 22

Offline cactusrat

• Expert
  • Hot part of Texas
Re: Air Gun Hunting In Texas
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2012, 06:45:33 PM »
Nongame animals with a licenses. There is to many regulations to list here. Follow the link and read up before go hunting.

http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/regulations/fish_hunt/hunt/nongame/
Glenn
South Texas

Offline Regular Guy .25

• Old Timer
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2012, 01:06:47 AM »
Great link, thanks for posting cactusrat!
.25 XS28M Flying Dragon Christmas Special

Offline nashtx

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2012, 06:42:25 PM »
Nongame animals with a licenses. There is to many regulations to list here. Follow the link and read up before go hunting.

Thanks for posting this.

WaydeG
Frisco, Tx
  • Tx

Offline howie1968

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2013, 11:28:50 AM »
I am from texas and I called the game warden myself and exactly what the others have said so basically birds rabbits and non fur buring animals, i asked about raccoons they said no as it falls under fur bearer and a air rifle is not legal im glad i found out.
  • Lufkin Texas
the QBs are here
QB78  22  from MM-Incredible shooter

crossman 357- fun fun  gun
crosman 357 with BSA red dot-a total blast
crosman 2240-
crosman 2289-

hawglite pro staff
Texas Boars pro staff
tinks 69 pro staff( hog scent division)
Owner of HCJH guide service
 I specialize in guided night hunts for trophy hogs

Offline flattracker23

• Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2013, 01:53:27 PM »
I thought I read somewhere you could hunt Exotic animal with an airgun in Texas but can not find it now.
  • Wolfforth, TX
BAM XSB4-4, 177
Benjamin 392, Williams Peep Sight, 22
Benjamin 397, Walnut, Williams Peep Sight, 177
Benjamin Marauder, 25
Crosman 1322 Pistol, 22
Crosman 2289 Backpacker Carbine, 22
Crosman Custom Shop 2400KT Carbine, 22
Industry Brand B3-1, 22
Industry Brand QB78 Deluxe, Mike Melick Tuned, 22
Sheridan Blue Streak, Circa 1980, 20
Sheridan Silver Streak, Circa 1974, 20
Tech Force TF99 Premier, 22

Offline Regular Guy .25

• Old Timer
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 06:23:40 PM »
I think that the law regarding exotic species has changed

Offline howie1968

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 07:57:36 PM »
when i spoke to the game warden he stated non game animals  so iasked him about hogs he said yes then i asked about  raccoon he said no it falls under fur bearing , its a crazy law as i can hunt hogs and rabbits with an airgun but not raccoon and squirrel i was ready to hunt raccoon im glad i checked first
  • Lufkin Texas
the QBs are here
QB78  22  from MM-Incredible shooter

crossman 357- fun fun  gun
crosman 357 with BSA red dot-a total blast
crosman 2240-
crosman 2289-

hawglite pro staff
Texas Boars pro staff
tinks 69 pro staff( hog scent division)
Owner of HCJH guide service
 I specialize in guided night hunts for trophy hogs

Offline Regular Guy .25

• Old Timer
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 08:03:10 PM »
Yeah, seems like it takes awhile for hunting regs. to catch up.  I feel pretty confident they will come wround... eventually.

Online only1harry

• One of the original 3 GTA Musketeers (per Gene Curtis)
  • Old Timer
  • ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ! (come and get them)
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 09:26:10 PM »
That is a little strange not to be able to hunt squirrel or raccoon with an airgun in TX. 

I have come to realize that NY finally made the airgun hunting laws very simple for us 2yrs ago as compared to some other states.  It basically says you can take any small game critter with an air gun that is legal to take with rimfire, as long as the AG has a minimum velocity of 600fps.  That includes fur bearers and most small game.  I don't think they could have made it any simpler.
  • NY state
AF Condor .25 (Talon Tunes)
AF Condor .25 (Lemak)
AF Condor .22
Marauder .25
Disco .22
RWS Diana 350 .22
RWS Diana 350 .177
RWS Diana 48 .22
RWS Diana 36 .177
RWS Diana 34K .20 Premium
RWS 5G .177 pistol
Remington NPSS .22
RWS Hammerli 850 .22
Crosman 2240 Custom
Crosman 66
Crosman Air17
Crosman 38T

Offline Regular Guy .25

• Old Timer
« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2013, 10:51:49 PM »
Here was my question to TPWD:
"I am looking for a place to hunt some pigeons and rabbits with my air
(pellet) rifles.  According to what I'vs found and read so far, I can
legally take them with my air rifle as well as the eurasian collered
doves.  I want to take my boy out to the Holland Road unit #2433, where
all three of these species are listed for hunters to take, and do some
hunting with our air rifles."

Here's the answer:
"Our public hunting lands do not allow the use of air/pellet guns or BB
guns for taking any species on our public hunting lands.

The only legal means and methods that may be used to take those species
are with a legal shotgun since that is the only legal firearm that may
be used while hunting dove."

This bummed me out.  Holland Road #2433 is a "private dove lease", open to the public- meaning it is private land that the landowner decided to let us po' folks come out and hunt.  But anyway, hunting rabbits is allowed out there "while hunting doves".  Less than an hour from Killeen, if you're looking for a spot to take your kid dove and rabbit hunting.  But, just shotguns only =(  Starting to miss N.C. pretty badly right now.

Offline limbwalker

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2013, 11:07:06 PM »
I'm afraid airguns won't be viewed as "real guns" in Texas for a long time yet.  Remember, this is the state where many hunters think they need a .300 Win Mag to shoot a 89 lb. whitetail... ::)

John
  • Columbus Texas

Offline cactusrat

• Expert
  • Hot part of Texas
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2013, 11:22:50 PM »
I'm afraid airguns won't be viewed as "real guns" in Texas for a long time yet.  Remember, this is the state where many hunters think they need a .300 Win Mag to shoot a 89 lb. whitetail... ::)

John

You do need a .300. How else are going to get 3 deer in 1 shot. ;)
Glenn
South Texas

Offline OleTomCat

• Tree Rats Beware.
  • Old Timer
  • yes
    • GTA Web Map
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2013, 11:23:22 PM »

John

Unfortunately Tx isn't the only state that holds that opinion.....
  • Summerville, SC
Home Of Air Guns Inc.
Air Gun Tuning and Targets

Air Guns:
Sheridan Blue Streak, aka The Blue Demon Rebuilt Steroid Style By Mac1.
Gamo Silent Cat, tuned by Me, smooth as butter.
Crosman Storm, GRT-III trigger. Crosman N2 Ram. (For Sale)
Gamo Big Cat, GRT-IV Trigger, Custom installed N-Forcer Ram
Hatsan BT65: Big Nasty
FD PCP: ???

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=962067

Offline limbwalker

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2013, 11:32:56 PM »
Oh, I'm sure that's true.  But I've never lived anyplace more in love with their big guns than Texas and AZ.  Unfortunately, many of the same Texans that look down on airguns also look down on bowhunting.  They'll complain about wounding animals, then turn around and take a 500 yard shot with their deer rifle, make a bad hit, and say "well, I guess I missed him..." without ever bothering to go look for blood (if they could even find where the animal stood at that range...)

I hear comments like these far too often.  Most have never seen how lethal a well placed broadhead, or pellet, can be. 
  • Columbus Texas

Offline Regular Guy .25

• Old Timer
« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2013, 12:41:37 AM »
I worked with a guy that hunted deer and hogs regularly with his remington 770 30-06, and turned his nose down at my small game hunting exploits with my air rifle.  The 770 is the cheap rifle with the barrell pinned in.  Comes bundled with a cheap scope for like 300 bux.  Used to talk about how much he loved hunting pigs all the time.  Well one day i got up the nerve to ask him how successful he'd been hunting and apparently he always missed. Never hit a deer or hog in his life, but regularly takes shots at hogs and misses them.  I asked him how well the gun grouped, he told me HE DIDNT KNOW BECAUSE HE NEVER WENT TO THE RANGE!  I was bewildered- there's no telling where all those misses went, or how many animals he'd wounded.  He told me the combo was supposed to come factory zeroed.  I wanted to slap him!  This guy was a servicemember too- a Captain- in the infantry!  I showed him a Mr. Hollowpoint video one time to try to set him straight on air rifles and he went on to talk &^^& about baiting and how it looks like he baited those hogs, and how unethical it is and I'm thinking"sor, how ethical is it to attempt to take game at 100 yards or more with a rifle you've never checked the zero on.  We check the zero on out service rifles ebery time we qualify, seriously!

Offline 02stampede

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2013, 02:37:33 AM »
I worked with a guy that hunted deer and hogs regularly with his remington 770 30-06, and turned his nose down at my small game hunting exploits with my air rifle.  The 770 is the cheap rifle with the barrell pinned in.  Comes bundled with a cheap scope for like 300 bux.  Used to talk about how much he loved hunting pigs all the time.  Well one day i got up the nerve to ask him how successful he'd been hunting and apparently he always missed. Never hit a deer or hog in his life, but regularly takes shots at hogs and misses them.  I asked him how well the gun grouped, he told me HE DIDNT KNOW BECAUSE HE NEVER WENT TO THE RANGE!  I was bewildered- there's no telling where all those misses went, or how many animals he'd wounded.  He told me the combo was supposed to come factory zeroed.  I wanted to slap him!  This guy was a servicemember too- a Captain- in the infantry!  I showed him a Mr. Hollowpoint video one time to try to set him straight on air rifles and he went on to talk &^^& about baiting and how it looks like he baited those hogs, and how unethical it is and I'm thinking"sor, how ethical is it to attempt to take game at 100 yards or more with a rifle you've never checked the zero on.  We check the zero on out service rifles ebery time we qualify, seriously!

Please tell me your buddy was in the Army.. No Marine officer could be that ignorant. No, wait.. We have those too.  ;D

When I read "770" that was enough for me.
  • Texas

Offline limbwalker

• Plinker
  • yes
« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2013, 10:51:46 AM »
Yup, Texas is full of heaps and heaps of "expert" riflemen...  ::)

I grew up here, and sure, we all pretty much grew up shooting rifles of all sorts.

Some people even think that shooting rifles at cow pies and prairie dogs makes them an expert on rifles.

For the life of me, I don't know why TPWD does not allow squirrel hunting with an air rifle.  That's got to be the most ignorant rule I can remember.  I'm going to start writing letters to Carter Smith asking him to look into this.  If they want, they could restrict it to .22 caliber or above, or a minimum ft.lb. of muzzle energy, or whatever.  But a .22 pellet traveling over 600 fps. will cleanly take ANY squirrel, as well all well know. 

Meanwhile, there is nobody regulating the amount of powder I have to use in my .50 cal. Muzzleloader for deer hunting, and we no longer have a 40# minimum for bowhunting.    ::)

Pretty crazy.
  • Columbus Texas

Offline OleTomCat

• Tree Rats Beware.
  • Old Timer
  • yes
    • GTA Web Map
« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2013, 12:32:18 PM »

I grew up here, and sure, we all pretty much grew up shooting rifles of all sorts.

Some people even think that shooting rifles at cow pies and prairie dogs makes them an expert on rifles.

For the life of me, I don't know why TPWD does not allow squirrel hunting with an air rifle.  That's got to be the most ignorant rule I can remember.  I'm going to start writing letters to Carter Smith asking him to look into this.  If they want, they could restrict it to .22 caliber or above, or a minimum ft.lb. of muzzle energy, or whatever.  But a .22 pellet traveling over 600 fps. will cleanly take ANY squirrel, as well all well know. 

Meanwhile, there is nobody regulating the amount of powder I have to use in my .50 cal. Muzzleloader for deer hunting, and we no longer have a 40# minimum for bowhunting.    ::)

Pretty crazy.

I take squirrels in my back yard at about 40 yards with a .177 cooking off at just a tad over 800fps..
  • Summerville, SC
Home Of Air Guns Inc.
Air Gun Tuning and Targets

Air Guns:
Sheridan Blue Streak, aka The Blue Demon Rebuilt Steroid Style By Mac1.
Gamo Silent Cat, tuned by Me, smooth as butter.
Crosman Storm, GRT-III trigger. Crosman N2 Ram. (For Sale)
Gamo Big Cat, GRT-IV Trigger, Custom installed N-Forcer Ram
Hatsan BT65: Big Nasty
FD PCP: ???

https://www.zeemaps.com/map?group=962067

Offline Regular Guy .25

• Old Timer
« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2013, 03:55:29 PM »

Pretty crazy.
I'm pretty sure even a .177 pushing a little over 600 FPS will cleanly take any squirrel, inside 30 yards, if you can put the pellet in the right spot.  Placement is what matters, no matter how big your gun is.  The minimum limit for squirrels ought to be set at 6 or 7 foot pounds.  Maybe make it 8 foot pounds, and that would force crosman and daisy to make their little cheap pumpers live up to the velocity claims  ;) How many of us grew up "hunting" with cheap .177 pumpers pushing about 600 fps, seriously!  It is mind boggling.  It hasn't been very long- maybe a couple of decades- since a kid could be out in a field somewhere, even in a place where a new subdivision was being built- hunting squirrels, rabbits, or even birds with his pellet gun and police would drive by and not give it a thought.  You'd wave because you loved the police- and firemen- and emt's, etc.  and they'd just wave back.  I'd be willing to pay a little extra and qualify with my air rifle at a given distance to be able to hunt with it.  Just IMHO

How do you word it... "Air Guns" or "AirGuns"?