TO ALL FLORIDA SHOOTERS

Jump to

Author Topic: TO ALL FLORIDA SHOOTERS  (Read 4766 times)

Offline americanpatriot10

• Shooters
  • My names says it all, and i love airguns
TO ALL FLORIDA SHOOTERS
« on: August 31, 2012, 04:28:17 PM »
Attention if you are a avid air gun shooter and hunter you probably know that you are not allowed to take game with an air gun in Florida. But, on private property, you may use one to take wild hogs, furbearers and non-native animals. BUT a rule change has been purposed to allow squirrel and rabbit to be taken with airguns! So please go to this link   http://myfwc.com/about/rules-regulations/proposed-rule-changes/hunting/ and comment on how much you support this rule change , i would even call your fwc to put on the pressure to get this rule changed for the 2013 season.   Thank you  :D
  • Florida
I ma do it yourself type of guy

Offline longislandhunter

• Global Moderator
  • Old Timers
Re: TO ALL FLORIDA SHOOTERS
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 04:37:07 PM »
Great news for Florida air gun hunters.... lets hope it passes

Jeff
  • Long Island, New York
If it was easy it wouldn't be hunting it would be shopping.

Offline gandalfretlaw

• Old Timers
  • yes
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 04:38:44 PM »
I commented. Didn't leave my address though. I'm in California and I thought they might not like that.
  • Santa Rosa, CA
Walther Talon Magnum, Benjamin NP XL 1100 22cal, Gamo Whisper, Gamo Big Cat, Gamo Hunter 200, Beeman RS2 Dual Caliber, Beeman Sportster, Ruger Air Hawk, Benjamin 312 (1964), Gamo Cadet-Delta, Shanghai Airguns Under-lever, Crosman Backpacker 2289, Crosman 2040 Ratcatcher 22cal, Crosman 1008, Daisy BB Gun

• Shooters
« Reply #3 on: August 31, 2012, 04:54:40 PM »
Thanks my friend ,nice to see support from all around!
  • Florida

Online only1harry

• Administrator
  • Old Timers
  • ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ! (come and get them)
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2012, 05:08:08 PM »
Excellent news for Florida airgunners and hunters!  We only had that law passed in NY a couple of years ago, but ours allows the taking of all small game with airguns during the appropriate seasons, with the only caviat that the air gun must get at least 600fps at the muzzle.

Glad to see airgun and hunting laws progress in other states.
Harry
  • NY state
AF Condor .25 (Talon Tunes)
AF Condor .25 (Lemak)
AF Condor .22
Marauder .25
Disco .22
RWS Diana 350 .22
RWS Diana 350 .177
RWS Diana 48 .22
RWS Diana 36 .177
RWS Diana 34K .20 Premium
RWS 5G .177 pistol
Remington NPSS .22
RWS Hammerli 850 .22
Crosman 2240 Custom
Crosman 66
Crosman Air17
Crosman 38T

Offline Bullfrog

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2012, 06:24:33 PM »
I was talking to an FWC officer about my Mrod and the changes to our night hunting rules that happened several months ago and it was actually news to him that we could NOT use airguns for squirrel or rabbit the way the regs were written. It was also news to him that there were air guns powerful enough to kill coyotes and hogs.

In reality people have already been using air guns for small game here for a while. Their prohibition on squirrels and rabbits was more of an unintended consequence than a deliberate policy.

In my comment on the rule I asked the Commission to consider allowing us to hunt turkeys with air guns like California allows. Don't know how they will take it. Who knows, they might like the idea of turkey hunters coming from all over and pouring tourist money in to kill Osceolas with a head shot from an air rifle.
« Last Edit: August 31, 2012, 06:29:01 PM by Bullfrog »
  • Ocala, Florida
.25 Mrod Bullpup - "Uglrod"
.177 Mrod
.22 Discovery
.177 Benjamin 397

• Shooters
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2012, 06:51:13 PM »
I just hope we can get our foot in the door lol i think like you said once they realize how powerful and precise they are things will change bid time!!!!
  • Florida

Offline gandalfretlaw

• Old Timers
  • yes
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2012, 06:53:18 PM »
I said that Air Gun hunting for birds and small animal up to about raccoon and coyote were popular through most of the nation. I also mentioned that California allowed turkey hunting. I left off that they don't allow goose and many other strange exceptions (gotta work on that). I also said that air gun hunters are some of the responsible and environmentally friendly hunters. I stated that for air gun the hunters strive for a one shot kill generally to the head.
  • Santa Rosa, CA
Walther Talon Magnum, Benjamin NP XL 1100 22cal, Gamo Whisper, Gamo Big Cat, Gamo Hunter 200, Beeman RS2 Dual Caliber, Beeman Sportster, Ruger Air Hawk, Benjamin 312 (1964), Gamo Cadet-Delta, Shanghai Airguns Under-lever, Crosman Backpacker 2289, Crosman 2040 Ratcatcher 22cal, Crosman 1008, Daisy BB Gun

• Shooters
« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2012, 09:00:46 PM »
I plan to send the them a email so i can explain in depth. and thanks for writing that comment!
  • Florida

Offline Bullfrog

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #9 on: August 31, 2012, 09:08:00 PM »
I too in my comment focused on how modern airgun can take game cleanly and ethically. I spoke more to that point than I did anything else.
  • Ocala, Florida
.177 Mrod
.22 Discovery
.177 Benjamin 397

• Shooters
« Reply #10 on: August 31, 2012, 09:57:47 PM »
Thanks ! the more people who comment eh better i have very high hopes!!!! and great point  :D
  • Florida

Offline UnRest

• Sharp Shooter
  • yes
« Reply #11 on: August 31, 2012, 10:54:22 PM »
wow best news i read all day eh maybe all year  ;D
  • Port Richey, FL
Crosman 2200 Magnum w/ Center Point 4x32 scope
SAG QB79 .22  (from http://flyingdragonairrifles.org )
Titan GP .22 w/ Leapers 3-12x40 AO scope IR and GRT-III trigger (Gene's bushing kit http://www.airguntoys.com/)
Ruger Explorer .177 (my sons)
Crosman 130 .22 2nd variant
Ruger Air Hawk .177(self tuned w/Vortek PG2 kit)w/Leapers 4-16x40 AO scope IR
Daisey 880

Offline Jake

• Hoosier
  • Barrel Cockers
« Reply #12 on: September 01, 2012, 12:06:51 AM »
That's some good news for Floridians, airgun hunting should be legal everywhere IMO.
  • Northwest Indiana
Benjamin HB17 .177

Offline Bullit

• Old Timers
« Reply #13 on: September 01, 2012, 12:34:32 AM »
If it sells more hunting licenses,,,more $$$,,,they'll pass it, I'd hope.    Don't know about Turkeys, those NWTF folks may have something to say.

Offline Bullit

• Old Timers
« Reply #14 on: September 01, 2012, 12:36:26 AM »
I said that Air Gun hunting for birds and small animal up to about raccoon and coyote were popular through most of the nation. I also mentioned that California allowed turkey hunting. I left off that they don't allow goose and many other strange exceptions (gotta work on that). I also said that air gun hunters are some of the responsible and environmentally friendly hunters. I stated that for air gun the hunters strive for a one shot kill generally to the head.
Walter, the geese and most migratory birds are under federal protection, so their rules apply.

Offline Bullfrog

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #15 on: September 01, 2012, 01:10:29 AM »
If it sells more hunting licenses,,,more $$$,,,they'll pass it, I'd hope.    Don't know about Turkeys, those NWTF folks may have something to say.

It will be controversial but we already allow use of a rifle on private land. The NWTF types hate it but hunting turkeys with rifles has been a part of Florida hunting culture for 100 years. It seems like if we can kill them with a .22 or a .270 then why not an air gun?
  • Ocala, Florida
.177 Mrod
.22 Discovery
.177 Benjamin 397

Offline Bullit

• Old Timers
« Reply #16 on: September 01, 2012, 10:39:38 AM »
To play devil's advocate for a second.  I know that getting a good headshot is double tough.  They're always moving it.   Body shots would require alot of energy to be effective and responsible (ie 25-30FPE) since Pellets have no shock effect, like a .22LR or .270.   I think it would take minimum caliber and FPE regulations, to make it feasible.
Since rifles are already allowed, and considering the few air rifles that would meet a minimum Caliber/FPE standard reliably,  Would Fish&Game wanna mess with it in the Enforcement Division? I Don't know if they would, even tho it could be done.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2012, 10:43:40 AM by KYMike »

Offline ShakySarge

• SFC USA INFANTRY (RET)
  • Chat Moderator
  • Old Timers
  • Infantry, 101st ABN DIV 2002-2013
« Reply #17 on: September 01, 2012, 10:56:43 AM »
KY Mike is right on with his statement. I am a Turkey hunter and KNOW how tough it is to get a good shot with a shotgun, muchh less a rifle or bow. With the constant moving you will have very little time for a good head shot. Can it be done? Absolutely, no question that there are some that are experienced aand calm enough to make that shot with an AG. Now on the same note, IF you are using a big bore, you have more options such as the base of the neck or the chest. I prefer the base of the neck with a PB rifle as it causes much less damage to the meat.

I honestly feel that the taking of Turkey should be left to a shotgun IMO of course. I have taken around 30 turkey and trust me gentlemen, if you only wound this bird, it is gone, and your chances of finding it are slim to none in many cases. Especially the osceola in a marsh or even swamp environment. I have taken chest shots at turkeys in flight at less than 30 feet and have had them hit the ground, get up and run, never to be seen again.

Again, Just my opinion.

• Clarksville, Tennessee
Mrod .25,Self tuned 10# spring, 6 inch Gaska tube extension, 3 inch shroud extension, high cheek rest, CP 4-16X40 AO IR

SYNROD .25, Self Tuned, 12# spring with CP 4-16x40 AO IR

2013 possums: 20
2013 coons: 8

Offline habanero69er

• Old Timers
  • yes
« Reply #18 on: September 01, 2012, 11:55:34 AM »
Wrote to FWC, in favor of changing the law.
  • Ormond by the Sea, Florida

Offline Bullfrog

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #19 on: September 01, 2012, 12:43:35 PM »
To play devil's advocate for a second.  I know that getting a good headshot is double tough.  They're always moving it.   Body shots would require alot of energy to be effective and responsible (ie 25-30FPE) since Pellets have no shock effect, like a .22LR or .270.   I think it would take minimum caliber and FPE regulations, to make it feasible.
Since rifles are already allowed, and considering the few air rifles that would meet a minimum Caliber/FPE standard reliably,  Would Fish&Game wanna mess with it in the Enforcement Division? I Don't know if they would, even tho it could be done.

It might would be a mess they would rather avoid. The rifle issue is itself controversial enough. On one hand you have native Floridians like myself who traditionally hunt turkey with rifles. On the other hand you have non native transplants and the NWTF trying to change our traditions because it offends their notions of "ethical" turkey hunting. Its a culture clash and its is going to depend on whether the FWC thinks it will draw in money and whether it offends the notions of the nonnative hunters. Based on what I've read it seems like many people are intrigued by California's allowance of air guns. I've never seen a NWTF type disparage it. So who knows.
  • Ocala, Florida
.177 Mrod
.22 Discovery
.177 Benjamin 397

How do you word it... "Air Guns" or "AirGuns"?