Daystate Wolverine .303 caliber review!

Jump to

Author Topic: Daystate Wolverine .303 caliber review!  (Read 7532 times)

Offline MustangMike

• Old Timers
Re: Daystate Wolverine .303 caliber review!
« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2012, 12:05:40 AM »
it sure is but i doubt i could spend 2400 on a airgun, sorry.. its depressing the prices of these things

im willing to bet aoa only paid 1500ish per gun for them and are raising the price by 1000 per gun. i want a 30cal but unless i win 20 grand i wont be dropping that much on a airgun
  • atx
.25 hatsan at44s-10 (down the road)
.22 disco,  bnm breech & shroud, katana stock, 7" tube extension, leapers 3-12x40AO
.22 ccs 2400kt, extensively modified using the sikes touch.

www.airgunlab.com
www.discosrus.net
Cera Kote services: ddgrego---Designsbydink

Offline rsterne

• Old Timers
  • Mozey-On-Inn and see what Coalmont has to offer
    • Mozey-On-Inn
« Reply #21 on: July 24, 2012, 01:15:45 AM »
He said that the Imperiator pellets in calibre 30 is 7.62 mm and he sizes his ST barrel accordingly.

FX Airguns and Daystate is making their larger calibre rifles around the same pellet, the JSB Imperiator.

As far as I know Daystate barrels are LW

Interesting.... I have a .30 cal LW barrel sitting here and just slugged it.... It measures 0.308" bore diameter, and 0.300" (ie 7.62mm) across the rifling lands.... If the JSB pellets measure 7.62mm, they will basically fall through, barely touching the rifling.... Does that mean that the Daystate barrels are different than the standard .30 cal LW barrel?....

I have a feeling we're talking semantics here.... While airgun calibers, and pellets, are usually measured by the bore diameter (ie grooves), perhaps these new guns and pellets, for whatever reason, are going by their land diameter.... 4.5mm = 0.177".... 5.5mm = 0.217".... 6.35mm = 0.250".... but 7.62mm = 0.300".... I honestly don't think this mystery will be solved until someone slugs a Daystate and an FX and gives us the actual bore size (ie groove diameter) which dictates the pellet head size.... or we get to measure some of the new JSB pellets....

Bob
Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
Airsonal:
.177 Diana 34, 1750 CO2 Carbine, .177 Uber-Pumper, .22 Uber-Carbine, .25 Discovery, 2260 PCP 8-shot Carbine (Grouse Gun), 2260 PCP Rifle (37 FPE), 2560 PCP Rifle (52 FPE), .22 BAM B-26, .22 BAM B-51, Hatsan AT-4410 Long (70 FPE),
"Hayabusa" Custom PCP Project (Mk.I is .22 & .25 cal regulated; Mk.II is .224, .257, .308 & .357 unregulated; working on the Mk.III, a .410 shotgun, and .458 cal)

Offline Nomadic Pirate

• Hog Seeker
  • Old Timers
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2012, 06:22:33 AM »
oh my, i think im in love.. yup its love, forget fx i will be buying one of these....

and i just saw the price tag and now have a broken heart

Agreed. ~$2400 is a lot of money. But it is a very nicely done piece of kit.

Price tag is actually 2700 :) :)
  • North Shore Oahu Hawaii
Evanix Rainstorm II    .357 "Tuned"
Evanix StormPup  II    .25 "Tuned"
Evanix RainStorm II    .25
Evanix TactiStorm II    .22
Evanix Blizzard             .22 "Tuned"

Offline Nomadic Pirate

• Hog Seeker
  • Old Timers
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2012, 06:23:12 AM »
He said that the Imperiator pellets in calibre 30 is 7.62 mm and he sizes his ST barrel accordingly.

FX Airguns and Daystate is making their larger calibre rifles around the same pellet, the JSB Imperiator.

As far as I know Daystate barrels are LW

Interesting.... I have a .30 cal LW barrel sitting here and just slugged it.... It measures 0.308" bore diameter, and 0.300" (ie 7.62mm) across the rifling lands.... If the JSB pellets measure 7.62mm, they will basically fall through, barely touching the rifling.... Does that mean that the Daystate barrels are different than the standard .30 cal LW barrel?....

I have a feeling we're talking semantics here.... While airgun calibers, and pellets, are usually measured by the bore diameter (ie grooves), perhaps these new guns and pellets, for whatever reason, are going by their land diameter.... 4.5mm = 0.177".... 5.5mm = 0.217".... 6.35mm = 0.250".... but 7.62mm = 0.300".... I honestly don't think this mystery will be solved until someone slugs a Daystate and an FX and gives us the actual bore size (ie groove diameter) which dictates the pellet head size.... or we get to measure some of the new JSB pellets....

Bob

Bingo !!!

Offline silverback2000

• shooting gets my son out of the house
  • Shooters
  • yes
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2012, 07:12:59 AM »
What a great gun I might cycle over to the factory and see if I can have a look. Bit of a waste for UK though even if you get one on fire arms certificate the law says what you can shoot with Air weapons and the rabbit is the biggest. Maybe the hare. And they are nice with tiny holes in them. Or am I wrong is it just bird quarry that is stated in British law? Help me out brits.
  • Staffordshire England
Just got back into Air rifles with a Stoeger x20 supressor

Offline Rescue35

• Old Timers
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2012, 09:03:57 AM »

Price tag is actually 2700 :) :)

At that point $300 does not matter. The scope that goes on it will probably be twice that much.

It does sound like it will be a bit heavy but no more so than my Dragon Slayer.
  • Trenton, TN
"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." -Wernher von Braun

Career Dragon Slayer .50/.30, 4-16 FFP Mil/Mil
Career Ultra 9mm
Career III Carbine .25
2260 PCP converted
1322 supercharged

Offline acourvil

• Shooters
  • yes
« Reply #26 on: October 23, 2012, 03:20:48 PM »
I know this thread has been quiet for a while, but it seems like the best one to follow the info about the Wolverine barrel measurements and the possibility of cast bullets.

I measure the pellets as having a .300 head and .308 skirt.  I haven't done any direct measurements of the bore grooves or landings because I am reluctant to take the shroud off, and the crown is too far inside the shroud to measure without doing that.

I really would like to have a cast alternative to the JSB pellets.  Mr. Hollowpoint says that they have tried their existing .308 bullets and they are too big, and that if he gets confirmed measurements of the barrel that he will do a new mold.

Has anyone else measured the Wolverine barrel (grooves and landings)?   Or taken off the Wolverine shroud to get access to the barrel crown?  It looks like the threaded part would likely unscrew to release the main part of the shroud, but at this point I'm reluctant to try it for fear of messing up the alignment.
  • San Jose, CA

Offline rsterne

• Old Timers
  • Mozey-On-Inn and see what Coalmont has to offer
    • Mozey-On-Inn
« Reply #27 on: October 23, 2012, 10:12:43 PM »
Push a pellet into the bore an inch or so, and then using a soft rod, push it back out the breech and measure it.... It should be a simple matter to measure the diameter across the rifling marks, provided there are an even number of lands.... Likewise, if the bore groove diameter is smaller than the head of the pellet it should be scraped away.... If there are no marks on the head between the rifling marks the pellet head is smaller than the groove diameter....

It may not be perfect, but it's more information....

Bob
Dominion Marksman Silver Shield - 5890 x 6000 in 1976, and downhill ever since!
Airsonal:
.177 Diana 34, 1750 CO2 Carbine, .177 Uber-Pumper, .22 Uber-Carbine, .25 Discovery, 2260 PCP 8-shot Carbine (Grouse Gun), 2260 PCP Rifle (37 FPE), 2560 PCP Rifle (52 FPE), .22 BAM B-26, .22 BAM B-51, Hatsan AT-4410 Long (70 FPE),
"Hayabusa" Custom PCP Project (Mk.I is .22 & .25 cal regulated; Mk.II is .224, .257, .308 & .357 unregulated; working on the Mk.III, a .410 shotgun, and .458 cal)

Offline acourvil

• Shooters
  • yes
« Reply #28 on: October 24, 2012, 06:45:50 PM »
That makes sense, I'll give that try when I get a chance.  Thanks
  • San Jose, CA

Offline lastedtiger

• Sharp Shooter
« Reply #29 on: October 25, 2012, 03:42:42 AM »
we have a winner here!It's a good looking airgun in my opinion but there is  no way on earth i am spending 2700$ on an air gun unless i win the lotto,lol!For that price,i rather get another AG+2 AR's!
I am sure a lot of you folks have deep pockets......
« Last Edit: October 25, 2012, 07:50:54 AM by lastedtiger »
  • New york
Air force condor .22
Air force condor .25
Evanix Rainstorm .22
Benjamin Marauder .22
Benjamin Marauder Pistol
Stoeger x20 .177

Offline acourvil

• Shooters
  • yes
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2012, 11:05:16 PM »
Push a pellet into the bore an inch or so, and then using a soft rod, push it back out the breech and measure it.... It should be a simple matter to measure the diameter across the rifling marks, provided there are an even number of lands.... Likewise, if the bore groove diameter is smaller than the head of the pellet it should be scraped away.... If there are no marks on the head between the rifling marks the pellet head is smaller than the groove diameter....

O.k., I tried this with a couple of pellets.  The result was that the head was just barely marked, not enough to measure differently, at least not by me using a hand-held caliper.  The skirt did get "trimmed" to what looks to me like .304.  Enough so that the pellet rolls in almost a straight line instead of the slight arc of the pellet straight out of the tin.  For both pellets, the trimming seemed to be mostly one one side, not uniformly around the skirt. 

I think I might try to figure out a way to shoot a pellet into a tub of water or something to see what the pellet looks like if it goes all the way through the barrel.  I wonder how far it needs to go in water to slow sufficiently?  My wife would not be happy if I put a hole in our bathtub . . . .
  • San Jose, CA

Offline Nomadic Pirate

• Hog Seeker
  • Old Timers
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2012, 05:28:28 AM »
A few well, well soaked Phone books will retain a domed pellet pretty unscanted

Offline Rescue35

• Old Timers
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2012, 08:43:50 AM »
You could do like Lloyd does and stuff a PVC pipe with plastic bags. I've used my own version of this and it works well.
  • Trenton, TN
"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing." -Wernher von Braun

Career Dragon Slayer .50/.30, 4-16 FFP Mil/Mil
Career Ultra 9mm
Career III Carbine .25
2260 PCP converted
1322 supercharged

Offline Novaphoton

• Shooters
  • yes
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2014, 09:55:37 PM »
I like it . It will be my next air rifle. I hear its deadly accurate with those JSB pellets. I predict Evanix ,SamYang,& Hatsan will be jumping on board with .30 cal guns
within a year .. You will start to see more pellet varieties soon.     
  • Virginia Beach
Frederico Suavae

How do you word it... "Air Guns" or "AirGuns"?